• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

doggy got a sweet tooth~

Status
Not open for further replies.
they have nests? lol sorry I really don't know anything about rats XD

they make little nests to sleep in out of whatever they can carry. Like they'll steal clothes and towels and tissues and rubbish to use as walls in a tiny den. it's very sweet!

they make little nests to sleep in out of whatever they can carry. Like they'll steal clothes and towels and tissues and rubbish to use as walls in a tiny den. it's very sweet!

ok that is cute! X3
our puppy kind of does the same in a way? he LOVES my sister (and hates me boohoo) and likes to sleep on her clothes, he also likes to sleep beside a plush toy....or a flip flop XD
yeah he likes to chew on flip flops :p

There's also fruits and vegetables that are bad for dogs too. It's not just candy.
My dog will eat soap if it smells like food, so it's not just your dog.

There's also fruits and vegetables that are bad for dogs too. It's not just candy.
My dog will eat soap if it smells like food, so it's not just your dog.

well I know soap that smells like candy so yeah :p

Other then that the risks of health problems are high if your dog eats candy, I want to say that the phrase ''it gives them diabetes'' is false. Your dog or whatever animal or human won't get diabetes from eating candy. Not even if he/she/it eats it 24/7. You can only get Diabetes type 2 from being overweight in such a matter that your pancreas can't handle the amount of food anymore and will stop working. (Humans can also get type 2 because of aging). Your dog won't get diabetes type 1 nor 1.5 nor 3(lol). The risk for dogs of getting Diabetes type 2 because of being overweight are higher though, because simply, is it really that simple? Yes it's really that simple. they will get overweight faster then humans just like your just born child wil get faster overweight than your grandmother.
I just wanted to make my share since I dislike like the uninformed way of writing put into this (which is just because most people don't learn these kind of things in school anymore, nothing personal).
Furthermore I agree with most that is being said in this thread and I don't feel like I should make another addition since I would just repeat someone else.

Last edited:
Other then that the risks of health problems are high if your dog eats candy, I want to say that the phrase ''it gives them diabetes'' is false. Your dog or whatever animal or human won't get diabetes from eating candy. Not even if he/she/it eats it 24/7. You can only get Diabetes type 2 from being overweight in such a matter that your pancreas can't handle the amount of food anymore and will stop working. (Humans can also get type 2 because of aging). Your dog won't get diabetes type 1 nor 1.5 nor 3(lol). The risk for dogs of getting Diabetes type 2 because of being overweight are higher though, because simply, is it really that simple? Yes it's really that simple. they will get overweight faster then humans just like your just born child wil get faster overweight than your grandmother.
I just wanted to make my share since I dislike like the uninformed way of writing put into this (which is just because most people don't learn these kind of things in school anymore, nothing personal).

wow everyone I know told me that dogs and cats get diabetes, this world is full of lies~

Last edited:
wow everyone I know told me that dogs and cats get diabetes, this world is full of lies~

Okay, apparently my explanation wasn't clear enough. I didn't tell you dogs or whatever animals can't get diabetes. They will not simply get it from eating candy directly as said in your first post. Hmm.. maybe I need to trivialize my posts a bit.

Last edited:
Okay, apparently my explanation wasn't clear enough. I didn't tell you dogs or whatever animals can't get diabetes. They will not simply get it from eating candy directly as said in your first post. Hmm.. maybe I need to trivialize my posts a bit.

"simply get it from eating candy directly"
I never said that
listen, not everyone here is a fluent English speaker and us none English speakers tend to go for simple phrases because our vocabulary is quiet limited (I had to google translate "trivialize")
by logic: dog eats candy = diabetes (simple as that)
and well, diabetes was not the reason for my topic, I was simply asking why my dog likes the smell of candy *shrug*

"simply get it from eating candy directly"
I never said that
listen, not everyone here is a fluent English speaker and us none English speakers tend to go for simple phrases because our vocabulary is quiet limited (I had to google translate "trivialize")
by logic: dog eats candy = diabetes (simple as that)
and well, diabetes was not the reason for my topic, I was simply asking why my dog likes the smell of candy *shrug*

I understand what you're saying. English isn't my native language either but I still try to use the most specific vocabulary, in my eyes, to make it clear. What I wanted to point out, and this is not a personal attack towards you, but that a dog or any other animal can get diabetes from even just eating dog food. If they eat so much that they become overweight, that's when diabates might strike.
I understand if I appear to be pedantic, but I'm just such a perfectionist that I often correct people in fear that people might understand something wrong. Though I doubt anyone can give you an answer on why your dog likes the smell of candy XD.

Last edited:
I understand what you're saying. English isn't my native language either but I still try to use the most specific vocabulary, in my eyes, to make it clear. Want I wanted to point out, and this is not a personal attack towards you, but that a dog or any other animal can get diabetes from even just eating dog food. If they eat so much that they become overweight, that's when diabates might strike.
I understand if I appear to be pedantic, but I'm just such a perfectionist that I often correct people in fear that people might understand something wrong. Though I doubt anyone can give you an answer on why your dog likes the smell of candy XD.

everything you're saying is right but in the end dogs do get diabetes from eating candy, which is what was posted in my OP
well, our dog never really eats too much because he's very picky and would only eat when he really has to, he hates dry food

- - - Post Merge - - -

btw, I just learned from sis that dogs don't have the pancreas. I really learned a lot today :p

Last edited:
everything you're saying is right but in the end dogs do get diabetes from eating candy, which is what was posted in my OP
well, our dog never really eats too much because he's very picky and would only eat when he really has to, he hates dry food

Maybe try to switch from dog food? Every dog needs his own food that works for him. I think I changed the type of food I gave my dog over 10 times before I found something that wouldn't come out as a milkshake. You could also try to put something he likes between his food. Think about little pieces of meat or maybe get something like this http://www.amazon.com/Savory-Sauce-Adult-Roasted-Flavor/dp/B008Z9EFH2/ref=zg_bs_6514323011_19. I always use such a sauce when my dog doesn't want to eat because his stomach grumbles.

