• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Smash Bros What is your likes and dislikes you have for Smash Ultimate?

I love all the returning characters because I missed the ice climbers and pichu (even though it?s dumb that he damages himself) also I?m happy they brought back a lot of stages even though I?m sad the poke float map wasn?t brought back from melee. I?m still pretty meh with their story mode they never seem to be able to make a fun story mode that isn?t monotonous and repetitive. Also like a lot of others I would love if the brought back break the targets and the other fun mini game like challenges.

Last edited:
I love pretty much everything.
Except for the awful online. How the **** did it ever end up like this. It's so laughably bad and Nintendo should be ashamed. Seriously, I miss For Glory. That had it's flaws but it was worlds better.

I don't mind it in the sense that there's basically only one mode and it's ranked, the mode I would play anyway. I see what they tried to do and I don't particularly dislike the idea, the problem being none of it works.

I have my preferences as 1v1, no items, regular 'default' stages (I kinda like the random layouts and SOME hazards), the issue being that I may as well turn preferences off since I seem to get those rules more when I don't want them. I've probably had more 'free for all' 1v1v1 and 2v2 matches despite my preferences

The matchmaking I've found to be absolutely horrendous as well. I more regularly get matched with people upto 100,000+ GSP below or above me, which either means I'm destroying the other player or getting destroyed.

Sure, it was fun the first time 3 stocking the 50,000 GSP Sonic player who just could not smash me at 400%+...Not so much when it happens constantly. Same for when I get 3 stocked whilst barely touching a 250,000+ GSP player, it just ain't fun. It can't be fun for any player in those matches.

I love pretty much everything.
Except for the awful online. How the **** did it ever end up like this. It's so laughably bad and Nintendo should be ashamed. Seriously, I miss For Glory. That had it's flaws but it was worlds better.

Well I'm glad I'm not paying for it. I hope Pokemon and Animal Crossing have good online then.

I love all the returning characters because I missed the ice climbers and pichu (even though it’s dumb that he damages himself) also I’m happy they brought back a lot of stages even though I’m sad the poke float map wasn’t brought back from melee. I’m still pretty meh with their story mode they never seem to be able to make a fun story mode that isn’t monotonous and repetitive. Also like a lot of others I would love if the brought back break the targets and the other fun mini game like challenges.

PokeFloats isn't back? I thought they did all stages smh.

I don't mind it in the sense that there's basically only one mode and it's ranked, the mode I would play anyway. I see what they tried to do and I don't particularly dislike the idea, the problem being none of it works.

I have my preferences as 1v1, no items, regular 'default' stages (I kinda like the random layouts and SOME hazards), the issue being that I may as well turn preferences off since I seem to get those rules more when I don't want them. I've probably had more 'free for all' 1v1v1 and 2v2 matches despite my preferences

The matchmaking I've found to be absolutely horrendous as well. I more regularly get matched with people upto 100,000+ GSP below or above me, which either means I'm destroying the other player or getting destroyed.

Sure, it was fun the first time 3 stocking the 50,000 GSP Sonic player who just could not smash me at 400%+...Not so much when it happens constantly. Same for when I get 3 stocked whilst barely touching a 250,000+ GSP player, it just ain't fun. It can't be fun for any player in those matches.

I'm happy that they at least offered an alright solution for the moment 1 or 2 weeks in, I am finding it easier to get my preferred settings than week 1. I've almost gotten nothing but 1v1s with stocks, which is good because that's exactly what I want, but I also don't wanna fight some idiot with 3 stock 3 minutes as their preferred rules and they're playing as some super campy character on like Temple or some BS.

My own preferred ruleset is 3 stocks, 7 minutes, 1v1, no items, Battlefield/Omega stages. I'm picky when it comes to rules, but I am a competitive player and I have been for the past 4 or 5 years. Granted, on paper, what Nintendo did with the online doesn't sound so bad. But they should at least add a toggleable option that makes it where any opponent you face has to have the same ruleset as you or something similar. And I agree that they should improve the matchmaker too. I consider myself decent at Smash, but just as I don't wanna stomp someone who just picked up a controller for the first time, I also don't wanna get stomped by some god-tier player who plays Smash 24/7 and is aspiring to be the next M2K or ZeRo or something. I have well over 2,000,000 GSP on my best characters, and I still find myself going against people who barely have 1,000,000 GSP and stomping them.

Glad that I'm not the only one who thinks online is total crap and a step backwards from Wii U and (god forbid) even the 3ds. What were they even smoking?

Also l wish the game has more of a real better story mode
another, they made some fighers weak for no reasons

Last edited:
Likes: All the characters are back, world of light looks at least somewhat interesting, and classic mode is available.

Dislikes: The controls feel clunky for some reason? Maybe it’s just because I’m using joycons (don’t have enough money to justify buying a pro controller right now), but for some reason it actually feels more slower paced than Smash for the Wii U. Also, is cross air movement not a thing anymore? Seems I can only ever go up and down, left and right, and that’s it.

Oh, and let’s not forget about online. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I like the insane amount of characters in ultimate, however i do not like how much damage counters do.

I remember in melee Marth and Roy's counter do a very small amount of damage, still rewarding when pulled off.

Last edited:
Love that every character return

Hate that not every stage returned

- - - Post Merge - - -

I seriously lost tbt cause of an error on this site
Oh, cmon

Last edited:
So as someone who's been playing Ultimate since release:

* Better online matchup options - say what you want about the online, but having to choose between only timed with items or stock with no items in Smash 4 was painful, as someone who prefers items but also plays stock. For me, the options I mainly care about is items on, default stages (including "gimmicky" ones) on and stock.
* Everyone Is Here
* Including most old stages
* Spirit battles are fun!
* World of Light was also fun!

Dislikes:
* Still no Rhythm Heaven fighter/AT/stage. I'm so starved for RH Smash content aside from spirits/trophies/stickers I don't even need a fighter, just a stage or AT (something shown in battle) would be good (though at this point it's a fighter or nothing, so keeping my fingers crossed for a RH fighter in the new Fighter's Pass!)
* Trophies are gone - would be fun if spirits also had descriptions of the characters
* Pokefloats didn't return, would love to have that in a game that isn't Melee
* Ramblin' Evil Mushroom item - just why? Reversing directions is just annoying... this is the only item I keep off
* Still no Waluigi as a fighter - with a necessary disclaimer that I genuinely like him as more than just a "meme character" (which seems like a way too easy way to dismiss characters you don't like tbh), feel he's a character with unused potential and have been wanting a Waluigi game for a long time now, and Waluigi in Smash since before Smash 4) I've accepted that he's just an assist trophy in the game, but still hoping to play as him in a future release

Back