• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! We'll announce the winners for our Master Ball raffle and distribute your hard-earned arcade tokens soon.

I don't feel like I'm improving?

That's just your style! Cartoony! I think it looks great! And you have improved because you have a better understanding of shading as portraying in 2016 than 2013. Also the lineart is better. Though if you want to get into other styles that badly, DO NOT give up. Keep doing it. Yes it will look like trash at first but you will get past that. Just look at how ugly this is lol!
zlCfzTPGlZw_qcGRPG.jpg
I was trying to color pixel by pixel since I didn't understand how coloring skin worked haha

And I don't have a good example of an improvement from that but you can tell that this pic looks better than the last
WVW69jUXQdojX-MVDN.jpg

Just keep drawing. Youre bound to have pieces you don't like here and there but it is a learning experience. If you need to, in your free time find out who you wanna draw like. Gather up examples of their art and try drawing in their style. Then find another artist and try drawing in theirs. Then take the time to decide what you wanna inherit from then into your style and how to make it yours. Then bam, start postinf with your new style. But never be afraid to experiment with new things, nobody is perfect. Dont give up, just keep doing it until it looks right to you! Even ask others what they think looks off about the piece. Eventually you will be satisfied in the slightest.

Experiment, don't be afraid of screwing up. We all do, but screwing up is a very important part of improvement. I kind of disagree with Skweekerz, please never let yourself fall into the excuse of "this is my style" if you really want to improve and reach outside of your box. Even if do you intend to keep your style as it is, it's still beneficial to study other ones, even if you don't want to draw in them, because they will help you understand things better, and once you have a grasp on how things work you'll be able to draw in just any style you want. Because if you study some realism for example, you'll get an actual idea how bodies work instead of learning a set of symbols like artists often do when they only practice manga/cartoony styles.

Instead of going into a wall of text here, I'll leave you a link. :) I actually wrote a guide on how to improve faster a while ago, I hope it can help you and anyone else who will read it. I tried to contain as many tips as possible in there.
http://vexnir.deviantart.com/art/Guide-Improving-Faster-597884422

By the way, you did improve. Your newest piece is much more fluid than the old one and shows better understanding of shapes.

Last edited:

((Pardon me if I'm not making any sense, it's 3am over here haha))

I think I'm taking the ground between Skweekerz and vexnir - while it's good to always step outside the box, it's also important to have confidence in your own art style!
Do give the link vexnir posted a read - I think it's pretty useful!! Personally, I'd highlight these headings: Experiment, Challenge yourself, Draw what you enjoy.

Don't be discouraged!!!! This is very important - I like to think of artists as amazing people, because there are countless obstacles when drawing, and artists are the people who are still passionate enough to keep drawing despite being held down continuously like that. If something doesn't work the first time, give it a second go; if it still doesn't work, it means that you've knocked down one way of coloring that you know doesn't work for you. Alternatively, try other methods that you've found, but also go back to the methods you think don't work for you and give them a second chance. I started out drawing thinking that I'm going to do soft shading for the rest of my life, but now I'm best friends with cell-shading 8")

Experimenting is particularly important, I think - I experiment with my art all the time, and I've learnt a lot about my own art too (e.g. my strengths, my weaknesses, my preferences, etc). Try using a different program for drawing, for example. Or a different brush. Maybe try realism for a change. Perhaps limit your palette and do a palette challenge. And most importantly, have fun. This is sososososooo important!!!!

Also, just a recommendation - you might want to try watching speedpaints! I'm a speedpaint junkie and watch tons of them. A lot of times, it's like... watching someone do something, and going "I can do that too!!"
Here's a few channels (that mainly use cell shading) to start you off: [x] [x] [x] [x]

Finally - I agree with vexnir that your art's improved!! I think the colors that you used on your second piece is a lot more interesting than the ones you used before ;D

Sorry for the late reply! I got caught up by a few things. But still, thank you so much for the advice, you guys! It really means a lot to me. ;u;

That's just your style! Cartoony! I think it looks great! And you have improved because you have a better understanding of shading as portraying in 2016 than 2013. Also the lineart is better. Though if you want to get into other styles that badly, DO NOT give up. Keep doing it. Yes it will look like trash at first but you will get past that. Just look at how ugly this is lol!
I was trying to color pixel by pixel since I didn't understand how coloring skin worked haha

And I don't have a good example of an improvement from that but you can tell that this pic looks better than the last

Just keep drawing. Youre bound to have pieces you don't like here and there but it is a learning experience. If you need to, in your free time find out who you wanna draw like. Gather up examples of their art and try drawing in their style. Then find another artist and try drawing in theirs. Then take the time to decide what you wanna inherit from then into your style and how to make it yours. Then bam, start postinf with your new style. But never be afraid to experiment with new things, nobody is perfect. Dont give up, just keep doing it until it looks right to you! Even ask others what they think looks off about the piece. Eventually you will be satisfied in the slightest.

