• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Villagers won't ask to leave - Been 2 weeks

it's so random because i don't wanna move out majority of my villagers yet, but 3 have asked me already since i started playing (i don't tt either) and the first one asked me while i still only have 7 villagers iirc

i had my first villager ask to move out a few days ago (i've been playing since the 19th and i don't TT) so it does seem to take a lot longer than in past games!
I still like to think that it's pretty random, especially when you aren't trying to force them out yourself.
Lucky is my 9th villager and he asked to move out the day after he finished moving in, haha.

Meanwhile, Agnes (one of my two starting villagers) asked to move out yesterday and she'll be in boxes later today. (Guess she really doesn't want to share her birthday with me.)

I still like to think that it's pretty random, especially when you aren't trying to force them out yourself.
Lucky is my 9th villager and he asked to move out the day after he finished moving in, haha.

Meanwhile, Agnes (one of my two starting villagers) asked to move out yesterday and she'll be in boxes later today. (Guess she really doesn't want to share her birthday with me.)
it does feel random! i know a few of my friends have had 2-3 move out so far. i'm actually dying waiting for agnes to move out LOL but after her birthday because i've already bought her a present!

I'm not sure what happen in mine. Bit here's my timeline:
4/10- Velma moved in
4/11- Talked to her until she has squiggly lines
4/12- Ignored her
4/13- Talked to her once
4/14- Talked to her once
4/15 (Today) - Asked to moved

I'm not sure if it's coincidence or not.

a day after moving in? hahaha oh gosh that's crazy, this randomness would have never have happened in new leaf. new leaf mechanics seems like there's a villager assigned to move out every 10 days. then once you stop someone, within a day or two someone new will ask.

it does feel random! i know a few of my friends have had 2-3 move out so far. i'm actually dying waiting for agnes to move out LOL but after her birthday because i've already bought her a present!
I was going to do the same thing actually, but I forgot about it until the deed was done. Haha.
That's one point less for the birthday achievement, oh well.

a day after moving in? hahaha oh gosh that's crazy, this randomness would have never have happened in new leaf. new leaf mechanics seems like there's a villager assigned to move out every 10 days. then once you stop someone, within a day or two someone new will ask.
Ikr? I couldn't believe it either! I would much rather had NL's system so I could keep getting new villagers whenever I felt like getting rid of some old ones at my own pace, but I guess they changed how the whole thing works to make them seem more fickle/realistic.

Ikr? I couldn't believe it either! I would much rather had NL's system so I could keep getting new villagers whenever I felt like getting rid of some old ones at my own pace, but I guess they changed how the whole thing works to make them seem more fickle/realistic.

exactly. even the sleep times per personality are fickle now. i feel like this is a good thing only for non-frequent players, if they don't wanna lose a dreamie or a villager... but for people who cycle villagers, or trying to move someone out (without amiibo) it's such a waiting process

I don’t think it has to do with your relationship with them.

The only villager who has asked to move was Beau, and that was one day after he moved in (when I’d neither had a chance to affect the relationship positively or negatively)

If anything, I can add that he was the only duplicate personality—as in, I already had a lazy villager when he joined.

I've been tracking move outs.

I started playing March 20. No TT.

April 03 - Sherb asked to move out. I said no.
April 09 - Wolfgang asked to move out. I said no.
April 14 - Lucha asked to move out. I said yes.

And my only campsite villager (other than the mandatory one - Lucha, funnily enough, on March 29) was Gwen on April 13.

I've had 2 villagers ask to move. Lolly, after roughly a week after she arrived, and Flora asked yesterday. I want to keep both, so denied the requests. I'd love it if Lopez would ask, since it would save me having to kick him out via amiibo.

I've had Wendy ask to move out literally the day after she fully settled and Phoebe asked me yesterday.

But yea it doesn't seem to happen often which I personally like, but I also don't want anyone to leave. I can see how it's frustrating if you have villagers you don't like.

I've been playing since launch and had 2 ask to move out so far - one moved out just yesterday. The first one I decided to keep.

This is what I noticed in general about move-outs -
  1. They seem less frequent but also you have to keep in mind that the villager moves out the very next day - not 4 days later like in New Leaf. So unless you were TT'ing to get them into boxes, they're not all that less frequent if you think about it.
  2. There seems to be no way to talk them out of it after you allow them to move out unlike in New Leaf so do think about it as I do see potential regrets down the line.
  3. The thought bubble that appears above their head happens when they move out - but not only. Sometimes they want to share a story/emote or whatever else with you and will have the thought bubble. However, they no longer seem to PING when moving out - I think because the ping is kind of associated with something happy that they will announce/tell you.
  4. The villager who moves out will not always bring it up first thing. When Rowan asked to move out 2 days ago, I went about my day as normal, talked to him at first, and it's only later on in the day that he had the thought bubble and asked me to leave. So again, this mechanic seems different.
  5. You don't have to talk to villagers at all. They will still have a thought bubble if they want to move - it might just not be the first thing you see that day.
  6. No villager will move out without checking in with you first - to me this is a huge relief as I was always terrified about losing my favorites in New Leaf.

Last edited:
Currently TTing to move either Chops or Curly out then one thing I noticed is you don’t actually have to interact with them for the thought bubble to appear.

I've only had 1 ask to move out on 4/5 and I've been playing since the 19th no TT.

Hopefully someone asks today...

I've also only had 2 campsite visitors after the forced one, roughly 2 weeks apart. Didn't invite either one (Al and Ed)

It's been random for me. Only had 2 thought bubbles/pings to leave and it was the same villager both times that I did not want to move out.

Pretty random for me too...
I had Raymond asked to leave the day after he moved in from the campsite. Then Leonardo asked to leave two days ago. That's it! I restarted my island so probably started this one around the 25th
There's two villagers I'd like to move out though (I don't TT), so I've been trying completely ignoring one and harassing the second one (what a great, healthy way to play this game hahaha) I'll see if either one of them ask to move before others 🤷‍♀️

I've been playing since launch and I've only have one villager ask to move out; It takes forever and a day it seems.

Back