• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

[Guide] - TT, Gossip, Rumors, and Moving Villagers

MorningStar

Seven, Seven--
Bells
Switch
2236-5321-7336
Cherry (Fruit)
I really hope putting this up is okay. I find pieces here and there about moving, advice about getting villagers to move, etc, but it's all so scattered I thought it'd be nice to write up a more thorough one. Feel free to give me info to add to it, too.

To keep your villagers safe:

Never time travel more than a day at a time. No matter how much time backwards you travel, it will count as one day. Travelling forward counts for however many days you travelled. Some people say you can time travel more than a day safely, as long as it's not more than five. I've seen firsthand that this is not true. On the 8th, Merengue tried to move. The very next day, the 9th, Apollo tried to move. They can and will move the day after some else tries to. If allowed to move, they will move a minimum of two days after ping (the day after), and a maximum of five days. Talking to them or letting them ping you may convince them to stay. If you want them to leave, I recommend time traveling to the day they say they're going to move. This will put them in boxes. Once a villager is in boxes, there's no convincing them to stay.

Getting a villager to leave:

Some people say that you can make a villager move faster by pushing them into pitfalls or hitting them with nets, or just by ignoring them. However, I've never found this affective. A villager will be less likely to ping you if you're not close friends, and either way, you should be talking to all of your villagers every day for gossip. In addition to this, if a villager isn't close to you and they say they're going to leave, and you tell them they can move? They may be more likely to not want to leave until you're closer friends. However, this can be remedied by quitting without saving, starting the game again, and continuing to let them ping you until they finally agree to leave.

Gossip, rumors, and moving villagers:

Each in-game day you boot up your town, talk to each villager at least five times. They'll usually gossip the second time you talk to them, sometimes the first, but sometimes it can take a few tries. A rumor about a villager moving is ALWAYS true. However, if you talk to the villager who is planning on moving but hasn't pinged you yet, it might be them who is planning on moving. Try to talk to at least two people.

If a villager is outside and has pinged you about something other than moving, then gossips the next time you talk to them, they can be trusted that no one is moving.

If a villager is in their house and gossips, they can also be trusted that no one is moving.

Of course, this is assuming they're not gossiping about a villager planning on moving. Again, if they say someone's moving, you need to go get that villager to ping you.

Only villagers who are wandering will be at risk. If a villager gossips from within their house, it's not them who is moving, so you're safe to move on to the next day. Villagers will not gossip in Re-Tail or anywhere on Main Street. They WILL still gossip from another villager's house; I've had Whitney hanging out at another villager's house when she told me Apollo wanted to move.

Getting pings:

This should go without explanation, but just in case, a ping is when a villager sees you and does the surprised emoji, plays a little "ping!" noise, and then approaches you to dance next to you for a few moments. If a villager is moving, they MUST ping you to initiate moving conversation. Simply talking to them will not work. Make sure you talk to them before they wander off again. If it's a villager you like and you miss the ping, it will not automatically prevent them from moving; it will prevent you from being able to say now.

If you've heard that a villager is moving but they won't ping you, save and quit, then log back in. A moving villager will ALWAYS be outside the day that rumor starts circulating. If someone else pings you, save and quit again until the moving villager gets to.

Some people recommend going to Main Street or swimming for 5-10 minutes, but I find saving and quitting and then scouting around the villager's house is the quickest way.

Be careful when using your Megaphone to locate a villager that is planning on moving. If you're far enough away that they'll simply call to you, it's fine. However, if they're near enough to make the alert sound and wave or look around, it will erase their ping.

Gossip that means no one is moving:

I quoted villagers where I could, copying it directly from my DS. If it's not a direct quote, it's not in quotation marks.

Cranky - "Rumors are kinda scary, aren't they? As they get retold from person to person, more things get added and the story gets bigger and bigger!"
Lazy - "Not to be a big old gossip, but I heard that Villager has really ticklish feet! Uh huh huh... I'm totally going to use that to my advantage next time I want something from him/her." and "I messed up and bought an extra Object. But now there's a rumor going around that I have a world-famous Object collection! Rumors really can spiral out of control, don't you think, catchphrase?" (Thank you, Artsydreamer, for the direct quotes)
Jock - "Player, I have a favor to ask of you! The other day I set a world record for Sport. But no one was there to see it! So if you could go ahead and spread the news, that would be great! Thanks, bud! Catchphrase!" and "Ugh... Rumors can be frightening. The other day, I heard a story, and it was full of semi-incorrect info! Apparently, I'm a prince from another planet! That's a tough spot to be put in! I mean, who can live up to that? It sounds like an epic story dreamed up by some little kid, catchphrase!" (Again, thank you, Artsydreamer!)
Smug - Something like Did you hear the rumor? Apparently Villager and I are... Well, apparently we're going to buy a car / long lost cousins / etc. The villager and rumor in question won't always be the same. They'll follow this up with something like, Is it true? I don't know, I have to protect Villager's privacy! or sometimes Not saying any more! Need a couple direct examples.

