• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

Need help naming your island and islanders? Ask here!

Does the game ever refer to your island as [Name] Island or Island of [Name]? I'm partial to simple, one-word island names, but if the game just refers to your island as the name you chose and nothing else, I might reconsider.

Does the game ever refer to your island as [Name] Island or Island of [Name]? I'm partial to simple, one-word island names, but if the game just refers to your island as the name you chose and nothing else, I might reconsider.

It's just one word! Like let's say you name it "Pear" it would be just "Pear," not "Pear Island" / "Island of Pear" etc. That feature is only available in the Japanese version I believe!

It's just one word! Like let's say you name it "Pear" it would be just "Pear," not "Pear Island" / "Island of Pear" etc. That feature is only available in the Japanese version I believe!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it.

As for actually naming my island, I need some help there, too. I'm kicking around quite a few ideas, so please let me know if any one of them stand out to any of you!

Orchid
Sprout
Moss
Garden
Tricolore
Aero
Reverie
Leeway
or Kite.

(With these ones, I'm also thinking I'd have to add a suffix, like Bay or Cove.)
Mossdon
Mossbud
Mosswick
Sproutden
Sproutway
or Sproutwick.

I'd appreciate any input! I shouldn't have done this so last minute, but we live and learn.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it.

As for actually naming my island, I need some help there, too. I'm kicking around quite a few ideas, so please let me know if any one of them stand out to any of you!

Orchid
Sprout
Moss
Garden
Tricolore
Aero
Reverie
Leeway
or Kite.

(With these ones, I'm also thinking I'd have to add a suffix, like Bay or Cove.)
Mossdon
Mossbud
Mosswick
Sproutden
Sproutway
or Sproutwick.

I'd appreciate any input! I shouldn't have done this so last minute, but we live and learn.

I think that Orchid Bay sounds really beautiful and poetic.

Here's the ideas I had for when naming my island!

Star Grove
Faremeadow
Campanella
Honeyrose
Sproutling
Starset Bay
Twinkle Bay

suffixes I liked:
-chatou
-haven
-grove
-realm

Unfortunately the names that ended in Bay (I really liked Twinkle Bay) are 11 characters so those were out of the question... But I ended up going with Fairmeadow because I loved how soft it sounded and I love flowers and nature. Star Grove was a very close second!

I want to name my island Banana Bay because they’re my favorite fruit.. but there are no freakin bananas in this game. :(

My Switch is on sleep mode on the island naming screen and it’s killing me 😭 idk if I wanna do Naked Love, Hippy Love, Fruitpop, Dreamdrip, Dreamscape, Canvas Cay..

Last edited:
I'm stuck. I'm so indecisive this time around...

Castillo - one of Jupiter's moons, found in my favorite anime, Cowboy Bebop
Catalonia - the region used for inspiration for scenes in Castle in the Sky, my favorite movie
Kohaku - a river, the full name of Haku from Spirited Away, my other favorite movie
Kakariko - from Legend of Zelda! I'm taking inspiration from the town's topography for my island
Jiufen/Jioufen - the mountain village in Taiwan used as reference for the Bathhouse location in Spirited Away
Miyako - An island in Japan where my friends live. My first idea!
Laputa - the "Castle in the Sky" itself. Also, the Japanese name of the movie! owo
Eventide - an island from LoZ: Breath of the Wild. Super elusive and fantastic part of the game
Korok - just cute, koroks are creatures from the Legend of Zelda series
Numahara - the station visible in the water train scene from Spirited Away.
Porthaven - a small seaside village, one of the locations of Howl's house in Howl's Moving Castle

any input? none of them really have a ton precedence over the others. I thought I narrowed it down to three then I came up with a bunch more just now so I need help lol

I want to name my island Banana Bay because they’re my favorite fruit.. but there are no freakin bananas in this game. :(

My Switch is on sleep mode on the island naming screen and it’s killing me �� idk if I wanna do Naked Love, Hippy Love, Fruitpop, Dreamdrip, Dreamscape, Canvas Cay..

I say Fruitpop!

- - - Post Merge - - -

Catalonia - the region used for inspiration for scenes in Castle in the Sky, my favorite movie
Kohaku - a river, the full name of Haku from Spirited Away, my other favorite movie
Kakariko - from Legend of Zelda! I'm taking inspiration from the town's topography for my island
Jiufen/Jioufen - the mountain village in Taiwan used as reference for the Bathhouse location in Spirited Away
Laputa - the "Castle in the Sky" itself. Also, the Japanese name of the movie! owo
Eventide - an island from LoZ: Breath of the Wild. Super elusive and fantastic part of the game
Porthaven - a small seaside village, one of the locations of Howl's house in Howl's Moving Castle

any input? none of them really have a ton precedence over the others. I thought I narrowed it down to three then I came up with a bunch more just now so I need help lol

I personally love Porthaven !!!

