Planting Orchards

KingKombat

Bells
Here's my guide on planting fruit tree orchards.

Let's begin with the basics.

<big>FRUIT</big>
These are the orchards. If you want to have an orchard, you'll want at least 3 different types of fruit. Which ones don't matter. But what fruits are out there? Well, there's Pears, Cherries, Apples, and Oranges. There are also Coconuts, but you see, Coconuts usually don't go well into orhcards mainly for the fact that they don't live on regular land, but only on beaches. Let's focus on the 4 fruits.

<big>GETTING FRUIT</big>
Every town has a "native fruit". The native fruit grows everywhere around town -- in fact, it's the only fruit in the town. So, how in the world can we possibly get other fruit? Well, it's through the magic of Nintendo WFC. Unfortunately, you NEED to have an internet connection to get fruit. You also need a friend with an internet connection. You need to share friend codes to be able to go to each other towns. But let's focus on the orchards for now. Hopefully, your friend's town fruit is different than yours. If you fail to meet these conditions, then you can try mailing a villager in your town. Sometimes if you send them a gift, they'll send you a foreign fruit back. But that means only one fruit and you might need to keep trying, meaning, buying alot of letter from Nook. I suggest you try and hook up your WiFi. If you want at least 3 fruit, you need 2 friends, or 1 friend with 2 types of fruit. You will also probably need permission to take fruit. You will wanna take at the least 3 of each fruit desired. This way you have backup fruit. If one doesn't grow, you at least have another tree growing. Let's continue on to plotting.

<big>PLOTTING TREE SPOTS </big>
You can have your orchard any size you want. But whatever the size, you need space. So you need 2 axes. Axes are fragile and break. 1 axe will work, but 2 axes will ensure you don't need any waiting. Menaing you don't have to wait till Nook has another one in stock while in the progress of building your orchard. Get these axes beforehand. Chop down enough trees so you have a nice square with the size you want. Now for planting the fruit trees.

What would be logical is to space them out with one square in between each tree and two squares with each row.

Here's an example I made:
<div class='spoiler_toggle'>Spoiler: click to toggle</div><div class="spoiler" style="display:none;">
2mgpc2g.png
</div>

This way you can walk in between them and they don't look ********. It's easy to do it, you just need some time. I recommend you dont mix fruit rows. Have each row one same fruit.

<big>FIGURING OUT THE "SQUARES"</big>
Plant your first tree in a corner. Then, dig a hole directly next to it. Whether it's on the left or right. That's the square between two trees. So basically it's tree, hole, tree, hole...and it goes until the end of the space you have. Same goes for the space between rows (up and down.) As said before, it'll be nicely spaced out and look almost natural. Plant the fruit in this pattern, and soon you'll have a "baby orchard" which is basically your orchard with all the baby trees.

So, in a few days, hopefully all your trees will grow. You'll have a nice, spaced out, organized orchard. In the event one baby tree fails to grow, then don't fret -- once all the others are done growing, you can just replant them with the fruit next to it.

Hopefully this has helped you in the slightest.

~KingKombat

UPDATE 1/4/09 (Getting Fruit): Villagers send you fruit sometimes! (Thanks OCM for pointing that out!)

UPDATE 4/5/09: This guide has been pointed out as one of the best guides on TBT!

this may be off topic on this, or maybe it has something to do with it...
but i just got the golden shovel yesterday, and i don't personally know what the exact use of it is, what makes it better than the regular shovel... when i got it, it said that few people know the real use of it, or something along those lines.
i'm planting an orchard, and there are places in everyones' town where trees just won't grow. will using a combination of the golden shovel/golden watering can do anything to fix these spots? =*(

The golden shovel's purpose is, that you can plant money trees with it!You bury some money, and if you're lucky it will grow and have thrice the money that you planted :)
Some trees don't grow, you can do anything but they will still not grow....
Why they don't grow? Because the place you planted it is a "special spot"!
That means that weeds spawn there, fossils, gyroids, and maybe the special characters too.
At christmas, Jingle walked right through my orchard :D

Hope this helped...

