• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

What are your favorite obscure Christmas specials?

Mariah

quick pickle
Bells
Black Famous Mushroom
Black Famous Mushroom
Dark Easter Egg
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll
What movies do you watch every year that you’ve never heard anyone else talk about and they don’t play on tv anymore?
I would watch Nick and Noel every year.
Olive The Other Reindeer is another favorite.

Can I mention TV series, and I dunno the actual obscurity cause I almost never bump into Keeping up Appearances fans online, and not a lot of them in real life either.

"The Father Christmas Suit" special is awesome..generally the whole series is A++ material and everyone should watch it.

4022701_sa.jpg

The Tangerine Bear came out in 2000 and was on tv for a few years after that but it seems to have disappeared from the airwaves since then.It's a nice story about a plush bear who has his smile accidentally sewn on upside down and has a hard time finding a home because of that.

MV5BMTUxMTY5MjAxN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzYzNTkwMzE@._V1_.jpg

Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas was kind of popular when it was released in 1977.I seem to remember that HBO produced it and they ran it like crazy for several years but it's hard to find it on television anymore.The story is about a poverty stricken otter who tries to win some money in a local talent show so he can buy his mother a Christmas present.Pretty nice work by Jim Henson and his gang of Muppeteers plus some good original music written by Paul Williams.

Can I mention TV series, and I dunno the actual obscurity cause I almost never bump into Keeping up Appearances fans online, and not a lot of them in real life either.

"The Father Christmas Suit" special is awesome..generally the whole series is A++ material and everyone should watch it.
This is the British show, right? I remember very little of it beyond one time where she got really drunk by accident and was babbling on about "Geeseberry woon" rather than gooseberry wine and I remember that highly amused me as a child haha.

On the subject of British Christmas specials though...I like most of them and have definitely rewatched the older Christmas specials of Gavin and Stacey, The Royle Family....and admittedly Only Fools and Horses where they became millionaires. I probably don't seek them out though, it's more that I see they're on tv and decide I'll watch them.

View attachment 418468
The Tangerine Bear came out in 2000 and was on tv for a few years after that but it seems to have disappeared from the airwaves since then.It's a nice story about a plush bear who has his smile accidentally sewn on upside down and has a hard time finding a home because of that.

View attachment 418471
Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas was kind of popular when it was released in 1977.I seem to remember that HBO produced it and they ran it like crazy for several years but it's hard to find it on television anymore.The story is about a poverty stricken otter who tries to win some money in a local talent show so he can buy his mother a Christmas present.Pretty nice work by Jim Henson and his gang of Muppeteers plus some good original music written by Paul Williams.

Omg, we have the vhs of emmet otter's jug-band christmas! No joke! We have a severely impacted autistic family member and one of his obsessions is vhs tapes. Watching the tapes can be a kind of torture, as tracking is off, tapes degraded, player is ancient, etc. But he loves watching vhs tapes, and emmet otter is one of his favorites, lol.

This is the British show, right? I remember very little of it beyond one time where she got really drunk by accident and was babbling on about "Geeseberry woon" rather than gooseberry wine and I remember that highly amused me as a child haha.
Yesss, the one. Pronounced 'boo-kay' And yeah I've seen the regular episode like 10 times each since they did massive re-runs here before, love that stuff!

1639246091189.jpeg

Does anyone remember Nestor The Long-Eared Donkey? I also used to love watching the Prancer movies.

We agree on something 😂. Keeping Up Appearances is the funniest show ever. The three piece suite episode especially…and the one where she’s jealous of people going on vacation so she strategically places vacation brochures for Elizabeth to see LOL.

We agree on something 😂. Keeping Up Appearances is the funniest show ever. The three piece suite episode especially…and the one where she’s jealous of people going on vacation so she strategically places vacation brochures for Elizabeth to see LOL.
Good start 👍

Yeah their sofa being delivered by Onslow & Co was actually the first ep I saw 🤣

"The broch- The Bouquet residence, the lady of the house speaking!"

I watched a stream one year where this guy was hosting all sorts of Xmas specials. One of them was something like Tokyo Godfathers? It's not really a Christmas movie, but it was very well done. I didn't stay for all of it, but what I did see was nice.

Most of the other specials were oldies that were funny to watch with their peanut gallery. You know it'd be cool if we could hold something akin to that for the tbt members. That'd probably be a lot of fun.

I don't really have that many "obscure" Christmas specials that I watch, though since it was mentioned earlier in the thread, I did see Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas on a stream a few years back and found it enjoyable. I feel like maybe it's not that well known nowadays among my generation and younger, though I could very well be wrong.

I also learned of a movie a few years ago called Anna and the Apocalypse, which is a musical set during Christmastime when a zombie apocalypse breaks out. I'm not much of a musical person but I liked it and have watched it in the past couple years. It came out back in 2017 and most people are burned out on zombie media as far as I know, so I'd assume it flies under the radar too.

I don't tend to have that much time to watch movies during the holidays due to preparations and baking taking up my time, but I sometimes make time on Christmas Eve or Christmas evening for the original 1974 version of Black Christmas, and occasionally I'll pop in Michael Dougherty's 2015 movie Krampus. That's about it. Sometimes it's nice to have those old Rankin/Bass specials on in the background though, and can't go wrong with the cartoon version of How The Grinch Stole Christmas either. I'd probably go for Die Hard too if it wasn't so long; I haven't watched that in years because of its runtime.

I watched a stream one year where this guy was hosting all sorts of Xmas specials. One of them was something like Tokyo Godfathers? It's not really a Christmas movie, but it was very well done. I didn't stay for all of it, but what I did see was nice.
Tokyo Godfathers is the name, yes, directed by the late Satoshi Kon. Good movie, I watched it a few years ago.

Most of the other specials were oldies that were funny to watch with their peanut gallery. You know it'd be cool if we could hold something akin to that for the tbt members. That'd probably be a lot of fun.
Tokyo Godfathers is one of my favorite Christmas movies!

Back