IGN: Kinect only works when you're standing up

Bulerias

Co-Founder of TBT
Retired Staff
Bells
Right now, Kinect only works when you stand. This includes menu navigation. All the cool options to grab a slider and advance through frames of a movie you are watching only work when you are on your feet. Kinect, we've been told, has problems handling your skeletal frame while sitting. The voice commands still work, but every game we've seen and even simple menu navigation have to be done with you out of your seat. That's not exactly how I want to watch my movies. If the focus for Kinect is creating games like Dance Central that naturally would require you to be off your couch, that's great. But I have to say, no one thinks "I am driving a car!" while standing up in their living room.
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/109/1099085p1.html

This + a presumably high price = DOA?

I'm a hardcore XBox 360 gamer, and I don't plan on getting it. The motion capture looks cool, but to me, that isn't what the XBox is for. The XBox is meant to be played with a controller.

SockHeadx4 said:
Jeremy said:
I predict Kinnect will flop and Move will do OK.
They will both suck.
If you're saying the Move sucks, you might as well say the Wii sucks, as the Move is nothing but a higher-tech copy of the Wiimote.

I think in theory the Kinect should do well, but if it's highly priced, it will bomb. Sure people will buy it; however, it will not succeed in the long run.

Mino said:
SockHeadx4 said:
Jeremy said:
They will both suck.
If you're saying the Move sucks, you might as well say the Wii sucks, as the Move is nothing but a higher-tech copy of the Wiimote.
I'm saying Move will suck because it's an unoriginal idea. I mean, it's just a wii remote with a ball on top of it..

SockHeadx4 said:
Mino said:
SockHeadx4 said:
Jeremy said:
They will both suck.
I'm saying Move will suck because it's an unoriginal idea. I mean, it's just a wii remote with a ball on top of it..
Not quite. It is more precise and has some subtle advantages over the Wiimote (think MotionPlus on steroids).

Bulerias said:
SockHeadx4 said:
Mino said:
SockHeadx4 said:
Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
Not quite. It is more precise and has some subtle advantages over the Wiimote (think MotionPlus on steroids).
It is 2 Wiimotes with WiiMotion+ but the other one has button changes.

Mino said:
SockHeadx4 said:
Jeremy said:
They will both suck.
A little less than that. It's a wii remote with different controls and buttons, but with a glowing circle thing on the top. Maybe with better motion sensing though.

Back