I tried doing that way but i had to make it like :
X = Tree
O = Space
1 = Dead Tree :'(

XO1OXO1OXO1OX
OOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOO
XO1OXO1OXO1OX

Obhiously it was bigger but i cba writing moar X's & O's :eek:

Thank you so much for this guide!

This has helped me so much!

I've bookmarked this :D

Muh Pit you can have some of mine when I open my orchard, i'm going to have an all you can take fruit party.
:D

KingKombat said:
Here's my guide on planting fruit tree orchards.

Let's begin with the basics.

<big>FRUIT</big>
These are the orchards. If you want to have an orchard, you'll want at least 3 different types of fruit. Which ones don't matter. But what fruits are out there? Well, there's Pears, Cherries, Apples, and Oranges. There are also Coconuts, but you see, Coconuts usually don't go well into orhcards mainly for the fact that they don't live on regular land, but only on beaches. Let's focus on the 4 fruits.

<big>GETTING FRUIT</big>
Every town has a "native fruit". The native fruit grows everywhere around town -- in fact, it's the only fruit in the town. So, how in the world can we possibly get other fruit? Well, it's through the magic of Nintendo WFC. Unfortunately, you NEED to have an internet connection to get fruit. You also need a friend with an internet connection. You need to share friend codes to be able to go to each other towns. But let's focus on the orchards for now. Hopefully, your friend's town fruit is different than yours. And, if you want at least 3 fruit, you need 2 friends, or 1 friend with 2 types of fruit. You will also probably need permission to take fruit. You will wanna take at the least 3 of each fruit desired. This way you have backup fruit. If one doesn't grow, you at least have another tree growing. Let's continue on to plotting.

<big>PLOTTING TREE SPOTS </big>
You can have your orchard any size you want. But whatever the size, you need space. So you need 2 axes. Axes are fragile and break. 1 axe will work, but 2 axes will ensure you don't need any waiting. Menaing you don't have to wait till Nook has another one in stock while in the progress of building your orchard. Get these axes beforehand. Chop down enough trees so you have a nice square with the size you want. Now for planting the fruit trees.

What would be logical is to space them out with one square in between each tree and two squares with each row.

Here's an example I made:
<div class='spoiler_toggle'>Spoiler: click to toggle</div><div class="spoiler" style="display:none;">
2mgpc2g.png
</div>

This way you can walk in between them and they don't look ********. It's easy to do it, you just need some time. I recommend you dont mix fruit rows. Have each row one same fruit.

<big>FIGURING OUT THE "SQUARES"</big>
Plant your first tree in a corner. Then, dig a hole directly next to it. Whether it's on the left or right. That's the square between two trees. So basically it's tree, hole, tree, hole...and it goes until the end of the space you have. Same goes for the space between rows (up and down.) As said before, it'll be nicely spaced out and look almost natural. Plant the fruit in this pattern, and soon you'll have a "baby orchard" which is basically your orchard with all the baby trees.

So, in a few days, hopefully all your trees will grow. You'll have a nice, spaced out, organized orchard. In the event one baby tree fails to grow, then don't fret -- once all the others are done growing, you can just replant them with the fruit next to it.

Hopefully this has helped you in the slightest.

~KingKombat
wow, that's smart. I might cut down my orchard because, instead of planting each tree two spaces apart, I planted them so close that you could barely walk.

I think for planting trees it is better if you have 2 spaces either way, then they're pretty much guaranteed to grow :D

OneOfTheCityFolk said:
I think for planting trees it is better if you have 2 spaces either way, then they're pretty much guaranteed to grow :D
My orchard is crap(not when you look at it) but when you try to:
roll snowballs
walk
yes, simply walk.

I cut down a few trees in my still very small orchard, I'm making each row a certain fruit like the guide suggested.

Very nice and detailed guide. You should include some tips and personal logs in the future to better grab the readers' attention. Overall though, the guide was nice and well written. Way to go on the visuals ^.^

- Mickey

Mickey said:
Very nice and detailed guide. You should include some tips and personal logs in the future to better grab the readers' attention. Overall though, the guide was nice and well written. Way to go on the visuals ^.^

- Mickey
:D

Back