- - - Post Merge - - -

btw, I just learned from sis that dogs don't have the pancreas. I really learned a lot today :p

Dogs have a pancreas, only the placement is a little bit different then we humans have. Maybe you need to show your sister this http://www.wholedognews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/pancreatiitis.jpg.

Maybe try to switch from dog food? Every dog needs his own food that works for him. I think I changed the type of food I gave my dog over 10 times before I found something that wouldn't come out as a milkshake. You could also try to put something he likes between his food. Think about little pieces of meat or maybe get something like this http://www.amazon.com/Savory-Sauce-Adult-Roasted-Flavor/dp/B008Z9EFH2/ref=zg_bs_6514323011_19. I always use such a sauce when my dog doesn't want to eat because his stomach is grumbles.

he's really just extremely picky. we bought him all kinds of dog food and treats, even if he really liked one kind he would get bored of it quickly. hewould never stick to one thing
the only thing he'd always eat is leftover chicken bones, but my sister said they aren't really good for him

he's really just extremely picky. we bought him all kinds of dog food and treats, even if he really liked one kind he would get bored of it quickly. hewould never stick to one thing
the only thing he'd always eat is leftover chicken bones, but my sister said they aren't really good for him

Some leftover chicken bones can't really hurt if he doesn't get it too frequently. Just like humans, dogs can get kidney failure from eating to much meat, only dogs can take more meat than humans, that's probably why your sister said that.

Be careful with bones, btw! Not all bones should be given to your dog, since when he bites them they can splinter and cause him to choke! Google which bones are safe, like stated here: http://healthypets.mercola.com/site...ll-your-dog-find-out-which-ones-are-safe.aspx

Also it sounds like (sorry if this offends you) you're the ones causing your dog to be a picky eater ;; If you didn't let it eat so much human food in the first place, he would eat his own dog food without getting bored of it. Human food should really be used as a treat, unless you are committed to actually cooking healthy meals for your dog that contains the nutrients that he needs to grow up healthy.

I actually suggest you read a dog-owning guide or something XD, I worry about your dog's safety if you continue on without proper prepation/knowledge!

Some leftover chicken bones can't really hurt if he doesn't get it too frequently. Just like humans, dogs can get kidney failure from eating to much meat, only dogs can take more meat than humans, that's probably why your sister said that.

it causes Intestinal constipation. whenever he eats bones he has hard time pooping
that's why we don't give it to him frequently

I've always heard stories from people about their dog finding their pockets on coats or jackets and getting the gum out of there, so it must be that they like the scent or flavors of the candies or gum, but like everyone said, they love to put most anything in their mouths, regardless of it being bad for them. Agreed on the can with a lid and push pedal though, or putting the bin underneath the sink with a cupboard door if you have one, that way it can be closed and out of sight.

Be careful with bones, btw! Not all bones should be given to your dog, since when he bites them they can splinter and cause him to choke! Google which bones are safe, like stated here: http://healthypets.mercola.com/site...ll-your-dog-find-out-which-ones-are-safe.aspx

Also it sounds like (sorry if this offends you) you're the ones causing your dog to be a picky eater ;; If you didn't let it eat so much human food in the first place, he would eat his own dog food without getting bored of it. Human food should really be used as a treat, unless you are committed to actually cooking healthy meals for your dog that contains the nutrients that he needs to grow up healthy.

I actually suggest you read a dog-owning guide or something XD, I worry about your dog's safety if you continue on without proper prepation/knowledge!

I second this. I just couldn't bring it under the correct words in my previous like 10 posts :S

Seconded Crystal also, it's a pretty bad road to get on when you start feeding your dog human food, like even as treats they become expectant of it and will refuse their dog food for it, and that's never fun, or healthy. Not saying that EVERY DOG that gets fed human food is going to die, I did it with my past dogs, but I saw how unhealthy it was and it promoted begging whenever we had a snack or dinner, and having new puppies now, I'm definitely trying to make sure they don't have any scraps of human food whatsoever and just have a healthy doggy diet full of the nutrients they need.

Also speaking of candies being bad, there's a surprisingly large list of dangerous human foods that dogs should not be around ever, and on that list there's like, avocados, onions, cheese, things that you'd never think of feeding a dog to begin with, but I guess there are people out there that have slipped up. I was surprised at half of that list though, it had never occurred to me in a million years to give a dog milk or avocado. :/

he's been with us for over 8 months now, we had him since he was 2 months old and he was really picky from the start. we never give him human food because we don't know how dangerous it might be for him. we sometimes give him leftover grilled chicken bones but NEVER fried/spicy chicken. the only "human" food I've ever given him was two tiny pieces of red and green apples (the size of a tooth) but it was that only one time and that was a long time ago~
we check on his health regularly and he's healthy!

- - - Post Merge - - -

@Aestivate and @Pharaoh
I appreciate that your advises and care for our puppy but when did I mention that I feed him human food?
if you mean chicken bones, well it's not common that we give him that. he's picky by nature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back