• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

How do you choose your villagers?

Main priority is getting all the personalities. Then I make sure they're aesthetically pleasing (to me). Right now my island has two of each species (2 cats, 2 squirrels, 2 frogs, 2 horses, 2 rabbits). Probably gonna change who I have when the update comes out though!

I really just choose what villagers I like the best and find cute

sometimes I feel like I should try and have them all look good together, or match some kind of theme, but when it comes down to it, I just like the villagers I like.

currently I have:

Tabby
Rodney
Bangle
Genji
Plucky
Soleil
Freckles
Deirdre
Fauna
Benedict

I do get attached to my specific version of villagers too. Which is how Fauna ended up back on my island. She showed up as a random move in on my second island and I just had to bring her back. (She even still has her green skull radio 🥰)

I don’t think they will all be on my island forever, I’ve come to think I might always keep rotating villagers around, because I like so many of them. Maybe someday I will have just 10 specific favorites, and end up with all permanent villagers, but cannot tell when or if that will happen.

Inviting villagers is a bit tricky for me. For NH, I usually choose my villagers based on their designs. If I find the designs interesting then I'll invite them if I have a space available. For this game I wanted to experiment and try villagers that I didn't have in NL. I only have one "dreamie", Drago, that is permanent but every other villager on my island can be switched out. In NL, I chose my villagers based on their design inspiration, notably a mythical creature or character. I didn't vary my choices but I loved all the villagers that were in my town. For Post NH 2.0, I'm thinking about doing a themed villager island to spice things up again. Or maybe its because I love Shino and Tiansheng's design inspos, so I'm thinking an Asian/Japanese theme at the moment. An all-Eastern themed island with Eastern inspired villagers is something I've never done and I can invite new Asian inspired villagers as well.

I pick my villagers to meet a personal preference of: at least one of each personality, half male and half female, no repeat of animal species or anything that I feel is too similar to another, and finally as of very recent I have decided to pick villagers with specific house exteriors and color pallettes. I like to have diversity but also I like themes so that complicates things haha.
Post automatically merged:

Edit: They also have to be cute to me personally, I don't pick based on popularity and I don't settle for anything I dislike.

Honestly, purely by the look of them. Personality also plays a big part in it, but that's after getting to know them if I'm not familiar with the particular villager.

Out of the first 3 villagers that I had to build houses for at the beginning of my game back in 2020, I was only interested in keeping one. That being Hornsby. Absolutely fell in love with him. Piper on the other hand, hasn't asked to move while I've been playing and Chevre left a while back.

My rule for a long time was at least of one of each personality and also all different species, as well as a 5 boys/5 girls split. But I've started to ease up on that and I think I will shake things up even more given Happy Home Paradise allows us to 'have' more villagers. So i can have a 'truer' list for my island rather than the balanced one I've been mostly sticking to.

I still have my original Villgaers when I started my game. None have packed and moved. Mainly because I was trying to get all their photo frames but to no success.

I personally like the cute or cool type villagers.
Uh many I find ugly tho kinda a sacrifice if I want to have one of each personality. I’m not even familiar with all the villagers tho.

i go primarily for aesthetics. i don't think about personality types unless i have more than two of the same type, and even then that's super negotiable.

I like to have at least one of each personality, so I plan mostly around that. However, five of my villagers are ones I loved and had for a long time in my first ever AC town in Wild World. They're Hopper, Mint, Puddles, Pudge, and Tank. The rest are just villagers I love, but the only two I have a super strong attachment to out of the other 5 are Kiki and Apollo. I've always just really loved Kiki in every game. Apollo is my birthday twin and I've loved him for several games too.

The last 3 spots are currently occupied by villagers I love, but would consider switching out. Right now they're Raymond, Megan, and Agnes. With the new amiibo cards coming I feel less strongly about keeping Raymond and Megan permanently. I really like them both, and would like to have their amiibo, but they aren't ones I'd keep around forever if I found a villager I liked better.

I do have amiibo for the first 7 I mentioned, so sometimes I let them go for a while and bring in a new villager I've never had. That way I can experience all kinds of villagers but know that I'll always have them to bring back when I start missing them :)

I used to just go with my ultimate favourites and not worry about themes or anything.

But recently, I have been really into doing different themes for my island and matching the villagers to it as best I can. For my upcoming theme that I will start when the update drops, I'm going to have these babies:

Beau.png
Cally.png
Bunnie.png
Purrl.png
Fauna.png

rude.png
Erik.png
Teddy.png
Ketchup.png
+ Roswell!!

Attachments

• Fauna.png
    Fauna.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 11
At least one of each personality is my only rule. After that I just picked my favorites. I never have done island/town themes.

I try to have 1 of each personality (except smug) But I made a list of all the animals I liked, and if I find them on the nmt islands, I’ll take them. I cannot do themed islands though, as the villagers just annoy me after having them so long. I like changing them up every so often. I love having random villagers at times, it’s always interesting,
These are my current animals:
Post automatically merged:

I try to have 1 of each personality (except smug & lazy) But I made a list of all the animals I liked, and if I find them on the nmt islands, I’ll take them. I cannot do themed islands though, as the villagers just annoy me after having them so long. I like changing them up every so often. I love having random villagers at times, it’s always interesting,
These are my current animals:
haha idk if they downloaded _^_ I have Dom, Genji, Raymond, Chadder, Apollo, Pashmina, Zucker, Cranston, Twiggy, Midge

I love your all canine island!

