• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Mystery Island 1.2.0. Spawn Rates

Bioness

Mass Hysteria
Bells
Switch
6883-5142-2421
Tasty Cake
New Horizons Token
Winter Mittens
Red Cosmos
Because the other thread about the removed islands was full of misinformation. Here is the spreadsheet for the spawn rates of mystery islands.

Both Nookipedia and the AC Wiki have been updated with this information (I know because I spent half of Sunday adding it).

Yes, both hybrid islands were removed. Yes, it is a horrible thing that Nintendo did this without letting people know. Worse still other islands that were good for making bells or catching rare fish/bugs had their spawn rates nerfed.

It is obvious that Nintendo will keep making hidden changes to this game. So we can either deal with it or get loud on social media (because Nintendo has no feedback website).

Here is the full list of changes, as that document doesn't show a comparison.

Removed
  • Big Fish/Hybrid Island
  • Hybrid Flower Island
Increased:
  • Short River 9.68% from 9%
  • Short River and Pond 9.68% from 9%
  • Spiral River 9.68% from 9%
  • Fidget Spinner 9.68% from 9%
  • Sister Fruit 10% from 9%
  • Curly River 8% from 5%
  • Falls 10% from 5%
Decreased:
  • Mountain 8% from 9%
  • Scorpion/Money Rock 1% from 2%
  • Rugged Tree 1.5% from 2%
  • Big Fish (formally Big Fish 2) 2% from 3%
  • Trash 1% from 5%
  • Finned Fish 0.5% from 1%
  • Gold Rock/Scorpion 0.3% from 1%

Last edited:
Out of all the islands, I felt that the hybrid island was the most exciting to me...I have no idea why they removed it...maybe to push online more? But it sucks cause some of the 'genes' of those flowers (particularly the blue hyacinths) were ideal for making purple hyacinths!

thank you for this!! i'm really sad they got rid of the hybrid islands but i guess all we can do from here is adjust to and accept these new spawn rates :'//

Out of all the islands, I felt that the hybrid island was the most exciting to me...I have no idea why they removed it...maybe to push online more? But it sucks cause some of the 'genes' of those flowers (particularly the blue hyacinths) were ideal for making purple hyacinths!

I think the genes were the exact reason. It made it "too easy" to get rare flower colors. So, yes like most of the changes or settings in this game, it is made for people to feel forced to use their online service.

Ah thats so sad! I feel very lucky I was able to go to one hybrid island but I was definitely looking forward to seeing another :(

Wow so it is true! I dont even know what to say! I am so disappointed and confused. Why add something only to take it out, and so soon too. I had nmt island flowers on my old island before restarting it. I did not keep any of them and now i regret it. I even deleted the pics and vid i took when i found them. Now island hopping wont be as fun to me since i know that they took these out.

I think the genes were the exact reason. It made it "too easy" to get rare flower colors. So, yes like most of the changes or settings in this game, it is made for people to feel forced to use their online service.

I keep thinking that these little changes in the game are because of this reason as well, which is a shame. I was lucky enough to find a hybrid island before they were removed although I only came across it twice so to me it was already rare. There are so many "benefits" from playing online with others that you might not get from playing solo so it really makes it seem like they are locking more and more things behind online play. I just wish everything was available for players, online or not.

Because of the early (and continued?) duping issues amongst other things and because I'm new, I stayed away from online play except for a small group of friends and family.

Besides turnips, Mystery Islands gave me an additional income from catching the big bugs and fish along with the hope of finding hybrids.

I love this game and I can play online just fine, but this is disappointing.

Nintendo: These kids will no longer get tons of hybrid flowers, thus making them play more and consider online sub for the perfect town!

Also Nintendo: Dupe glitch? Eh to busy I'll fix it next month

Very sad they took this out :/ I wish they weren't quiet about it. Patch notes is the least they can do...

i never even got to see one...

what pisses me off most about this is the lack of transparency. not even a passing mention in patch notes. if you're going to remove a feature entirely, you should let your playerbase know...that feels like public relations 101 to me...this is all very scummy. as others have said, i'm not surprised but i'm disappointed.

i never even got to see one...

what pisses me off most about this is the lack of transparency. not even a passing mention in patch notes. if you're going to remove a feature entirely, you should let your playerbase know...that feels like public relations 101 to me...this is all very scummy. as others have said, i'm not surprised but i'm disappointed.

They don't announce these changes because that would make more people angry. Nintendo is well aware the average user won't notice the bug nerfs or the island changes.

If Nintendo doesn't mention it, then they have nothing to explain, because their customers are undeserving of an explanation.

If a small developer pulled this, they would lose massive sales and players. This is why companies like Digital Extremes, Grinding Gear Games, or Paradox explain and are open with every little change, but not Nintendo.

Why would they do this? It’s not like anyone was using it as an exploit. Did they.....not realize that hybrid islands would make it easier to get hybrids when they first programmed them into the game? They literally created a feature and then later removed it for serving its intended purpose.

They don't announce these changes because that would make more people angry. Nintendo is well aware the average user won't notice the bug nerfs or the island changes.

If Nintendo doesn't mention it, then they have nothing to explain, because their customers are undeserving of an explanation.

If a small developer pulled this, they would lose massive sales and players, bit not Nintendo. This is why companies like Digital Extremes, Grinding Gear Games, or Paradox explain and are open with every little change.

this explanation makes a lot of sense (unfortunately). i think i've been spoiled by overwatch's patch notes. every little change is detailed. blizzard is still **** but at least the overwatch team is transparent about changes. i get that it's different with a competitive game where players need to be made aware of even a fraction of a second of difference in reload time, but man does it feel good to at least have the illusion that the developers want to be transparent.

I am really disappointed about this too ... I wondered why I kept getting the same lame islands! I loved the hybrid island!! I was lucky enough to hit it a couple of times and got loads of blue pansies! I also loved making my own tarantula/scorpion island out of the bamboo island but the last time or two it was not really worth it since the spawn rate was so pathetic 😐
I seem to hit the sister fruit island quite often though ( I have cherries and my sister fruit is oranges)

If this was the case I wish they had just changed the islands to only have cosmos or whatever was more common instead of completely removing it?? This increasing pressure to use online subscription is really turning me off ACNH given I played NL entirely offline.. sigh

so yeah it's official now huh? well that sucks, i encountered ONE and wasn't even able to pick up more as i was new to the game & wasn't aware how rare it is (didn't even know that you pick up differently compared to acnl lol)

If this was the case I wish they had just changed the islands to only have cosmos or whatever was more common instead of completely removing it?? This increasing pressure to use online subscription is really turning me off ACNH given I played NL entirely offline.. sigh
What’s even worse about the way they’re pressuring people to use online is that if you wanted to play NL online you could’ve done so for free. Now it costs a NSO subscription and sure, you can argue that it’s cheap compared to an xbox or ps4 online sub, but that still doesn’t mean everyone can pay it (especially right now lol...) or wants to and this sort of thing is exactly what I feared when I first heard years ago that NSO would be a thing.

And I never got the chance to see hybrid island for myself. 🥺

Last time I went island hopping the most rarest I saw were bamboo island and sister fruit island. I was wondering when I'd drop by hybrid island, since I heard wonders about it. I had no idea Nintendo removed it and why the heck they decided upon it.

Back