• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!

How to stop villagers from displaying clothing?

Milady

Bells
Tasty Cake
Father's Day Carnation
Pink Hybrid Rose
Father's Day Carnation
Tasty Cake
Orange (Fruit)
Peach (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Cherry (Fruit)
Pear (Fruit)
I don’t want to ruin Fang or Raymond’s houses, but I really want to gift them some clothing. How do I stop them from displaying clothing? I’ve read somewhere that they will wear clothing that fits their preference, and only display clothing that doesn’t fit the preference. Is that true??

Personally I dont think preference matters as much. I give them another piece of clothing if they displayed my first to replace it. Or some 1x1 furniture might work too.

For example:

I gave Diana crown, she displays
I gave her a tiara, she now wears crown and displays tiara
I gave her a rattan chair, now she wears both crown and tiara occasionally and displays the chair

Not sure if this is accurate, just personal experience

reneigh displayed a dress i gave her
hopkins displayed a royal crown i gave him
rosie displayed a young royal top
raymond displayed pixel shades (i regret giving him that)
hm who else
i can't remember who else

I don’t want to ruin Fang or Raymond’s houses, but I really want to gift them some clothing. How do I stop them from displaying clothing? I’ve read somewhere that they will wear clothing that fits their preference, and only display clothing that doesn’t fit the preference. Is that true??

I don't think this is true. My villagers will display clothing that fits their preference.

I think as long as they have an 1x1 open spot in their house for a furniture item/object (and every villager has an open space if they haven't been gifted anything), there is a chance they will display it.

See the furniture replacement guide for more on that: furniture replacement guide

reneigh displayed a dress i gave her
hopkins displayed a royal crown i gave him
rosie displayed a young royal top
raymond displayed pixel shades (i regret giving him that)
hm who else
i can't remember who else
Ommgg! Only Flurry displays a shirt I gave her. Luckily Reneigh and Judy doesn’t display the dresses I gave them

Last edited:
Cherí replaced her upright vacuum with the adorable giant red bow I gifted her :'(

And Savannah seems to prefer displaying the hat I gave her instead of wearing it.

But what's off with her is that I gifted her dresses, which she does wear, but when I inspect her drawers at her house, it says it's empty. When I check Cherí, it shows her gifted clothes, even the ones she is currently wearing? :S am confused

Cherí replaced her upright vacuum with the adorable giant red bow I gifted her :'(

And Savannah seems to prefer displaying the hat I gave her instead of wearing it.

But what's off with her is that I gifted her dresses, which she does wear, but when I inspect her drawers at her house, it says it's empty. When I check Cherí, it shows her gifted clothes, even the ones she is currently wearing? :S am confused

I think there might be a glitch with the drawers - I know at least one of my villagers wardrobes shows another villager's clothes.

I believe the higher friendship you have with the villager the more likely they will wear clothing you gifted them, so maybe try maxing their friendship and see if it helps? :)

What I do is I never give them clothes when I'm in there house I have not tried giving them a hat because I'm afraid they will display it but I always give them clothes outside of there house where they change right into it not sure if they do that inside there house but I haven't had any issues yet with them displaying clothes

Apple displayed a green Blossom Dress I gave her...and was wearing it at the same time, so I guess she really liked it. :LOL: I just gave her a Cypress Plant afterwards and she replaced the dress with it. Could've left it alone since it was right by her dresser anyways, so it didn't really look out of place, but the plant looks way better.

Joey replaced his TV with a pair of sunglasses I gave him.

I really hope we get the ability to select / arrange villagers' furniture at some point!

I think it's just random. I see villagers rotate displaying and wearing the same item on different days.
It's really bad for Whitney cause I've gifted her like 5 dresses then I walked in and saw them all in her tiny house...

Back