• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Pokémon Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet General Discussion

And please for the love of god NO more Fire/Fighting types.
Honestly, I hope GameFreak stops with Fighting starters in general. So far we've gotten 5 Fighting starters (Blaziken, Infernape, Emboar, Chesnaught and Hisuian Decidueye) which is the most of any secondary typing. I am honestly SICK of Fighting at this point and hope they explore other types. Yes, I will be mad if we even get our first Water/Fighting starter and Quaxly becomes Fighting.

Last edited:
Honestly, I hope GameFreak stops with Fighting starters in general. So far we gotten 5 Fighting starters (Blaziken, Infernape, Emboar, Chesnaught and Hisuian Decidueye) which is the most of any secondary typing. I am honestly SICK of Fighting at this point and hope they explore other types. Yes, I will be mad if we even get our first Water/Fighting starter and Quaxly becomes Fighting.
And I really got annoyed when I found at that in Pokemon Legends Arceus that one of the starters (Rowlet's final evolve form) Decideyue is grass/fighting type. I mean my goodness it just got so much weakness in it.

And I really got annoyed when I found at that in Pokemon Legends Arceus that one of the starters (Rowlet's final evolve form) Decideyue is grass/fighting type. I mean my goodness it just got so much weakness in it.
Haha, thanks. That explains why my Decideye keeps getting KO'ed so easily.

I guess we'll see if this turns out to actually be worth buying. It honestly feels a little too soon after both Sword/Shield and Arceus, and this just looks like more of the former.

And those starter designs are er... they sure are something.

I guess we'll see if this turns out to actually be worth buying. It honestly feels a little too soon after both Sword/Shield and Arceus, and this just looks like more of the former.

And those starter designs are er... they sure are something.
Well Sword and Shield has been out since November 2019 which its been nearly 3 years at this point and Pokemon Legends Arceus came out this year, so its like they wanting to get this out of the way sooner. I just hope its not "rushed" and it actually turns out to be a good game, but if not it could be Sword and Shield 2.0 situation.

Well Sword and Shield has been out since November 2019 which its been nearly 3 years at this point and Pokemon Legends Arceus came out this year, so its like they wanting to get this out of the way sooner. I just hope its not "rushed" and it actually turns out to be a good game, but if not it could be Sword and Shield 2.0 situation.
Mainline Mario games tend to only be released once per console generation. If Gamefreak put that kind of delay between entries, I would be ever so slightly more interested.

Mainline Mario games tend to only be released once per console generation. If Gamefreak put that kind of delay between entries, I would be ever so slightly more interested.

I don't know about once per console generation. The DS/3DS lasted for years and there were multiple generations on it. The Switch seems like it will last just as long, if not longer. If they only did one generation per console I feel as though a lot of fans would get bored with the series or would just forget about it altogether.

I definitely think they need to space out the mainline entries more, but once per console generation seems like a bit much, imo.

My Thoughts and opinions (with a bit of expectations) ahead:

I haven't touched Pokémon in a while but I'm still skeptical and worried since it was planned to release on late 2022, I would've prefer that they released it on 2024 and make the game more polished. These games do have potential of being the big Pokémon Switch entry.
(The water starter looks cute in my opinion).

Here's what I think needs to improve in Gen 9/Pokémon Scarlet and Violet:

-The Visuals:

The visuals look like they came from a Gamecube game or a Wii game. Other Switch games look polished in visual sense especially indie developers provide games with better graphics and visuals like Cuphead for example.

SWSH, a Pokémon switch title looks lackluster compared to other Switch titles in the visuals department. They do need a bit more polish and presentable for a 60 dollar price tag on a Switch game. The character models look a bit off and it still needs polishing, in my opinion.

-The Features:
Past Pokémon games have GTS, Pokémon transfer and the like built in-game, and that's in the Gameboy and DS era. I do hope they put it in-game instead of overly relying on overpriced feature like Pokémon Home. Chances are, it's not going to happen anytime soon.

-The Rivals:
I do hope they do something different with the rival character, I'm getting a bit tired of overly-friendly but one dimensional rivals. We need more rivals with either different goals aside from challenging Pokémon league or a rival with interesting characterization like N from Generation 5.

