The Charm of New Leaf

jamie!

they/them
Bells
Switch
1750-0281-9435
Island
Essence
After the launch of New Horizons, I feel like the charm of New Leaf has been more prevalent than ever.

The main thing for me is the fact that with New Leaf you have to imagine half of the things that the well designed towns have laid out: patterns placed on the floor that look like a water stream, like steps, etc.

It's the limitations of the game that gave it its "feel" and with NH the fact that we don't have as many restrictions, towns won't have that same atmosphere.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Last edited:
I wholeheartedly agree with you. I don’t have NH yet so I can’t really compare the two games. I’ve had New Leaf for about 4 years now and it used to be my all time favorite game. For me, I used to really hate those rocks placed around my town or the placement of some buildings like Re-Tail and the town hall. But now I realized that it makes us be more creative with our layout as well as having a natural charm with the town. I’m still hyped for the new game, but I do appreciate NL a bit more now.

Nah, after seeing that waterfall thread I'm sure the creative people can very easily recreate the charm that New Leaf had. Also you don't have to terraform, you can still place designs on the ground if you prefer. This time you can even place things on top of them.

Can't say I'll miss it either. It just reminds me of Wild World and that was 15 years ago. I'm glad we can have more freedom this time and add things in the game for real. I was never a fan of the river/stream patterns that people placed on the ground; I always thought it looked too synthetic.

My New Leaf towns have the charm of turning to safe familiar friends...easy-going and well-known. New Horizons has the feel of a new friend...a bit stressful, getting to know the dynamics, the personality, what is allowed and what's not, the uncertainty of what's ahead.

Two of my NL towns are "retired" dream towns. One I keep close because it has a complete catalog. My other two are works in progress and I have not abandoned them; they are just on hold until NH gets to a certain point (not sure exactly where that is yet ;) ). The charm is definitely still there!

i agree with you - despite new leaf’s ‘limitations’, it’s a charming little game and was my absolute favourite for years. it also has some of my favourite features such as swimming and the dream suite so it has new horizons beat in that department, at least lol

i agree with you - despite new leaf’s ‘limitations’, it’s a charming little game and was my absolute favourite for years. it also has some of my favourite features such as swimming and the dream suite so it has new horizons beat in that department, at least lol

I'm really hoping NH implement the dream suite and swimming, but knowing Nintendo that won't happen

I totally agree with you. The simplicity of Animal Crossing is still prevalent in New Leaf, well still allowing for a good amount of customization. The whole Animal Crossing vibe is great.

I don't have NH and I still play NL. No regrets- there's still plenty to do.

I think both games have their own charm. I personally enjoy the freedom though.

Its weird but even if new leaf doesn't have s much s new horizons it kind of broadens your horizons in a sense where you can create things above any type of imagination. you know the map is like a canvas for trees and paths and flowers which you can evolve into a special creation. whats cool about animal crossing new leaf is that you have to be patient in order to create the best town and also how towns have an originality to them which is hard to make when you have tons of players

NL is more wholesome to me. I feel so. Like, as though I'm in there, in this my little world (if that makes sense). While NH is fun, it feels like just a very interesting game.

New Horizon seems like a great game to play. The launching of it brought me back to New leaf. I look at my town the it has charm that I have forgotten. New leaf maybe “ old” compared to NH buy NL is still amazing to play. NL is just cool that way.

Last edited:
When New Leaf came out: 'We need to be able to change our town more!'
Now that New Horizons has those features: 'I prefer being forced to be creative and not just being handed the tools to change the town!'

It more just comes across that you don't like New Horizons. Why not just say that?

When New Leaf came out: 'We need to be able to change our town more!'
Now that New Horizons has those features: 'I prefer being forced to be creative and not just being handed the tools to change the town!'

It more just comes across that you don't like New Horizons. Why not just say that?

I love New Horizons don't get me wrong, it's my favourite game in the series by a fair stretch. In terms of New Leaf, it's probably just the rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia more than anything.

I love New Horizons don't get me wrong, it's my favourite game in the series by a fair stretch. In terms of New Leaf, it's probably just the rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia more than anything.

I appreciate the honesty

NL does indeed have it's charms. I like the music for it MUCH better. New Horizons OST feels somewhat forgettable to me. I have yet to really latch onto any specific track. It all sounds the same to me. I played NL for a long time and I think I could even go back to it if I wanted. But NH is great too!!

I prefer New Leaf, I don't like the idea of having to pay an online subscription to get all the fruits and flowers that I can get easily on my own in NL just by being patient. Also the fact that holidays are locked behind updates will def affect New Horizons replayability in the distant future. And don't get me started on the missing features and NPC's bc yeah you can say they will be added later but who can 100% assure that a feature you enjoyed in New Leaf will def be patched in NH? The only thing that catches my attention is terraforming and placing furniture outside.

Back