• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

No more diving?

Botw fixes this by having an invisible barrier saying “You can’t go any farther” I can see this being added in to islands that are too far off with islands near by still being assessable

It would be more than a strange decision to cut in a game focused on Island life imo. All this emphasis on the beaches and exploration, it’s hard to believe they’d remove it.

For now I’m also thinking that it’ll just be a surprise once we get to actually playing (the image of someone jumping into the water or going for a dive would’ve definitely made for good trailer material though...hmm)

Last edited:
It would be more than a strange decision to cut in a game focused on Island life imo. All this emphasis on the beaches and exploration, it’s hard to believe they’d remove it.

For now I’m also thinking that it’ll just be a surprise once we get to actually playing (the image of someone jumping into the water or going for a dive would’ve definitely made for good trailer material though...hmm)

They only did that in NL trailers cause it was the big new thing though. Other than being the mayor obviously. I think they?re deliberately hiding it cause they?ve changed it up. At least that?s what I?m hoping!

I was hoping diving would be back and expanded upon.

Diving and experiencing underwater marine life with semi realistic graphics.

Plus I liked the daily scallop dive to meet Pascal and get pirate items.

We don?t know that it hasn?t been expanded upon. Just cause we haven?t seen it in any footage doesn?t mean it?s not there.

Doesnt seem to make sense to remove it with the game's theme and all! I hope they bring new improvements to it though. I wonder if eating fruits will allow you to swim faster?

I saw someone point out somewhere that the encyclopaedia for New Horizons only shows bugs/fish at the top of the menu whereas the encyclopaedia for New Leaf has three sections - bugs/fish/diving. When I saw this, it kinda dashed my hopes of diving making a return in NH. But who knows - I hope so!

I saw someone point out somewhere that the encyclopaedia for New Horizons only shows bugs/fish at the top of the menu whereas the encyclopaedia for New Leaf has three sections - bugs/fish/diving. When I saw this, it kinda dashed my hopes of diving making a return in NH. But who knows - I hope so!

I've seen this mentioned a few times as well.

Maybe you unlock the diving and then it adds the new tab to the encyclopedia?

I'm really hoping it makes a return! It'd be kinda odd if they didn't considering the theme of this game haha, but either way I'm just excited to start playing :)

We don’t know how critterpedia works, or what apps are unlocked by default... but if I had to guess, it unlocks once you catch a creature, so if you caught a bug, it unlocks that first, or if you caught a fish fist that unlocks 1st and vice versa

Right there with you, John. Hopefully it's just something Nintendo is keeping up their sleeve. I'd like to be able to explore underwater, instead of watching my shadow dive below the surface for something.

And I also agree about Pascal. He's one of my favorite NPCs, simply because he's so chill.

They only did that in NL trailers cause it was the big new thing though.

Oh, I didn?t even know it was featured in the NL trailer. All I meant was that that sort of scene (beach, swimming etc.) would go very well with the theme of this game in particular.

I think the diving feature will be included in New Horizons. Honestly, I see no reason for Nintendo to remove it. By now, it should be a standard feature just like changing your character's skin color and hair type/texture or fishing and catching bugs. Besides you're surrounded by water, so I think it would only be natural that your character should be able to swim or dive in it. ..Or maybe the feature will make some kind of return via a $30 DLC expansion pack. But what do I know? I'm just as stumped.

I could see diving being cut. This game was made from the ground up, and even though it's been 8 years (!!) since the last main game I think that the team didn't spend a lot of time on the game until the last couple of years. If they had to prioritize certain features, I'd rather see diving get cut than new terraforming abilities or other new features never being included.

I do think it was odd that diving creatures (along with paintings) weren't featured in the museum in the direct.

Back