-The Difficulty:
Pokémon needs a difficulty selection since most games have a difficulty selection menu. Returning challenge mode and other difficulty options would greatly improve Pokémon mainline games' replay value.

Oooo I like these starters. I haven't tried to play a Pokemon game in quite a while (I attempted to play Sun/Moon but did not get far at all; before that I think I played a lot of X/Y).
The graphics look much more lively and colorful than in Arceus, but I'm still not very pleased with them. I might give it a go anyway if the starter evolutions aren't weird as heck. I want to love Pokemon again!!

I don't know about once per console generation. The DS/3DS lasted for years and there were multiple generations on it. The Switch seems like it will last just as long, if not longer. If they only did one generation per console I feel as though a lot of fans would get bored with the series or would just forget about it altogether.

I definitely think they need to space out the mainline entries more, but once per console generation seems like a bit much, imo.
I sincerely doubt players are going to simply forget about one of the most lucrative and well-known media franchises in history, particularly when it concurrently has a ratings darling that is the anime, a profitable trading card game, merchandise up the wazoo, and spin-off games aplenty, not to mention cameos in games like Smash Bros. and other projects that I'm probably not even aware of. As a point of comparison, Mickey Mouse--a character whose brand recognition is rivaled only by the likes of Mario and Pikachu--goes for incredibly long droughts of media absence, but his brand is so engraved into our pop cultural ecosystem that the brand is more or less self-sustaining.

As for people growing bored of the games, I'm afraid that ship sailed long ago. Pokémon fatigue has been an increasingly common sentiment and has been arguably since the DS days (if not during gen 3). Market oversaturation is also a real problem that I picture will catch up with Gamefreak eventually.

Any good brand should be able to withstand a period of slowed development. Otherwise, if people really did get bored of or forget about Pokémon because they only had one mainline game during the console gen, then that would in itself be indicative of the series already being in a truly sorry state.

I will admit, I love the starters, even if I did think they were fanart when I first saw them (missed the initial reveal video, saw them on a post by someone else). Quaxly looks a little bit too similar to Ducklett, but still cute.

However, I still feel like it's a bit too early for a next gen what with the pandemic and all, though I suspect the Dexit drama has Gamefreak/TPC desperate to forget that Galar ever happened. Merchandise-wise, there's barely been anything Galar released here in the UK (which feels ironic), it's just constant re-releases of Kanto Pokes and the odd Johto toy here and there. I've been hunting for a Corviknight plush since the day he was announced, but we haven't even received a figure of him, let alone anything else.

Does anyone think we will hear or see anything else from the pokemon company in March?

I'm honestly curious to know more about this new roster of pokes since, to me anyway, it looks like the fire and water starters are a new art style and I just kinda wonder what else there is. Also, I wonder if Fuecoco will be fire ghost later. I bet that would look real neat. I know he could thin out, but I feel like it would be odd for him to become fire fighting. I do wonder if the grass starter will get a fighting type. It does give me the vibe that it could take on a similar appearance as lopbunny.

Does anyone think we will hear or see anything else from the pokemon company in March?

I'm honestly curious to know more about this new roster of pokes since, to me anyway, it looks like the fire and water starters are a new art style and I just kinda wonder what else there is. Also, I wonder if Fuecoco will be fire ghost later. I bet that would look real neat. I know he could thin out, but I feel like it would be odd for him to become fire fighting. I do wonder if the grass starter will get a fighting type. It does give me the vibe that it could take on a similar appearance as lopbunny.
I am leaning very far towards the fire starter because it’s a fire croc Pokémon. I’m glad there’s another crocodile Pokémon, lol. I wouldn’t mind at this point if he’s a fire/fighting type. I wonder if we’ll see more Pokémon from older generations like Totodile, or even some from the first generation.

Last edited:

Maybe. Late 2022 means it will release around October/November but before Christmas. We'll probably mini trailers over the course of the spring and summer. We'll get the region name, the legendaries (but not the typings), a few new mons to promote the games (like Corviknight did with SwSh), and more info about the open world and what to expect.