Normal - "It's hard to tell how much of the gossip you hear is true, isn't it? Before you go repeating a rumor... it's best to look into it yourself."
Snooty - "Have you ever had to deal with rumors? They can be vicious! Something that's a total lie can turn into a huge scandal. It's just not fair!" AND "Did you hear that Villager is (allergic to grape soda)? Ha! I just made that up. See, that's how rumors get started. One person makes something up out of the blue, and it sticks. Apparently the truth doesn't really matter. All that matters is entertainment value. On that note, catchphrase! *laughs*" and "If you ever hear a rumor that sounds completely outrageous, there may be a shred of truth to it. That's how rumors get started... the truth just gets twisted a little bit. Personally, I'm skeptical of anything I don't see with my own eyes." (Thank you for that second one, NicoShaytan)
Peppy - "What's the word in Town, Player? C'mon, I'm dying to hear the latest gossip! Hmm... You're not talking. Oh! You must be keeping a sworn secret! Spill the beans, catchphrase!"
Uchi - "The other day Villager was like, "You used to be into Sport 1, right?" Can you believe that? Sport 1, man... How could anyone not know I'm famous for Sport 2? Catchphrase?"

I've also heard Uchi villagers talk about a villager that's going to be in some sort of tournament, but I'm not sure if that counts as real gossip. Same with when they gossip about a character having wrestled a bear (with "bare" hands, ugh). Anyone have information about this?

If you know other things that might be said, let me know.

If they're talking about the "rumor" that you're a flower fan / Bell-pincher / hometown hero / stump maker / etc, that doesn't count as real gossip. Generally, gossip like "___ and ____ seem like such good friends!" doesn't count either, which can make the Smug villager's gossip a little confusing. And obviously, gossip about Re-Tail doesn't count.

I may add or revise things over time, since I sort of wrote this all in one sitting. However, there is nothing in this guide that I don't know to be true from experience. Much like the snooty or normal villagers, I won't believe, or encourage, anything I don't know to be true from my own experience.

Last edited:
I still think that megaphone bit is the most important part of this entire post. SO SCARY!!

Let's see... I've got two smugs and three lazies right? I THINK I just might be able to get a variety of those quotes XD No uchis though... :/ is Pash your only uchi?

Maybe also include how to make check for new villagers/terrible plot placement with the new character trick?

I still think that megaphone bit is the most important part of this entire post. SO SCARY!!

Let's see... I've got two smugs and three lazies right? I THINK I just might be able to get a variety of those quotes XD No uchis though... :/ is Pash your only uchi?

Maybe also include how to make check for new villagers/terrible plot placement with the new character trick?

No, I have Frita, too. Unfortunately. But since you have Beau, Lucky, and Stitches, I think you'll have me covered on the "lazy" side of things.

And as for the plot-resetting, I felt that it fell more under the category of reset tricks and town maintenance, while this was more meant to cover villagers getting out rather than coming in.

Oh wow, this is a really helpful guide! ^u^ Here's some more quotes:

Jock - "Ugh... Rumors can be frightening. The other day, I heard a story, and it was full of semi-incorrect info! Apparently, I'm a prince from another planet! That's a tough spot to be put in! I mean, who can live up to that? It sounds like an epic story dreamed up by some little kid, Catchphrase!"

Lazy - "Not to be a big old gossip, but I heard that Villager has really ticklish feet! Uh huh huh... I'm totally going to use that to my advantage next time I want something from him/her." AND "I messed up and bought an extra Object. But now there's a rumor going around that I have a world-famous Object collection! Rumors really can spiral out of control, don't you think, Catchphrase?"

Smug - "Oh boy. Rumors are scary, don't you think? Apparently, Villager and I are... Well, if I understand it right, people think we're cousins somehow, Catchphrase. Huh? Are we? Well... I don't know. I've gotta protect Villager's privacy, so I can't tell you anything else about this!" AND Well, rumor has it we're going to buy a car together or something like that, Catchphrase. Huh? Are we actually going to? Well... I don't know. Don't ask me about it. I have no further comment!" AND "Well, let's just say people think bad blood's gone down between us, Catchphrase. But if you expect me to tell you all the details of this little scandal... Oops! No more comments from me!"

