• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details!

What do you guys think of the idea of selling the island to Tom Nook?

Selling our Island to Tom Nook?

• Yes

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • Nope

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • I don't know

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters

HappyTails

On Indefinite Hiatus
Bells
In New Leaf, when we want to restart our towns, depending on how far we were and everything, Tom Nook gave us the option to buy our town for a set amount of Bells to start with in our new towns. What are you guy's thoughts of them adding that feature to New Horizons?

I personally don't think it's a feature we necessarily need as most people likely won't utilize it since most people aren't habitual resetters, and I love the idea of starting from scratch, but I won't mind if they did add it though because even if you get bells, they were Bells you earned from your previous island.

My opinion is pretty much shared with a lot of people on this thread. It wouldn't be a feature I would use since I have no desire to reset my island. Although a few months ago, this would have been different since I reset like 4 times since the game's release last year. And as someone who is prioritizing getting villager's pic over anything else, Bells isn't a priority for me. The minute I get them I spend them anyways, so..... That's just a me problem though. Unfortunately my real life money saving and budgeting habits do not extend to this game.

I would welcome the feature if they did choose to add it, but nowadays I personality wouldn't use it.

Edit: I forgot to mention that in New Leaf, Tom Nook gave you the option to keep or sell your catalogue to him for an extra amount of Bells if you choose to sell. So if they did add the feature here, I see that same thing happening, giving us the option to sell or keep our catalogue or maybe our DIYs. But what do I know? XD

Last edited:
I mean... He already owns the island, we're just employed by him lol.
Aside from that I don't personally have any use for such a feature, I wouldn't be against it being in the game, but I doubt they'll do it again, maybe with the final update if any.

Personally I dont really care.

If I was to restart, bells would be the least of my worries. I would want to keep my diys as they take a looooong time to get.
Getting bells is a huge part of the fun of Animal Crossing so I wouldn't go for that option if I was restarting.

But my opinion does not matter this time around because I will never ever restart my island.
I love it too much.

Honestly, I don't even care about the bells aspect of it. Give us the ability to start a new island but keep our cataloged items, tools, phone apps, etc. With only one island allowed per Switch, having a "new game+" type feature would be a lifesaver. I would have already done it. I just really don't feel like unlocking all the items again, or going through the real world days and months to unlock Nook upgrades, terraforming, etc.

Yeah, it does seem like Bells are pretty much the last priority in this installment of the series. It's the long tutorial and unlocking certain features that most people are less inclined to have to deal with again. You can just buy bells and become an insta-bellinare, but you can't buy your way out of the forced tutorial. lol

It's a feature that I wouldn't mind been in the game for anyone who wanted to use it but personally it isn't something I'd probably do. I'm happy with my island and the map I have and haven't really had any desires to restart and as other have said a lot of things on the island are more valuable then bells, such as all the items collected, DIYs and my progress on all the Nook achievements which are all harder to obtain so I'd rather have a feature that allowed me to keep these, or even a choice where I had to pick between keeping my catalogue or all my DIYs if I wanted to restart.

I wouldn't mind if they would add a similar feature to NH. Although imo it would be more helpful if you could just buy in exchange for bells or Nook Miles options to rename your island along with your character, alternative an option to give the resident rep job to another character so that you don't have to restart from scratch if you just want to have a different island/character name or switching out the resident rep.

It's a feature that I wouldn't mind been in the game for anyone who wanted to use it but personally it isn't something I'd probably do. I'm happy with my island and the map I have and haven't really had any desires to restart and as other have said a lot of things on the island are more valuable then bells, such as all the items collected, DIYs and my progress on all the Nook achievements which are all harder to obtain so I'd rather have a feature that allowed me to keep these, or even a choice where I had to pick between keeping my catalogue or all my DIYs if I wanted to restart.

I get exactly what you are saying. My priority had always been bells, because I can't save or budget worth a darn but now my priority is collecting DIYs and building my relationship with my villagers and hopefully get their pictures. Bells you can just buy. In the beginning of my New Horizons journey, I would have utilized the selling island for bells, feature if we had it, but my relationship with my villagers are very high right now, and those relationships were not easy to build. Bells can't buy that friendship level. So I get exactly what you are saying about other things being a lot more valuable.

I wouldn't mind if they would add a similar feature to NH. Although imo it would be more helpful if you could just buy in exchange for bells or Nook Miles options to rename your island along with your character, alternative an option to give the resident rep job to another character so that you don't have to restart from scratch if you just want to have a different island/character name or switching out the resident rep.

I like that idea. That would actually be a pretty cool feature.

I had stopped playing (and resetting) NL before they introduced the sell your town option, but I suppose I can see the appeal of having at least something to fall back on when you reset. But again, I agree with others in here that bells are very much not my priority any more and if I did reset I know it would be easy to regain those - the loss of DIYs would be more of a blow to me, along with the loss of all cataloged items. I can't see it being added any time soon but maybe later down the line where there's potentially a higher number of people resetting that would make it worth implementing such a feature

I don’t really want to sell my town right now, nor do I want to restart, but it would be nice if I I ever did, to have the option to keep my catalog and maybe DIY.

Last edited:
Not that I ever would since starting over just seems daunting, but I thought it was a great idea for those back in NL who wanted to reset their town! I'd vote for it to come back!

honestly, i don’t really have an opinion on this lol as since i won’t ever be resetting my island, this feature isn’t one that i’d use. that being said, i know others would benefit from it so if this feature were to ever be added in, i wouldn’t be mad about it aha.

I would like the feature just because I would like the option of it being there. I don't know if I will ever actually restart. I never restarted in New Leaf either but it's nice to know that I could.

I reset after a few months to get my perfect island, so I doubt I'll reset again, but I would still love for them to add the feature, mainly to keep my catalog, money and DIYs.

I can see this being added back in for people who restarted their island since its been happening a lot last year and this year. I mean most people fail to find out that they lose all their bells in their ATM when they restart. Tom Nook made it clear when you go into Settings on the Title screen that deleting your save data is risky and everything that you worked so hard for even your villagers, diys, donations, and nook miles are all gone.

Since we don't have the Plaza tree from New Leaf I will assume Tom Nook will be the one buying the island out from you and I think it would depend on how many days you have played on the island and how many items you have in your catalog. Bells are something that is hard to earn in the game even when you start over so it will be a good idea to have a lot of bells just to rebuild the bridges/inclines and moving buildings.

It would be an interesting feature, but I personnally wouldn't use it. I don't really mind the long tutorial, I think unless you're a serial resetter who starts a new island every 3 weeks, it's quite nice to have a change of pace when you restart. Having no bells is also a good incentive to go fishing, or try to catch bugs, which I find I do less when I'm further in the game.

Personally I'd love to have something like a time capsule, where you could maybe leave a few of your favorite items and a letter to your future island, or like a screenshot of your old island. That would be very cute !

But I don't know how it would work seeing as now to reset you have to erase the save data on your console, instead of talking to Tom Nook in game.

Back