• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

What are some of your favourite classic movies?

Holla

Salmon Run Survivalist
Bells
Golden Salmonid Egg
Golden Salmonid Egg
Golden Salmonid Egg
Golden Salmonid Egg
Golden Salmonid Egg
Turquoise Squid Easter Egg
I recently re-watched the Back to the Future Trilogy the other day and it made me realize that it's probably my favourite classic (especially the first movie) even though it came out about a decade before my time.

What are your favourite classic movie(s)? Anything that isn’t super new can basically be considered classic. So roughly a decade or older.

Edit: another fave of mine I'd like to add is Forrest Gump it's from about 2 years before my time.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head...hoping these count as classics! Jaws, Jurassic Park, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, Pulp Fiction...does The Goonies count?

My favorites would have to be the old Star Wars series with "The Empire Strikes Back" being my favorite!

Casablanca(1942)
The Adventures of Robin Hood(1938)
Captain Blood(1935)
The Ten Commandments(1956)
Cabaret(1972)
Patton(1970)
The Sound of Music(1965)
Amelie(2001)
Lord Of The Rings Trilogy(2001-2003)
My Fair Lady(1964)
The Searchers(1956)
The Quiet Man(1952)
The Godfather Part I & II(1972-1974)
Close Encounters Of The Third Kind(1977)
Gigi(1958)
The Princess Bride(1987)
Apocalypse Now(1979)
Goodfellas(1990)
The Empire Strikes Back(1980)
Lock,Stock And Two Smoking Barrels(1998)
Victor/Victoria(1982)
Slap Shot(1977)
Amadeus(1984)

Last edited:
Sometimes I'm not entirely sure how much time it takes before a classic film becomes a classic, but I've got a few that are my absolute favorites:
  • Lawrence of Arabia (1962)- Like a Western in the Middle East.
  • Dollars Trilogy (1964-1966)- A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Beautiful cinematography, fun action, and iconic music from Ennio Morricone. I really appreciate the slower pace of older films too.
  • Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)- See above. It has such a beautiful score too.
  • The Dirty Harry films (1971)- Also a fun watch.
  • Stand By Me (1986)- A great coming of age film.
  • Good Will Hunting (1997)- It has Robin Williams in it, enough said. But it is very emotional.
  • Joyeux Noël (2005)- A war film based on the true story of the Christmas truce during WWI.
  • Letters from Iwo Jima (2006)- Another war film about the Japanese point of view during the battle of Iwo Jima.

My favorites are Mulan, all the Charlie Brown movies, and Elf if it counts now but Idk if it does lol.

Not sure what counts as a classic but some of my favorite movies are
Muppet Treasure Island
Hook
The Fifth Element
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Rocky Horror Picture Show
The Iron Giant
Spirited Away
Howel's Moving Castle
Toy Story (all 4 are great)
Pom Poko
Whisper of the Heart

it's funny, I was just about to say that BTTF is my favorite classic movie because... well, it's my favorite movie of all time! I also love National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation :p

All of the Olsen Banden films (Olsen Gang).
They're probably avaliable with English subtitles somewhere, I certainyl implore any, and everyone to watch them.
Here's a documentary in English about the movies.

The Thin Man movies
The Philadelphia Story
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
His Girl Friday
Holiday Inn
Shall We Dance (Rogers & Astaire)
Easter Parade
Summer Stock
Mister Roberts
Wife vs. Secretary
Singin' in the Rain
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
Jane Eyre
The Women

There are others, but these are the ones that come to mind.

i'm taking classic to mean movies that are critically acclaimed or cult classics that have cemented themselves in pop culture for a decade or so minimum i guess

the first few original Halloween films (1-4)
The Thing
the original planet of the apes saga
mr. sardonicus
enemy mine
poltergeist
leprechaun
the candyman
mars attacks!
thirteen ghosts
bicentennial man
weird science
little shop of horrors
alien
dave
gremlins
evil dead
pet sematary
beetlejuice
the princess bride
the truman show
night of the living dead
young frankenstein
killer klownz from outer space
more in the last 15 years but i love terrifier

there's a good amount for ya

I recently re-watched the Back to the Future Trilogy the other day and it made me realize that it's probably my favourite classic (especially the first movie) even though it came out about a decade before my time.

What are your favourite classic movie(s)?

Edit: another fave of mine I'd like to add is Forrest Gump it's from about 2 years before my time.

Homeward Bound and The thing. I loved both of them equally and still love horrors and dog movies to this day!

2 movies i absolutely adore: What ever happened to baby Jane 1962 and Rosemary's baby 1968
They are both considered horror movies. But Baby Jane is more a comic and Rosemary's baby is more an psychological thriller.

The only ones I can actually think of are Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (deffo need to rewatch it in English someday, rather than Flemish), E.T. and Ghostbusters (the first one was better than the second imho). :p

Back