Aww, thank you! ;u; It's usually hard for me to find what I'm doing right and wrong in my art, so it really makes me happy to hear that there is a lot that has been improved since 2013. Also, that's a pretty nice improvement you've made with your art. x)

That's something I've been considering doing, actually. I have many favourite artists who do really crazy things with their art and I want to aspire to be like them, but I usually hold off of it because I don't want to feel like I'm stealing. But maybe I should think less about stealing and see it more as a way of experimenting with new things?

Experiment, don't be afraid of screwing up. We all do, but screwing up is a very important part of improvement. I kind of disagree with Skweekerz, please never let yourself fall into the excuse of "this is my style" if you really want to improve and reach outside of your box. Even if do you intend to keep your style as it is, it's still beneficial to study other ones, even if you don't want to draw in them, because they will help you understand things better, and once you have a grasp on how things work you'll be able to draw in just any style you want. Because if you study some realism for example, you'll get an actual idea how bodies work instead of learning a set of symbols like artists often do when they only practice manga/cartoony styles.

Instead of going into a wall of text here, I'll leave you a link. :) I actually wrote a guide on how to improve faster a while ago, I hope it can help you and anyone else who will read it. I tried to contain as many tips as possible in there.
http://vexnir.deviantart.com/art/Guide-Improving-Faster-597884422

By the way, you did improve. Your newest piece is much more fluid than the old one and shows better understanding of shapes.

I usually tend to go back and forth with trying out new styles. On one hand, I want to learn more about realism as it can be really helpful with the style I hope to aim for. But on the other hand, I've always been more interested in cartoony/manga styles as it gives me more freedom to give personality to my art. I'll make sure to check on studies and guides next time I want to try out something new, though, because it is something that I should really be doing more.

I'll also make sure to check out that guide! It looks very helpful and I'm really keen to read it when I get the time. Thank you for sharing!

((Pardon me if I'm not making any sense, it's 3am over here haha))

I think I'm taking the ground between Skweekerz and vexnir - while it's good to always step outside the box, it's also important to have confidence in your own art style!
Do give the link vexnir posted a read - I think it's pretty useful!! Personally, I'd highlight these headings: Experiment, Challenge yourself, Draw what you enjoy.

Don't be discouraged!!!! This is very important - I like to think of artists as amazing people, because there are countless obstacles when drawing, and artists are the people who are still passionate enough to keep drawing despite being held down continuously like that. If something doesn't work the first time, give it a second go; if it still doesn't work, it means that you've knocked down one way of coloring that you know doesn't work for you. Alternatively, try other methods that you've found, but also go back to the methods you think don't work for you and give them a second chance. I started out drawing thinking that I'm going to do soft shading for the rest of my life, but now I'm best friends with cell-shading 8")

Experimenting is particularly important, I think - I experiment with my art all the time, and I've learnt a lot about my own art too (e.g. my strengths, my weaknesses, my preferences, etc). Try using a different program for drawing, for example. Or a different brush. Maybe try realism for a change. Perhaps limit your palette and do a palette challenge. And most importantly, have fun. This is sososososooo important!!!!

Also, just a recommendation - you might want to try watching speedpaints! I'm a speedpaint junkie and watch tons of them. A lot of times, it's like... watching someone do something, and going "I can do that too!!"
Here's a few channels (that mainly use cell shading) to start you off: [x] [x] [x] [x]

Finally - I agree with vexnir that your art's improved!! I think the colors that you used on your second piece is a lot more interesting than the ones you used before ;D

Now that you mention it, I think that having self-confidence is what I should improve upon the most. I used to feel confident with what I draw, but as time went on, I only felt confident about my art less and less. Part of it had to do with how I was drawing less, but another reason was because I just don't feel confident in not just my art, but also in general. Which is rather silly, because like you said, the best artists are those who don't give up.

I've recently done an Animal Crossing Art Challenge on my Tumblr, but it didn't last for too long since I always got hold up by one thing or another. Still, I had a lot of fun with drawing everything in that challenge. I'll take your suggestion and try out a challenge that experiments with certain art skills, though. The idea of a colour palette challenge sounds very nice. c:

I'll definitely make sure to have fun next time I draw something. Nowadays it's easy for me to just see art as a competition, which that isn't a good thing.

I'll definitely check out those speedpaints! I've been wanting to check them out more, but I couldn't find the time to do so.

