• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Pokémon Pokémon Versions - What determines which one you get?

What primarily determines which version you pick up?

• Character design (ex: Purple school uniform in Violet)

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Version exclusives / Legendaries

Votes: 49 63.6%
  • The color associate with each version

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Minor changes to the plot line in each version

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I get the version opposite of a friend (ex: Ex: Friend gets Moon, I get Sun)

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • I end up getting both versions eventually, so these things don’t matter.

Votes: 6 7.8%

• Total voters
In order of importance as a deciding factor:

1. Name
2. Color
3. How much I like the cover legendary

I’ve gotten pretty lucky with the version I pick usually having the exclusives I really want (except for Pearl having no Stunky. sad). If there was an exclusive I just *had* to have for my playthrough it might sway me to pick the other version but it hasn’t happened yet.
Post automatically merged:

Also shoutout to Sun and Moon for making clothing colors version exclusive. 😑 RIP all the pink stuff being in Sun…

I've been out of the Pokemon scene for quite some time now, but I traditionally bought both games. For my "main" game, usually I pick whichever game has the version exclusives that I want to use for my personal in-game team. By this point, I've felt kind of meh towards the series, so if I ever buy another game, it'll probably just be based on exclusives.

Normally, I just get whichever version my uncle doesn't get. He got Moon, so I got Sun. He got Sword, so I got Shield. Although we both wound up getting Scarlet, so there's that.

Tbh the cover legendary is the main thing because u see it every time u boot the game

you can trade easily for everything else, except menu ui and outfits (and the time switch in gen 7), but those aren’t a part of my favorite gens anyway. Except oras switching the evil teams, but honestly with oras i would be really happy with either version (i still went sapphire for the record).

It really bothers me how much i prefer black kyurem, but prefer the w2 reversal mountain (it adds a much more unique biome for the region and fits heatran better)

The colors associated with the version. Normally in the past I would choose whatever version that sounded best to me, but now I kinda choose the version that is blue. Sword, Violet, Ultra Moon, etc. etc.

Typically I go by version exclusives, with a higher bias towards the legendaries cuz I can usually trade the other mons pretty easily. SwSh was tough cuz I like Zacian the most, but LOVED eiscue and galarian corsola/cursola.

Version exclusives but I feel like I unintentionally get swayed by what most other people are picking and end up regretting it

Version exclusive pokes, the legendary, sometimes the vibe itself (lol), I was weighed towards Violet because of the outfits even

Mainly whichever one has more version-exclusive Pokémon that I like more, but I'll also take some thematic elements into account when I choose too. White/White 2 were my Gen 5 picks largely because I prefer rustic/forest-y locations to futuristic cities—and while I haven't gotten Scarlet yet, it's the version I plan to get because I much prefer the past theme over Violet's future theme.

Oddly, this usually winds up going against my preferred colors. I love blues, purples, and cool tones, but I almost always wind up choosing the warm/red Pokémon version. I think the only exception to that so far is Pokémon X.

Version exclusives and legendaries play a big part in my decision but I’ve also grown up playing the games with my oldest brother so we try and pick opposite games - generally he leans towards the ‘red’ ones and I prefer the ‘blue’, except sun and moon where we both somehow ended up getting sun

It's pretty much just the legendaries for me. Version exclusives I tend not to even pay attention to until I'm completing the dex, but I feel attached to the legendary in the game I choose and not ones I trade for. I also tend to (not on purpose mind you) choose the less popular version.

With Scarlet and Violet though, this did make a big impact - I felt pretty equal about the legendaries at first, and like a lot of people I liked Violet for Miraidon, but when I saw all the past forms vs. the future forms, I hopped over to Scarlet. Super glad I did since I think Koraidon's characterisation as this legendary dinosaur you have throughout the whole game works a lot better than Miraidon.

Back