As for the starters, we may get the second evos or not. Quaxly is a mystery of what its typing might be. I see a lot saying Flying but I dunno. Personally, I think it might end up Dark (pirate) or Steel because of its naval theme. Fuecoco is a toss-up. It might any typing for its final evo (Dragon, Steel, Ground, Ghost, Dark). I've seen many people speculate on what it might end up with. As for Sprigatito, I actually think it might be Fairy. I doubt all of the starters end up mono-type like in SwSh and I also doubt that the secondary typing will go through another type triangle like in X/Y.

I am leaning very far towards the fire starter because it’s a fire croc Pokémon. I’m glad there’s another crocodile style, lol. I wouldn’t mind at this point if he’s a fire/fighting type. I wonder if we’ll see more Pokémon from older generations like Totodile, or even some from the first generation.
I saw on serebii yesterday that they already know some of the older pokemon that will be in the game I guess from looking through the trailer carefully. I get that there are a billion pokemon now, but I can see them choosing some to be in games way more often than others. Goodbye to themed teams 😔.

Maybe Nintendo will one day make a game, and just add to it over time and it ends up being large instead of pushing so many new ones. However I know it is all tied to merch and anime. Hopefully totadile will be in there for ya unchanged 🙂. And I suppose paid DLC is an opportunity for pokemon to be added.

Maybe Nintendo will one day make a game, and just add to it over time and it ends up being large instead of pushing so many new ones. However I know it is all tied to merch and anime. Hopefully totadile will be in there for ya unchanged 🙂. And I suppose paid DLC is an opportunity for pokemon to be added.
Dexit will be a mainstay of the Pokémon games unfortunately. With the number almost approaching 1000 it was reasonable for them to eventually implement dexit. The reason why GF has been pushing regionals to begin with is because of the total Pokémon count. With regionals, they can make new Pokémon without really creating new Pokémon for another number on the National Dex. As for the other Johto starters, since Cyndaquil got special treatment in Legends they could add the other two to S/V. Who knows, maybe there will be regional forms for Feraligatr and Meganium as well. I personally want to use the Froakie line again, being unused for an entire gen really sucks for my favourite Water starter.

I sincerely doubt players are going to simply forget about one of the most lucrative and well-known media franchises in history, particularly when it concurrently has a ratings darling that is the anime, a profitable trading card game, merchandise up the wazoo, and spin-off games aplenty, not to mention cameos in games like Smash Bros. and other projects that I'm probably not even aware of. As a point of comparison, Mickey Mouse--a character whose brand recognition is rivaled only by the likes of Mario and Pikachu--goes for incredibly long droughts of media absence, but his brand is so engraved into our pop cultural ecosystem that the brand is more or less self-sustaining.

As for people growing bored of the games, I'm afraid that ship sailed long ago. Pokémon fatigue has been an increasingly common sentiment and has been arguably since the DS days (if not during gen 3). Market oversaturation is also a real problem that I picture will catch up with Gamefreak eventually.

Any good brand should be able to withstand a period of slowed development. Otherwise, if people really did get bored of or forget about Pokémon because they only had one mainline game during the console gen, then that would in itself be indicative of the series already being in a truly sorry state.

Well then, I guess the series is already in a sorry state, because if they switched to doing one generation per console, I can almost guarantee you people would move completely on from Pokemon and the series would die (people would still play the older games, but they wouldn't make as much money as they used to).

I stand by what I said. It's still a matter of opinion since neither of us can tell what would happen if they did this.

I'm really surprised at how soon this was announced! I think the apple alligator (Fuecoco) is very cute. The idea (reptile apple) kinda overlaps with Applin and Flapple / Appletun but I think that's fine because we already have so many pikaclones. I had the opportunity to visit Spain a while back, and am pretty excited to see what "parts of Spain" will make it into this new game. I can already see the Sagrada Familia influences and hope they really push the Gaudi aesthetics.

Not a huge fan of the trainer designs though. I hope you get a couple more hair designs right out of the door... The schoolkid outfit is nice, but I thought the Pokemon games were about starting a new adventure. School uniforms seem to be at odds with that idea.

Back