I don't think drawing just two pictures is enough to warrant "improvement." Do you have any other drawings between those years in order for us to better gauge the situation? Improvement takes multiple drawings (not just the two that you posted), and everyone goes at their own pace. I agree with what others have said about experimentation. There are lots of digital art tools with unique settings to each of them. Eventually you will find something that works. If you want to try airbrush/advanced shading, think of it as multiple blended layers of cell shading. Just start off small (like trying to use blending to create a three dimensional sphere) and work your way up.

:O when you say you don't feel like your improving and it looks so much better.

Also maybe its cause u did the recent drawing more sketch like on the outlines :D

but it looks wonderful :D

Your art is so amazing! I think you're improving :3

Ahh, thanks!! It means a lot to me. uwu

I don't think drawing just two pictures is enough to warrant "improvement." Do you have any other drawings between those years in order for us to better gauge the situation? Improvement takes multiple drawings (not just the two that you posted), and everyone goes at their own pace. I agree with what others have said about experimentation. There are lots of digital art tools with unique settings to each of them. Eventually you will find something that works. If you want to try airbrush/advanced shading, think of it as multiple blended layers of cell shading. Just start off small (like trying to use blending to create a three dimensional sphere) and work your way up.

Ah, yes! Here's a bunch of images from 2013 and 2016. I hope this is enough of a comparison, especially since I haven't had much time to make art this year.

Alright, I'll try experimenting more. The art program I'm using (FireAlpaca) unfortunately doesn't have many art features to it, but I can probably work out something with what I got. I'll also make sure to check out on different brushes I could use as well.

There's your problem. Don't let fear hold you back.

I'll be sure to keep this in mind. Thank you so much! ;u;

:O when you say you don't feel like your improving and it looks so much better.

Also maybe its cause u did the recent drawing more sketch like on the outlines :D

but it looks wonderful :D

The more I look at it, the more I do agree that I've improved on the line art. It isn't anything amazing, but at least it doesn't clash with everything else, which is what I've done in the 2013 image.

I can't see the 2013 picture

Ah, if that's the case, here's the link to most of my 2013 images. I hope this helps!

I really like your art! Being completely honest, it's my favourite kind of comic style. Those generally plain colours, with just a hint of shading.

I think it's much better than your previous stuff.

You've changed your style, and everyone improves.

nSdIJ6I.jpg
vSq2FL2.png

You can improve, there is almost always going up from here.

I guess that's just your style! I think your pieces are ridiculously cute! If you want to venture into another style, you can try studying them from books, such as human anatomy. Or ask a person how they draw their pictures? I think the above explains it better than me, but I think if you want to venture into a different style, studying would be a good way to start. Don't copy off other people's shading, because it's about making your own style!

Now that you've added more pictures, I can tell that the line work is much smoother than previous drawings (despite the gritty texture which I'm assuming is just the tool you were using). You've also gotten more detailed with your shading. I can't pinpoint why, but it does look better (specially with the cats). You're also not always going to improve after each drawing. Sometimes you'll get worse before you get better, but you will improve if you keep drawing.

I really like your art! Being completely honest, it's my favourite kind of comic style. Those generally plain colours, with just a hint of shading.

I think it's much better than your previous stuff.

Yeah, you've definitely improved!

You've changed your style, and everyone improves.

nSdIJ6I.jpg
vSq2FL2.png

You can improve, there is almost always going up from here.

Thank you so much for the kind words!! ;;

I guess that's just your style! I think your pieces are ridiculously cute! If you want to venture into another style, you can try studying them from books, such as human anatomy. Or ask a person how they draw their pictures? I think the above explains it better than me, but I think if you want to venture into a different style, studying would be a good way to start. Don't copy off other people's shading, because it's about making your own style!

I'll be sure to look into human anatomy books! Especially since I'm hoping to do more studies on art.

Funny you should mention this, because it very much reminds me of a quote that goes along the lines of "good artists copy, great artists steal". That's not to say that I fully agree with this quote, though. I do hope to make a style that I'm happy with!

Now that you've added more pictures, I can tell that the line work is much smoother than previous drawings (despite the gritty texture which I'm assuming is just the tool you were using). You've also gotten more detailed with your shading. I can't pinpoint why, but it does look better (specially with the cats). You're also not always going to improve after each drawing. Sometimes you'll get worse before you get better, but you will improve if you keep drawing.

Thanks so much! The gritty texture is something that I've used for most of my art nowadays, mostly because I am hoping to create a pencil/sketchy art style. I'm not sure if I'm using the right brush for that stuff, though.

I actually never thought of it that way. It's so easy for me to think that I could never improve since my art will sometimes look worse than usual, but I guess that's just part of trial-and-error. I'll make sure to keep this in mind next time I feel like I could use some encouragement. ;o;

The first picture didn't work for me, but like everyone said, try experimenting. If you could improve on many other different type of art styles you can also carry it to the one you have now. Also, don't beat you self down. I believe you are doing really great.

Back