Opinion on people begging Nintendo for more custom design slots

I disagree because I like the convenience of having all my designs in one space and wouldn't mind scrolling through a bunch of designs to get to the one I'm looking for.

Ultimately, designs make your island more unique and i'd like the ability to put unique designs down for random things like accentuating items or making "stairs" for an area or having the ability to have multiple paths saved.

We're giving Nintendo money. We have every right to ask for things to put into the game.

We paid for the game because we took a risk with our money and trusted Nintendo that NH would deliver the AC experience we wanted. I don't think we necessarily paid for the "right" to tell Nintendo how to run their game when we already paid the full amount for it. However, they can lose our business on future products, and that's probably their motive for giving us a good experience in NH/listening to us. But I suspect they don't have to listen to their players/agree with them on every single thing to keep them hooked - if Nintendo already owns your wallet, you can't really vote with it.

Anyway, I'm one of those wild people who has never run out of storage on a 16 GB phone. That's how the storage/design slot thing in this game feels to me - it makes me wonder if a lot of people just have a hoarding mentality when it comes to some stuff, or can't be bothered to clean out stuff they don't use? It's one thing if you use every single design slot somewhere on your island and you absolutely cannot complete your dream island without compromising something, or you're running a cataloguing service, but after I hit like 700 or so things it's time to clean out my closet and clothes I probably won't wear again. Just like on a phone, I clean out apps I haven't used in a minute.

But then again I always operate on the assumption nothing will change and I should always learn to work within the limits I have. I'm not the type to demand something change for my own comfort - especially something so insignificant as a first-world recreational luxury good (read: video game).

I realize a lot of people don't think like I do. Maybe that's the difference between the op's opinion and that of others?

i kind of understand your opinion but i personally disagree. it is true that it is somewhat of an upgrade compared to new leaf, but in happy home designer you had 120 design slots. i doubt that it would have been hard to add that to new horizons. it is such a small thing but would satisfy hundreds of players and it just limits them unneccesarily. the fact we can put anything up on our island probably makes that whole thing worse because it would be so cool to personalize your island further with custom designs but you really need to plan on which ones you will use because 40 just arent enough if you have a path thats a bit more complex..

We paid for the game because we took a risk with our money and trusted Nintendo that NH would deliver the AC experience we wanted. I don't think we necessarily paid for the "right" to tell Nintendo how to run their game when we already paid the full amount for it. However, they can lose our business on future products, and that's probably their motive for giving us a good experience in NH/listening to us. But I suspect they don't have to listen to their players/agree with them on every single thing to keep them hooked - if Nintendo already owns your wallet, you can't really vote with it.

Anyway, I'm one of those wild people who has never run out of storage on a 16 GB phone. That's how the storage/design slot thing in this game feels to me - it makes me wonder if a lot of people just have a hoarding mentality when it comes to some stuff, or can't be bothered to clean out stuff they don't use? It's one thing if you use every single design slot somewhere on your island and you absolutely cannot complete your dream island without compromising something, or you're running a cataloguing service, but after I hit like 700 or so things it's time to clean out my closet and clothes I probably won't wear again. Just like on a phone, I clean out apps I haven't used in a minute.

But then again I always operate on the assumption nothing will change and I should always learn to work within the limits I have. I'm not the type to demand something change for my own comfort - especially something so insignificant as a first-world recreational luxury good (read: video game).

I realize a lot of people don't think like I do. Maybe that's the difference between the op's opinion and that of others?
You're right that we can't MAKE them do anything but we can certainly ASK which is what we're doing. Besides, if the demand is there and we're the people giving them money, they should take our comments into consideration.

Another 'be grateful' post? I love this game to death, but stop telling people that they can't criticise the game.

Originally, I thought 50 slots would be enough - it seems like it on face value. However, they're almost gone after I used the slots for a custom pool and a boardwalk design leading up to my pier. They took up around 8 slots each.

The solution to this doesn't necessarily have to be more slots, although doubling it would definitely help, but what a lot of people said and what would help is letting people rotate the custom designs - eliminating the need for quite a few variations you need when making a path or whatever.

But yeah, calling people dumb and ridiculous just makes your point null and void.

If you like to create, the slots go fast. It doesn't help that designs only go one way, so you have to create the same pattern in all directions if you want to make a path... plus corners, etc.

I don't even do much designing, but they were pretty stingy. HHD had it right. I do like that all patterns are shared because if I accidentally kick one away, I can fix it with whatever character is playing.

I always wonder why people complain about people wanting things out of New Horizons? Are people not allowed to want more out of it? People can feel like the game is bare-bones, which it is since it's just the bare game and we've only gotten two updates. People can feel like there's little storage, which there is considering if someone is a hoarder, you won't be able to put everything there. People can feel like there are little custom design slots, which there are. I'm running out of slots myself because I like to beautify everything.

So really, why are people that want more out of this game vilified? It's always like this in so many threads. People can have their personal opinions and can provide feedback, which is how things grow and advance after all. Let people have opinions, please. Providing feedback is not "being ungrateful", which gets thrown around a lot.