I choose based on which ones I most like, which means I've had up to 4-5 peppies or normals at a time.

In the beginning I planned on going with a Florida theme, so I had Flora and Boots and the 3 octopuses. I also took personality more into consideration for the reactions, but now since I have them all, I don't. A shame there's not really any uchis I love. Sometimes I'll switch out villagers for holidays or seasons, but lately I've been too lazy to even do that.

My current villagers are Fauna, Diana, Carmen, Ruby, Chrissy, Francine, Marina, Twiggy, Zell, and Zucker.

I always want one of each type (though right now I'm lacking a snooty...😔) and I pick villagers based on either nostalgia or if I think their theme is cool. For example, I have Marcel currently and I like how he's based on Japanese festivals.

I have my town named after R'lyeh from the Cthulhu mythos so I have all the octopi villagers that have been released so far and awaiting word if I can still get Cephalobot through mystery tours. That'd be four only because I dont know if Inkwell is going to be added.

I don't know about the theme of the other six. Maybe myth based? I already have Drago. I could add Ankha, Julian and Tiansheng. I'd still be left with three blanks. I should also have all personality types.

Choices, choices.

I try not to choose my villagers. I like the surprise of getting new ones so usually just let plots auto fill. I’ve found this is one of the best ways to find different and interesting villagers that you wouldn’t normally pick! My favourite villager of all time was found through this method, Willow. She’s the only villager in my town I will never move out. Everyone else is free to go after I have their picture, even if I like them because I may find someone I like just as much or more :D

I have my town named after R'lyeh from the Cthulhu mythos so I have all the octopi villagers that have been released so far and awaiting word if I can still get Cephalobot through mystery tours. That'd be four only because I dont know if Inkwell is going to be added.

I don't know about the theme of the other six. Maybe myth based? I already have Drago. I could add Ankha, Julian and Tiansheng. I'd still be left with three blanks. I should also have all personality types.

Choices, choices.

Your town theme seems cool ! 🤩
If you are going Myth based I would recommend you (in addition of the octopi villagers, Drago, Anhka, Julian and Tiansheng) : Phoebe (based on the Phoenix), Hans (based on the Yeti), Roswell (based off of crop circles, patterns in fields often rumored to be related to aliens), Avery (Aztec design, and Aztec mythology is quite rich), Vesta (based on the greek goddess of fire)...

Or you could choose one or two scientific looking villagers, it will go well with the Octopus/Lovecraft idea, like Petri or Raddle !

Last idea is to take all robotic villagers alongside Cephalobot so Sprocket, Ribbot and Del.

Yeah your theme inspires me 😅😂

Initially I created a list of my Top 50 with a Top 10 included in which I really wanted to secure and keep forever. I wanted to have at least 1 of each personality, but I let species overlap. I wanted to like their design mostly.

My Top 10 were - Henry, Colton, Roscoe, Reneigh, Pecan, Poppy, Sheldon, Beau, Bianca, and Leonardo.

As time went and I ran low on tickets during hunts and never found villagers, my group became some mixture of villagers from that list and others I settled on along the way or liked while hunting.

It was something like - Henry, Colton, Reneigh, Sheldon, Wolfgang, Pierce, Molly, Freya, Peanut, and Filbert (only 4 being the old Top 10)

And at that point it was getting to where I was debating if I had settled and will remain as is with no more hunts But I ended up deciding to try for villagers I had initially really wanted and dropped Molly to being hunting once again. At this point I ended up realizing I want to cycle through more villagers and just kept at this pace. I hunt mostly off of design, but I also want to experience at least one of every species at some point. I've let personality balance fall while I do this, as I don't want to turn down my top pick for a species simply cause I'm lacking a personality and potentially suffer from never seeing them again. Though this has also lead me to very imbalanced gender and personality ratios! But it's fine as I'm still cycling through villagers and it'll balance out down the line.

Current Roster - Henry, Reneigh, Pierce, Sheldon, Groucho, Jacques, Rex, Bud, Sherb, and Gala. (only 3 of old Top 10)

With 8 males and 2 females, I clearly lack some personalities and it does bother me. But I'm having fun taking in who I take in and knowing the hunt will begin again later on and maybe it'll fill out a bit better. Henry, Pierce, and Reneigh are permanent. Groucho, Jacques, and Gala are possibly permanent. Everyone else I'm leaning towards letting them go at some point to continue spicing up my roster with villagers that I really like the design of or villagers that help check off another species I never had before.

I haven't had - Anteater, Penguin, Mouse, Hamster, Rabbit, Bull, Tiger, Elephant, Ostrich, and Octopus

Once I went through all of those and more of the villagers I always kind of wanted, I'll probably end up having a few spots that I'll have to switch out and get old favorites back with for when and if I do settle down to a permanent 10.

Back