A couple of those are from memory, but they should be mostly accurate XD

This is a really helpful guide, I never went around smacking my villagers or putting them in holes.... but... I'm totally guilty of ignoring ones I wasn't interested in and they stayed forever.

Oh wow, this is a really helpful guide! ^u^ Here's some more quotes:

Jock - "Ugh... Rumors can be frightening. The other day, I heard a story, and it was full of semi-incorrect info! Apparently, I'm a prince from another planet! That's a tough spot to be put in! I mean, who can live up to that? It sounds like an epic story dreamed up by some little kid, Catchphrase!"

Lazy - "Not to be a big old gossip, but I heard that Villager has really ticklish feet! Uh huh huh... I'm totally going to use that to my advantage next time I want something from him/her." AND "I messed up and bought an extra Object. But now there's a rumor going around that I have a world-famous Object collection! Rumors really can spiral out of control, don't you think, Catchphrase?"

Smug - "Oh boy. Rumors are scary, don't you think? Apparently, Villager and I are... Well, if I understand it right, people think we're cousins somehow, Catchphrase. Huh? Are we? Well... I don't know. I've gotta protect Villager's privacy, so I can't tell you anything else about this!" AND Well, rumor has it we're going to buy a car together or something like that, Catchphrase. Huh? Are we actually going to? Well... I don't know. Don't ask me about it. I have no further comment!" AND "Well, let's just say people think bad blood's gone down between us, Catchphrase. But if you expect me to tell you all the details of this little scandal... Oops! No more comments from me!"

A couple of those are from memory, but they should be mostly accurate XD

I'm gonna add these into the main post. I totally forgot about the lazy villagers' object collections. Thank you much!

This is a really helpful guide, I never went around smacking my villagers or putting them in holes.... but... I'm totally guilty of ignoring ones I wasn't interested in and they stayed forever.

Jambette was one of my original villagers and I ignored her for AGES, but once I started listening for gossip and talking to her, she moved out in like two weeks. The ignoring trick so doesn't work. xD Glad I'm not the only one who tried it.

I think I'm going to sell my megaphone now... Really helpful guide! The staff should sticky this!

the prevailing view is that, once you deny a villager moving request and then save and quit, you are free to time travel forward as far as you wish and nobody will have moved out in the interim. I have used this method to skip forward several weeks without problem.

also, I'm good with two non-moving rumors, that way i know i'm not just getting one from a villager thinking of moving. otherwise, i'm satisfied if i dont get rumors but instead get the "please stop talking to me i gotta be alone" prompt from three villagers...

I think I'm going to sell my megaphone now... Really helpful guide! The staff should sticky this!

Don't sell your megaphone! It's still useful. Especially for waking up Gulliver!

the prevailing view is that, once you deny a villager moving request and then save and quit, you are free to time travel forward as far as you wish and nobody will have moved out in the interim. I have used this method to skip forward several weeks without problem.

also, I'm good with two non-moving rumors, that way i know i'm not just getting one from a villager thinking of moving. otherwise, i'm satisfied if i dont get rumors but instead get the "please stop talking to me i gotta be alone" prompt from three villagers...

That's a good way to do it, too. Especially since they don't actually get upset if you talk to them too much.

As for time traveling a distance forward, that's up to the player. This guide was more for people trying to get someone out, so once a villager is already moving, it doesn't matter what they do around the day they're in boxes, as long as the villager doesn't decide to stay.

Mallary (Snooty) just said this:

"If you ever hear a rumor that sounds completely outrageous, there may be a shred of truth to it. That's how rumors get started--the truth just gets twisted a little bit. Personally, I'm skeptical of anything I don't see with my own eyes."

and no one else has mentioned any non-mayor rumors... Is she telling me no one is moving, or warning someone might be? I'm not sure... She's finally decided I've talked to her too much today.

I'll update you on if someone else spills to find out what this one means...

Almost positive that the Uchi rumor "I heard Villager wrestled a bear once" counts as a "safe" rumor. Still need thoughts on it.

This guide is really helpful. Thank you for this, I'll be sure to use it often!

Great guide! I think if you want a villager to move, just ignore them even if they ping. I've tried it many times and it works.

I'll be honest; I've never tried ignoring the villagers' pings, because I'd rather know for sure if a villager is moving/planning on moving, and if I dislike the character, I'll always time travel to the date just in case they change their mind.

Back