• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Things to consider when starting a new town

kiwikenobi

GONE FROM TBT
Bells
I'm planning on starting a new New Leaf town soon, since I'm starting to run out of things to do in New Horizons, and I just miss New Leaf and all of the charming, unique things it has to offer. It's been a few years since I played New Leaf, though, and I'm trying to have a good plan going back into it, knowing how much more inflexible it is compared to New Horizons.

What kinds of things does one have to consider when starting a new town? I'm mostly wanting to think of things that can't be changed later, since, obviously, things that can be changed later, I can just change later if I don't like them. I have plans for my town name, and the mayor's name and eye-shape, and their house placement. I know which native fruit I'd like to have, and which side of the map I would prefer to have my beach on.

What else is there that can't be changed once you obtain/choose it that one can plan for ahead of time?

The only other thing that comes to mind (now) that can't be changed is your Mayor's, and additional citizen's, birthday (s) on TPCs. If you don't want a squatter moving in right next to you, be sure to put down patterns to block them. That goes for any other undesirable spots because someone is guaranteed to show up on day 2. As you already know, if all is not right, you can just delete it and start again with no real loss. Rover is patient...

Bridges, even if there is enough space, Isabelle can be really fussy about their emplacement. I had a bridge once that I wanted to change for the Zen one, Isabelle kept saying there was not enough space even if there was another bridge there at the same place before I demolish it. I had to kick a villager out, to get that bridge, their house was not even in front of the bridge, then the next villager built his house exactly at the same place after I changed the bridge.

New Leaf does not have terraforming so your river shape cannot be changed. Neither can the shape of the beach and the ramps to the beach. So if you're particular about having one long beach or a split beach, take that into account early.

None of the buildings can be moved, including your own house once you've decided on the location of your tent, so make sure you're happy with the location of Re-Tail, Town Hall, the Event Plaza, and your house when you place it.

Rocks cannot be moved or broken, except for the one daily breakable rock that contains an ore, so if there are any rocks that you feel are deal-breakers when you're walking around your town the first time, it may be best to restart.

Villagers will move in randomly and place their houses wherever they please starting on the second day, so if you want to block off any areas like near your house, bridges or Town Hall, lay down patterns on Day 1 to prevent villagers from moving into those spots.

The starting bridge can be demolished after you build another bridge, so if you don't like its location you can remove it.

So I recently restarted my towns. For the one town I want to invite all 4 Legend of Zelda inspired villagers. But I also want the items from their RV’s. Question is, would I be able to summon their RV’s even if I have them moved in? Or should I risk my town filling up while I slowly get the items I want.

Pretty late but something else to consider that I have recently learned you can have up to 5 ponds on your map but a minimum is one and unlike NH, you don't have fish spawn in them so they are purely aesthetic.

Back