Pear (Fruit)
ど
う
森
Yellow Candy
Yellow Candy
Red Candy
Red Candy
So Steam's been out for Mac for a while now, and I was wondering if I should get an account and download some games. What would be the top five choices if I were to get it.

FarrenTheRobot said:
Buy The Orange Box.
this. it's basically 5 games for $30 or so, depending on if it's on sale/not. and team fortress 2 is awesome, great value if you play with mods.

also, braid if it's mac-compatible.

garry's mod isn't on mac yet, but it probably will be, soon, and if you get the orange box, it's probably worth it if you like to tinker around with sandbox stuff.

a steam account is free, so it's not like you're losing anything by having one and waiting around for some sales :p

some of them (the sales) are truly kickass. can google up the summer sales event if you want something to look at. though that isn't every day, it is a huge sale.

David said:
I want minecraft/team fortress 2.
I don't think minecraft is available to buy through steam (unless I happen to be wrong).

Anyways for the thread, I'd definitely get the orange box. Here's my summary of the games not trying to be much of a fanboy:
Half-Life 2: Great game with pretty good engine (although the engine is a pretty big processor hog).
Portal: Great FPS Puzzle game that's much more interactive than a regular puzzle.
Team Fortress 2: The best out of this pack imo. Great online, great customization, etc. The only thing I might argue about is the minor part of the community that aren't so bright, but that doesn't really affect a game.
Half-Life 2 Episode 1 + 2: Again, the same thing as HL2.
Half-Life Lost Coast: Good mod.

As Psycho said, I'd definitely consider downloading some custom mods (Garry's mod is probably the best).

NikoKing said:
David said:
I don't think minecraft is available to buy through steam (unless I happen to be wrong).

Anyways for the thread, I'd definitely get the orange box. Here's my summary of the games not trying to be much of a fanboy:
Half-Life 2: Great game with pretty good engine (although the engine is a pretty big processor hog).
Portal: Great FPS Puzzle game that's much more interactive than a regular puzzle.
Team Fortress 2: The best out of this pack imo. Great online, great customization, etc. The only thing I might argue about is the minor part of the community that aren't so bright, but that doesn't really affect a game.

As Psycho said, I'd definitely consider downloading some custom mods (Garry's mod is probably the best).
but you have to buy garry's mod, so it's more a separate game, imo.. eh.
i meant mods for tf2, such as prophunt and zombie fortress.

team fortress 2 can get as srs bzns as you want it to, if you go to competitive sites and stuff. but if you just play wherever/don't care, yeah, the community is usually a bunch of newfags fresh offa b. :p

not to mention the learning curve/beginners block, since the game isn't necessarily user friendly.. but practice mode helps that (lolmacupdate)

note on the orange box: you basically get rights to make your own whatever using the in-game items/abilities/maps, since you get the source sdk stuff with all of the games. which basically means they give you the editing tools for the game's world. tutorials = very yes.

but yeah. orange box is more or less standard issue with steam.
or counter strike.

if your comp (don't know how old your mac is/what's in it) can run it, you could get some of the games that are coming out for 360/ps3/pc if you don't have a ps3 or xbox. don't remember/know if you have one of those.

Psychonaut said:
NikoKing said:
David said:

but you have to buy garry's mod, so it's more a separate game, imo.. eh.
i meant mods for tf2, such as prophunt and zombie fortress.

team fortress 2 can get as srs bzns as you want it to, if you go to competitive sites and stuff. but if you just play wherever/don't care, yeah, the community is usually a bunch of newfags fresh offa b. :p

not to mention the learning curve/beginners block, since the game isn't necessarily user friendly.. but practice mode helps that (lolmacupdate)

note on the orange box: you basically get rights to make your own whatever using the in-game items/abilities/maps, since you get the source sdk stuff with all of the games. which basically means they give you the editing tools for the game's world. tutorials = very yes.

but yeah. orange box is more or less standard issue with steam.
or counter strike.

if your comp (don't know how old your mac is/what's in it) can run it, you could get some of the games that are coming out for 360/ps3/pc if you don't have a ps3 or xbox. don't remember/know if you have one of those.
Yeah, that's what I kind of hate about gmod. Yeah, those TF2 mods are also pretty damn fun.

Back