• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

How do YOU pronounce Beau?

How do YOU say Beau's name?

• I say "bow", which rhymes with "go"!

Votes: 145 67.8%
  • I say "byew", like in beautiful!

Votes: 61 28.5%
  • Other! (comment)

Votes: 8 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bow. As it should be pronounced.

It's not about speaking the language at all. I am Turkish, I was born and raised in the Netherlands, and I am currently living in the United States. I had a classmate named Beau when I was like 10 years old (in the Netherlands, we speak Dutch, not French), and no one said her name as "Byoo". So I really doubt you can blame it on the French :D it is common sense, and Beau is one of the easier to pronounce names. Unlike Chevre, which would require some kind of knowledge of the French pronunciation of words.

I would understand if you were 10 or younger and from the United States where people usually do not speak more than one language (unless they're immigrants), but I'll assume you're not a little girl anymore.

Oh and also not trying to start drama. Just wanted to reply to that. :lemon:

Not to sound rude but I'm form the the US and I've never heard of either one of those names before.It's not really common sense unless you've taken french classes(which is not mandatory in the US), you've known someone with that name pronounced like "bow" or you just know how to pronounce it from other people that you've heard using it.In my experience it's certainly not as common as a foreign name like Aida or Jesus.Maybe it's a common name where you live but it's not very common in my area.

Last edited:
Not to sound rude but I'm form the the US and I've never heard of either one of those names before.It's not really common sense unless you've taken french classes(which is not mandatory in the US), you've known someone with that name pronounced like "bow" or you just know how to pronounce it from other people that you've heard using it.In my experience it's certainly not as common as a foreign name like Aida or Jesus.Maybe it's a common name were you live but it's not very common in my area.

I agree. I'm from the US as well and I've never even seen nor heard a person named Beau. Also, counting the fact that French is not mandatory like you said, my foreign language classes were only offered in Spanish, which was pretty good considering half the people in my state know spanish.

Obviously, if you know someone by that name you'd know how to say the name "correctly". It just doesn't apply to people like us that don't have that experience.

Bow. As it should be pronounced.

I pronounce Merengue as "Mer- an- gee" (gee as in glee without the L QQ)

It's not about speaking the language at all. I am Turkish, I was born and raised in the Netherlands, and I am currently living in the United States. I had a classmate named Beau when I was like 10 years old (in the Netherlands, we speak Dutch, not French), and no one said her name as "Byoo". So I really doubt you can blame it on the French :D it is common sense, and Beau is one of the easier to pronounce names. Unlike Chevre, which would require some kind of knowledge of the French pronunciation of words.

I would understand if you were 10 or younger and from the United States where people usually do not speak more than one language (unless they're immigrants), but I'll assume you're not a little girl anymore.

Oh and also not trying to start drama. Just wanted to reply to that. :lemon:

I'm still living in the netherlands, and yeah. We say bow in the netherlands, it would be weird to say byoo.

Bow!
I know some people who use it as a term for a boyfriend ^___^

Last edited:
everyone who says it as beau as in beautiful is wrong
its pronounced as bow

smhsh​

Last edited:
I pronounce his name as: Buh-wee
If you're a fan of pokemon I pronounce it like "buizel" but without the "zel" :3

I don't know why I pronounce it like this... it just sounds right to me^^"

I pronounce it the proper way (the French way). I think it's kind of strange that some people know the correct way to pronounce it but still choose to call him Byew -.-
A lot of people probably pronounce Chevre's name incorrectly too. Poor babies who have names that are always being butchered.. ;-;

Speaking of Chevre, how IS his name pronounced? I've heard shev-RAY and JEH-ver.

Bow. I use to say his name like ''Beau'' as in beautiful but I changed my mind about how to pronounce it.

Last edited:
Beau means beautiful in french... It's pronounced "Bo" which is how I pronounce it.
edit: Not bow, there's no w sound at the end.

Last edited:
Bow. Everything else sounds weird. :rolleyes:

- - - Post Merge - - -

Beau means beautiful in french... It's pronounced "Bo" which is how I pronounce it.
edit: Not bow, there's no w sound at the end.

The w in bow is silent.

I'm surprised no one has pointed out how "beau" is also an old fashioned term for "boyfriend" in english. I actually really like the name, but I do wonder what the thought process behind choosing it was, lol.
Yeah, it's an old word. Anyway, I pronounce it "Bow," of course.

Eh not really? As in, Beau has a much shorter "o" sound if that makes any sense.

Yeah, it actually does make sense. I'll go with you on this one. :blush:

I still believe that the correct pronunciation of the name Beau is "Bow" with a W at the end. At least in english speaking countries.

Last edited:
The w in bow is silent.

Second this, for me anyway there's no difference when I say it, Bow/Bo is the same thing ^^

Edit I just realised what it is.
Bow as in .. ribbon bow, is pronounced different from someone taking a "bow" on stage. They mean the ribbon kind here :D

Last edited:
It's pronounced "bo", I'm 100% sure.

Why? Because I have a friend with the french name "Isabeau", and it is pronounced "isa-bo".

Back