• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

Midnight Release Party!

I am getting physical b/cos box art is sexier + i can leave da house mayb get a streetpass b/cos i am desperate and lose weight it's a win-win-win

I'll join the midnight party, but I'm getting the physical game (also the 14th here!). 1. It's cheaper 2. It's getting sent on the Wednesday so I'll probably get it on the Thursday as the company has never failed to get games to me the next day 3. If I don't have it by the release date of the 14th, I get ?5 back on their release date guarantee so potentially it's even cheaper still.
I used shopto to preorder and right now, they're comparable with Amazon and do next day delivery if ordering before 5pm for free. As I say, they've never been late yet so I thought it was worth it! Still want it now though hahaha!!!

Though it might seem silly and unreasonable, many people, including myself, just like walking into the store, buying the game, holding it all the way home, then ripping the plastic off in excitement and cracking the case open. Even if they no longer give you the thicker booklets, I think it's the experience that people like the best, and collecting the cases. Like someone said, it's nostalgic. c:

Although knowing me, I might just download it at midnight anyway because I'd be so impatient and giddy. Hmm, I wonder if I have enough money for a digital and physical copy... xD

I'll be getting the physical copy the following day/evening. I can wait a bit longer.
When it comes to digital copies of anything I'm always afraid I'll either accidentally lose the SD card the game is downloaded on or the downloaded game will get accidentally deleted or something. That's why I prefer the physical copies. So I'll know it's where I can find it without worry.

I bought mine from Amazon, it will come on the day which means I won't have to download it at midnight haha

I will be waiting up until midnight on the 9th and downloading. I don't want to wait one second longer than necessary to play :D The only reason I would want the physical copy is that I want *some* cartridge to put into my 3DSXL. I'm worried about leaving that hole with nothing in it to get dusty or something. I'm a weirdo. I'll find something else though.

I want the physical game, just for the principle of the thing. LOL If I'm paying full price for a game, I want it in my hand, not just digitally out there. :p Of course, I'm also in the group that prefers to hold it, and drool over the box, etc. :D

I am wondering: has anyone ever downloaded a game at midnight before?

I wonder because NoA is based in California. So, would those in different time zones have to wait till past midnight to be able to download? Or will it be released exactly at midnight eastern standard time- in which case could those in central and mountain time download before midnight?

I am wondering: has anyone ever downloaded a game at midnight before?

I wonder because NoA is based in California. So, would those in different time zones have to wait till past midnight to be able to download? Or will it be released exactly at midnight eastern standard time- in which case could those in central and mountain time download before midnight?

It's 9PM PST / 12AM EST for North America. Europe will be midnight UK time if I remember correctly.

It's 9PM PST / 12AM EST for North America. Europe will be midnight UK time if I remember correctly.
WAIT SO if we live in the PST time zone... we can order it on June 8th? :D
Then again, I still want to get the physical copy. I'm so torn!

WAIT SO if we live in the PST time zone... we can order it on June 8th? :D
Then again, I still want to get the physical copy. I'm so torn!

Yes, you'll have it at 9PM on the 8th if you download. :)

Apparently it can take a while to download at midnight too. Japan had a problem with it, so I heard.

So midnight release could be more like a 2am or 3am release (when you eventually get it downloaded and can play).

Apparently it can take a while to download at midnight too. Japan had a problem with it, so I heard.

So midnight release could be more like a 2am or 3am release (when you eventually get it downloaded and can play).
depends on how many people are downloading...heard that it takes about 45 mins give or take (could be faster or slower for some) But if tons are trying to download at the same time...I am just hoping I can get in on first wave. :)

Last time I tried to download a game launching midnight EDT was Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. I started the download it at 12:01 AM, and it finished on around 12:45 on my Internet Speed of around 300kbs. That game is sized around 6,480 blocks (810 MBs), and apparently, there weren't that much of people downloading it at same time.

If I download my North American version of ACNL within the same exact time and Internet configuration, then it'll probably take approximately 40 minutes to finish downloading assuming that it's around 5,655 blocks (according to my Japanese version).
I should mention that Animal Crossing isn't as popular here as it is in Japan, so there will be certainly less people attempting to download the same game. Regardless of when you download the game, you're going to have a consistent downloading speed. Most people are opting for physical medias anyway, so you won't have to worry too much. :)

i prefer physical copies. it just doesn't feel the same with digital. i'm the same way with music. i still go out and buy cds and then put them on my ipod. lol
also, i already pre-ordered my game from game stop and chose to have them deliver it (i'm lazy). i've waited three years for this game, i can wait a few days more.

I am going physical, although I may be greedy and go digital as well.... One thing, in the UK, I usually get the physical game before actual release. For example I now have Luigis Manson 2 in my hot hands, and the official release day is Friday.

So for less money, I get to play the game sooner, and have a physical copy. The day that Nintendo price their digital downloads lower than the physical copy AND use an account based system rather than console based is when I go fully digital.

Back