• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!
  • TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

people's attitudes towards popular villagers

Agreed with everyone else that says it's annoying when people hate villagers/anything just because of popularity alone. (It equally annoys me when people like villagers/anything in general because it's popular) Form your own opinions, people. ;_;

I don't like Marshal, but that's because I find him to be so boring-he's just white. Popular or not, I wouldn't care for him.

Likewise, some of the popular villagers I do have, I chose because I thought they were cute or cool looking. Their popularity or "rank" had no affect on who I chose. It just so happens that my tastes in villagers are common with other people's tastes. c:

Maybe they are just genuinely curious and want to know exactly what makes a villager appealing.

that would be me, to be honest. granted, i never made a "why do you all love xy?" topic but i wondered especially about marshal, simply because i had him in my town and he annoyed me to death after a while. then i noticed a pattern - ALL smugs annoy me. i just think they're sleazy :D i guess with marshal, it's his cute appearance in combination with his flirty personality that makes him so popular and i honestly don't mind it - whatever floats people's boats.

i think it's kind of like these "unpopular opinion" posts you see on some blogs and forums - it's basically just an anti circle jerk. "look at my i'm different, **** the mainstream."

i have villagers i like and villagers i don't like. some of them are popular, some of them are not. i like them because they appeal to me in a certain way, whether it's design (marina, savanna, ruby) or character (kabuki, avery) or a combination of both. it really shouldn't have to do anything with popularity.

I've been keeping that sentence inside of me up until now. :p

Yeah, I agree.
It gets pretty annoying seeing the same thread popping up, asking why Marshal is popular. I don't see why it's so hard to understand why so and so is popular. I feel as though quite a few people say Marshal is only popular because other people have been influenced and such. I wouldn't want a villager in my town just because they were popular. I'd rather have an animal I prefer.

I agree. Personally I don't like Rosie (along with many other popular villagers) and would probably void her if she came anywhere near my town (because I'm too lazy to arrange trades unless they benefit me.) But it's not so hard to see the appeal, she is a cat, has cute eyes and blush, etc. Hell, I'd even understand if someone went ahead and told me that they loved Wart Jr. Because surprise, surprise: everyone has different tastes.

I wonder if things would be any different if ACNL had no online community, if you had access to all of the technically information regarding the game (including pictures of all villagers) but no way of communicating with other players.

I don't think that my opinion of villagers would have changed much. Except for maybe I wouldn't love Julian as much as I love him now. To be quite honest I didn't even notice that there was a unicorn in the game before it was pointed out to me by a friend. Before that I had looked over pictures of all villagers but ignored the horse section because I'm terrified of them in real life. I'm glad that the unicorn was pointed out to me in the end though, I love unicorns and Julian's design/personality is great.

- - - Post Merge - - -

that would be me, to be honest. granted, i never made a "why do you all love xy?" topic but i wondered especially about marshal, simply because i had him in my town and he annoyed me to death after a while. then i noticed a pattern - ALL smugs annoy me. i just think they're sleazy :D i guess with marshal, it's his cute appearance in combination with his flirty personality that makes him so popular and i honestly don't mind it - whatever floats people's boats.

i think it's kind of like these "unpopular opinion" posts you see on some blogs and forums - it's basically just an anti circle jerk. "look at my i'm different, **** the mainstream."

i have villagers i like and villagers i don't like. some of them are popular, some of them are not. i like them because they appeal to me in a certain way, whether it's design (marina, savanna, ruby) or character (kabuki, avery) or a combination of both. it really shouldn't have to do anything with popularity.

AHhh, I see ; v ; I guess that some people might think of him as plain. But personally I love him for the same reason I love Ruby: they're both albino and I have an obsession with albino animals. Marshal's style also reminded me of one of my best friends, he is a blonde guy that always looks angry like Marshal, he even wears a denim jacket every now and then

I personally love Marshal, but because of personal reasons. I don't understand the bashing either, you're right in that it's all down to personal preference! I'm not too big of a fan of Cherry, but I'm sure there's somebody out there who loves her and thinks of her as an ultimate dreamie. Either way this fandom has been mostly about acceptance and kindness, so I hope it does stay that way. :)

Cherry is adorable and in my town <3

AHhh, I see ; v ; I guess that some people might think of him as plain. But personally I love him for the same reason I love Ruby: they're both albino and I have an obsession with albino animals. Marshal's style also reminded me of one of my best friends, he is a blonde guy that always looks angry like Marshal, he even wears a denim jacket every now and then

aw, that's really cute <3
a town full of albino villagers sounds really intriguing, actually. who else would you want to move in? just on top of my head, i'd imagine rolf (white tiger), chevre, flurry and diana...

i love ruby because she reminds me of my first pet - a huuuuuuge white rabbit with red eyes. i got him when i was six. he died five years later and my eleven-year-old heart was SHATTERED. so, ruby's kind of a childhood revival. (*glances at her* don't die. don't you dare.)

i guess i'm just kind of indifferent when it comes to this. like, i don't care. it's not my town.

I had Marshal too and just found him very blah. So I wonder why people like him so much. I wish I had known he was so popular before I voided him because it would have been nice to be able to give someone their dreamie, but oh well.

It's the same with celebrities. Just log onto IMDB and check out all the "what's so special about celebrity so-and-so" threads. :p
I find them pointless because the thread is not actually going to answer your question. Yes, some people might agree that said villager is blah, but that's about it. Others will say things like - well, he/she is the cutest creature on the planet. So yeah... pointless much?

Last edited:
Back