Mine is called "Muunspore!" Here's some naming tips.

1. Pick a theme. If you don't have an island theme, the name won't fit it correctly. If you don't have a theme, you could make a name and make the theme according to the name!
2. Pick some words that relate to the theme. Mine was sun-moon-nature. Spores come from plants. I put u's instead of o's for "moon" to merge it with sun.
3. Here's some words for you!

Dust
Silent/Silence
Dusk
Dawn
Droplet/Dewdrop/Dew
Petal/Leaf
Faded/Fade
Lost
Veiled
Forgotten
Unknown
Mist/Misty
Discovery
Kit
Warm
Cosy
Sound
Safe
Tune/Tuned
Celebratory
Spark
Sparkle
Twinkle

Town
Isle
Island
City
Den
Zone
World
Land
Place

I went thru so many ideas! From desserts to crystals to plants lol! I really liked PannaCotta named after the dessert. Then I looked at crystal names and found Tanzanite, my new island name! Citrine was a close second. I agree with others that Lunaria is pretty too!

So I finally kind of settled on a name, but I am not sure of how I'm going to spell it. I will probably go with some kind of historic theme in the end, with a little old town center and a more rural/forest-y outer area and maybe a manor/castle somewhere, so I wanted the name to reflect that, but I also liked the name to be (...) Isle. So I thought or the name Erstwhi(s)le, but how to spell it?

Just Erstwhile, where the name is the clearest but the pun/Isle part less so.

Erstwhisle so the pun is more clear. I'm leaning towards this, but I'm afraid people will read it as Erstwhistle or something.

ErstwhIsle or something like that? This looks really ugly to me, the Isle part is more clear though. I can't add a space because of the character limit. So if I'd do that I'd become something like:

Erst Isle?? That just looks weird, could you even tell it's supposed to refer to the word erstwhile like that?

Please let me know what you think :) Or should I just ditch this altogether and go with my earlier idea of Solitude?

- - - Post Merge - - -

I really like Laputa and Eventide. They both sound beautiful, and if you know the places in their respective film/games, it immediately conjures up an image of those islands in your mind. Porthaven is also a nice choice. I remember the location in the film less clearly, but it gives a vibe of a cute seaside town immediately.

What's your opinion? I named my island "Banna Bays," but I'm wondering if I should shorten it to "Banna" for the sake of concision, and to instead let the island's bays do the talking.

Banna Bays or Banna?

What's your opinion? I named my island "Banna Bays," but I'm wondering if I should shorten it to "Banna" for the sake of concision, and to instead let the island's bays do the talking.

Banna Bays or Banna?

Honestly, I like "Banna" more since "Banna Bays" sounds a lot like the name "Barnaby" to me (but I am not a native English speaker so that might just be me).

I need help with my island name, too. Normally, I tend to name towns, farms and the like in games "Cadenza" since over 20 years, but the island is not really a town (yet). I'm really used to the name and still love it very, very much.
I do, however, consider naming the island "Prahna" (or "Prana", which is also a valid spelling), which was the name for 'paradise' in a very old videogame I played and which somehow stuck with me until today. So I'm torn between these two (well, three with the alternate spelling) names now. Any opinions?

Hey, sorry if this has been answered already. It's Sunday in my game but I don't see the turnip baby? I have Gulliver so maybe that's why she's not showing up.

I ended up choosing "Reverie" as my island name, but now I'm having second thoughts as it's not the original French spelling, that being Rêverie (but Reverie is still the English spelling). Does anybody else think that's an issue, or am I just being too much of a perfectionist? It took me five hours to find the map I have, and it's perfect, so I'd rather not make the same mistake as I did in New Leaf and constantly reset.

i was planning on naming my island Ukoi after my tomodachi life island, but i'm not sure about names for my villager. in all the ac games i've played, i've named my villager something that starts with 'K', and i can't really come up with anymore names that start with K and fit the limit

I don't have the game yet, but I'm looking for a whimsical word that starts with 'T' to name my main villager.

After a reset, I ended up settling on the name Koi Pond for my town. It was a name that came to me out of nowhere and I immediately fell in love with it. I love koi fish, and it has such a peaceful vibe about it that I knew it was the perfect name for my island.

Back