• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

People who live at home with their parents, what’s something you want to do if/when you move out?

Hi! I don’t currently live at home with my parents anymore, but I remember what it was like living with my parents like it was yesterday. My parents are super conservative and I’m not, so I always felt as if I could never really be myself when I lived under their roof. They never let me wear the types of clothes I wanted to wear, go out and do a lot of the things I wanted to do, and I also wasn’t out to them either so that was a hard one too.

When I finally left their house, I finally felt so free and like I could do and be who I’ve always wanted to be. Now I wear clothes I actually love to see myself in, I hang out with friends and do whatever I want when I feel like it, and I’m just all around a lot more happy.

This is how I feel right now. I have been in Catholic school since I was 6 and I can’t wait to go to a secular college. I’m so done with the “community” around me full of fake, gossipy people who flaunt their parents’ or ancestors’ wealth like it’s their own. There are other things I won’t miss, but that’s a big one.
I've been dying to move out for a long time. I'm getting married in a month, but my fiance and I are still waiting to hear back from apartments.

One of the first things I can't wait to do is decorate our living space with things we picked out together. It's always exciting going on little trips together to places like HomeGoods or TJMaxx. We have very similar tastes in furniture and decor. I just have to convince him that there's really no such thing as having too many fake plants. 🤭

Another thing I can't wait for is to cook and bake together. We've done this a few times for our families, but to do it in our own kitchen sounds so much more romantic. I'm also looking forward to having more healthier options in my fridge / pantry as well.

And the best thing of all... freedom and privacy. Even though I am practically an adult, I feel like my parents view me as a child still, despite contributing to bills, chores and groceries.

For instance, when I bought a new phone, I asked my dad to help me with the SIM card. Prior to this, I had set up the password on the new phone because I transferred most of the basic stuff like msgs and pictures already. The fact that I paid for my own cellphone and pay the monthly bill means I am entitled to my own privacy right? Well, my dad noticed there was a password and I asked me why I had one set up. I told him my reasoning above and he told me "But I'm your father. Do you have something to hide?" Excuse me? Lol. It's a good thing he dropped it, but still.

I feel like I've been stuck here for so long. I finally make enough money to split bills 50/50 with my fiance, but the only thing holding us back is apartment availability. Sorry for the long read, I just feel so suffocated sometimes.

Hey, don’t apologize for venting. I can’t wait to be free from my parents. As much as I love them, I want more independence.

I hope that you and your fiancé find a place soon!

Back