• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details!

Quick Questions: ACNH Character Moves Left By Itself - Character Drift

If it's a design flaw, does that mean if I buy controllers not made by Nintendo, this problem won't occur anymore? Any controllers that you can recommend?

No, the problem still persists. See my comment above about my PowerA controller joystick drift.

No, the problem still persists. See my comment above about my PowerA controller joystick drift.

I'm sorry. I just don't really understand...

If it's a design flaw with the original joycon, then shouldn't controllers that are designed differently not have that problem?

If all controllers have that problem regardless of manufacturer, than is it really a controller problem or instead a problem with the system console, or game itself?

This is why I never went for the switch lite and hate that Nintendo has been pushing them so much lately to sell more consoles following the release of New Horizons. With a regular switch you can always buy a 3rd party controller (which is what my boyfriend and I have been forced to use as the OG joycons are basically useless in this game due to drift). No idea what can possibly be done on a lite though? Better to spend the extra money in the long run sadly.

I'm sorry. I just don't really understand...

If it's a design flaw with the original joycon, then shouldn't controllers that are designed differently not have that problem?

If all controllers have that problem regardless of manufacturer, than is it really a controller problem or instead a problem with the system console, or game itself?
it's made by a different company, but to the exact same specs... aka identical to the official nintendo, so can have the exact same issue, it's the design that's causing the problems(since they don't carry the brand name, they are sold for cheaper usually). even the pro controllers style can drift(busted a non-nintendo in the first month), but they are made to take more abuse and it is more uncommon to happen to them.

nintendo isn't officially saying it's a product defect... but they went from charging $40 to repair them, to refunding anyone who had sent in ones for repairs, and making the repairs free now... which does F-All right now since their repair centres are closed due to the virus.
Post automatically merged:

This is why I never went for the switch lite and hate that Nintendo has been pushing them so much lately to sell more consoles following the release of New Horizons. With a regular switch you can always buy a 3rd party controller (which is what my boyfriend and I have been forced to use as the OG joycons are basically useless in this game due to drift). No idea what can possibly be done on a lite though? Better to spend the extra money in the long run sadly.
anyone who owns a lite, has a glorified paperweight, until the repair centres are open again if they get the drifting. it's why i avoided the lite as well.

Use a small amount and be sure to let it dry about an hour. You can also try updating the controllers in your system or using compressed air and leaving the controllers on their sides for a while.
just keep in mind... eventually this won't work anymore as the innards gunk up more and the wear path gets worse.

I know you can get third party joycons but I've never tried them, however the wired controller I use is a PDP Zelda fight pad:

pdp-switch-zelda-breath-of-wild-wired-smash-pad-pro.png

And the wireless one I use when it's in handheld is a Power A wireless GameCube style controller

1507452-01_NSW_GC-WL_Purple_2_ANRV_P_Gallery.jpg

If you can't tell, I really like the GameCube haha

I always slide the broken joycon out of the switch and then reset the controllers to only use the wireless one when I'm playing in handheld, otherwise the joycon will still make the character move

How long have you had them, and have they caused any problems?

I was thinking about buying the pink switch lite. Thanks for the warning...

Is the drift something that is certain to happen to everyone? I've had my switch since december with no issues but I'm a bit concerned now.

Is the drift something that is certain to happen to everyone? I've had my switch since december with no issues but I'm a bit concerned now.

Good question... Was hoping for more replies to see how many other people are affected...

Mine is pretty bad on the left controller as well. I can go inside my house, standing in the doorway and not do anything, and end up in a complete different room, usually the northern room.

It's annoying but not bad enough to make me need to go get a new controller.. yet

My original Joy-Con seem to be fine which I'm grateful for, but my pink left Joy-Con and red right Joy-Con are both drifting now. ; v ; I didn't really care about the right since you don't use the right control stick much but the left is getting on my nerves now. Just gonna wait until the repair centers open back up but even then there's going to be a HUGE wait since they're gonna have so many repairs to go through. 😭

My character does the same thing.. but it doesn't happen in any other game. I switched my joycons from my original switch to the ACNH switch and it still happens a little bit.. and these are brand new so.. maybe a weird input issue?

Good question... Was hoping for more replies to see how many other people are affected...
i had my switch since the original release (march 2017) and my joy cons only started drifting right as AC came out. (i ended up buying new ones because the repair centres are closed.) it seems to really vary.

My character does the same thing.. but it doesn't happen in any other game. I switched my joycons from my original switch to the ACNH switch and it still happens a little bit.. and these are brand new so.. maybe a weird input issue?

Ouch... and those are limited edition too... it's soo expensive now...

I have two pairs of joy cons and my blue left joy con has a HUGE drifting problem (its actually unusable). It goes straight up and is so bad that I can hold B and my character does the full on run. My red left joy con has a little bit of a drifting issue but is much less flagrant. I think this is a pretty decent video that details the problem if you're comfortable with actually opening up your joy cons yourself.

My launch grey joycons have finally started drifting a little, but not as badly as the neon red ones I’d been using since I got those.

How long have you had them, and have they caused any problems?

I've had the wireless one for a year and the wired one about 8 or 9 months, the wireless one had an issue with of the triggers one time where it got stuck down but it popped back out and it didn't happen again, the wired one works fine except for some reason exclusively on the animal crossing keyboard where it will sometimes be too sensitive and move a few characters over now and again. In other games it works perfectly

mine started drifting shortly after animal crossing came out, 300+ hours later and my joycons have gotten really bad to the point my character just starts running in random directions even when i’m not touching it. i can’t even turn off my switch with the joycons anymore ffs, i have to use the touch screen 😔 mine was bought on launch including the extra joycons i have and both pairs of my joycons drift. i like playing handheld but it’s forcing me to play docked with a pro controller since that’s the only one that works now unfortunately.

feels bad.

I started experiencing this recently. On April 29 I was noticing just my character walking left on their own, and then by May 1 the game was unplayable with that controller: it was rapidly cycling through dialogue options and Ables/wardrobe items with no player input. I already knew that the controller was having issues prior to this because I couldn't use it to play games that required more accurate/sensitive joystick movements (such as Cooking Mama), so when I started having problems in ACNH as well I decided it was time to retire* it and ordered a new one.

*Just a note that if you use a controller that is only licensed by Nintendo, rather than produced by them, that joystick calibration is not supported. Or at least my PowerA one wasn't.
It's a temporary solution but remapping the control sticks in the new system settings lets you regain your movement if you don't mind trading camera control.

just keep in mind... eventually this won't work anymore as the innards gunk up more and the wear path gets worse.
Yeah your joy cons become a poltergeist's pretty quickly. I ordered a replacement joystick which was relatively easy to install in about 40 minutes.

This is happening to me too. I’ll try the Q tip. I saw a post off this site that talked about cleaning parts inside of the joycon but there’s no way I’m disassembling anything lol. It isn’t bad enough to where I need a new controller. I just can’t leave my character standing still sometimes lol

I have two pairs of joy cons and my blue left joy con has a HUGE drifting problem (its actually unusable). It goes straight up and is so bad that I can hold B and my character does the full on run. My red left joy con has a little bit of a drifting issue but is much less flagrant. I think this is a pretty decent video that details the problem if you're comfortable with actually opening up your joy cons yourself.

Nope... not even gonna try opening the switch joycons. Lol I feel like I'd do even more harm...

Tried looking for isopropyl alcohol during a pandemic...
Silly me, I thought I would find it...

My character no longer walks towards the left. My character now runs...

Is there another quick fix method that you guys have tried that does not include isopropyl alcohol, or is too complicated?

Back