I think it should be bought through nook miles, like the inventory space. This way, if you need or want more slots, it's possible. Personally, I completely understand the outcry for more slots. I've used up most of mine.

Tbh, I LOVE scouring the internet for creative designs made by other players! I hope to make a few myself in the future, but I’m always amazed at the detail and creativity that our community possesses.

Now that I’m out of slots, I can’t do that as often, and it’s sucky. Love the Nook Miles idea, @Koi Fishe!

Asking can change things. I've seen it with Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, people asking for certain characters to receive buffs/nerfs/fixes so attacks better connect. The problem is, you probably won't get noticed if you're a nobody. Back in Animal Crossing New Leaf, a lot of people on this site wanted the option of being whatever their race is. You would have to go to Tortimer Island just to tan your character and stay outdoors in the summer sun to get even darker skin. I think Nintendo listened, because in New Horizons, you can change your skin color to whatever you want. You can also change your hairstyle on the spot before you start your adventure. I think Nintendo does listen, but they're also the ones that get to decide.

I do think it's ridiculous when people are constantly asking for this or that to be added, because then it starts coming off as self-entitlement. Nintendo is going to add or take away whatever they want. They created the game. So they'll either offer something the players want, or perhaps wait until the next installment. Nintendo already has their own plans.

also

each human character shares the design space. So that's 50 total not 50 per player. Each player is forced to share those 50 design spaces.
Ah, really? Thanks for info, I didn't know about it :/
Post automatically merged:

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for more custom design slots. The only other game I've played was New Leaf and the number of slots have increased dramatically in New Horizons. They may sound like they're whining but people really like to go all out with their towns. Some custom designs are sometimes just used for one particular object and when someone has a lot of those types of designs, it can fill up the slots quickly. I know unlimited designs is very unlikely lol but in my opinion, I think it would be cool for Nintendo to implement an optional feature where you can order more slots for custom designs!
TLDR because my reply doesn't make sense at all, for some people, custom design slots fill up quickly and i don't think it's unreasonable to ask for more!
I understand.

If it's for technical reasons (keeping the game running smoothly, faster loading times), I get the limitations and don't have a problem with it (same with storage).

If it's just an arbritary number they came up with, it would be nice to get more space. It's pretty easy to fill up 50 slots if you use path borders.

If it's for technical reasons (keeping the game running smoothly, faster loading times), I get the limitations and don't have a problem with it (same with storage).

If it's just an arbritary number they came up with, it would be nice to get more space. It's pretty easy to fill up 50 slots if you use path borders.
I get the technical reasons part, now I wonder how many kilobytes are in a custom design and a pro design.

my island is super vanilla and i used the default paths all over my island but even i only have two design slots left. i've already had to pass on several rug/blanket designs (since you can't place in-game rugs down outside for whatever reason) and veranda/boardwalk designs because they all take up around eight entire slots apiece. i can't do my mini football field justice for the same reason -- i don't have enough room for a pitch layout.

I mean yes new leaf had 10 slots, but that was 10 per character.

Since you can have 10 characters in game I dont see why its unreasonable to ask for 100 slots, since if you actually had a large family and everyone played it would only be 5 slots per person atm.

I always wonder why people complain about people wanting things out of New Horizons? Are people not allowed to want more out of it? People can feel like the game is bare-bones, which it is since it's just the bare game and we've only gotten two updates. People can feel like there's little storage, which there is considering if someone is a hoarder, you won't be able to put everything there. People can feel like there are little custom design slots, which there are. I'm running out of slots myself because I like to beautify everything.

So really, why are people that want more out of this game vilified? It's always like this in so many threads. People can have their personal opinions and can provide feedback, which is how things grow and advance after all. Let people have opinions, please. Providing feedback is not "being ungrateful", which gets thrown around a lot.
I don't think people who want more from the game are "vilified," but I do think that there is a tendency on gaming forums for there to be posters who don't really know how to word their critiques in a way that doesn't put other people down, usually in a passive aggressive way. It's almost as if for every one poster of thoughtful, constructive criticism or feature request there seems to be five bitter, relentlessly negative and, yes, whiny posters who only seem to want to make other players as miserable as they are. I moderated a very large gaming forum for six years and the mod team referred to these posters as "threadcrappers." They routinely derailed conversations to bring topics around to whatever their personal hobbyhorse was and generally contributed nothing of value. When that kind of poster is loud enough or prolific enough, it heightens sensitivity to critical discussion and actually causes folks to drown it out by posting in the opposing direction: toxic positivity, where criticism is scarcely tolerated at all. Interesting, discussion-generating critical posts do still occur here but the situation I described is something I see here every day.

...Also, we're all stuck indoors and failing to take into account how hypersensitive and unhappy we've all become as a result of having fewer outlets for self-expression/tension release. So when the newest installment of a beloved game doesn't somehow meet, to say nothing of exceed, all expectations, the responses can be disproportionate to the stimulus. IMO, anyway.

Back