• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Does it Bother you That Houses are Smaller in General Now?

Kaizer

KaizerMusic.com
Bells
In previous games such as Population Growing, you could make the size of your house much bigger on the inside. Villagers homes were bigger too. It kinda disappoints me that homes in general are smaller. I am happy about the extra upgrades for our houses but the space is still kind of small to me. I don't get that much space to decorate how I want to in all honesty compared in Population Growing. And when going into villagers homes, their homes are kinda boring honestly in my opinion, at least compared to Population Growing. They tend to only have a few things. And their houses are so tiny on the inside. I don't get how they could live like that lol. I really wish they gave us the option to make our houses bigger in this update and maybe even other villagers thru the DLC Happy Home Paradise at the very least. Maybe I'm just being nitpicky, but this is just how I feel.

I'm a bit confused by this :O in population growing the houses might have looked a little bigger because the items had smaller models, but it still used the same block system we do today! A potted plant in population growing was 1 square but looked smaller (had more space around it) and now 1 square potted plants look higher res and with less space around them. I'm pretty sure the villagers have always had 6x6 houses? And the player had an 8x8 room main floor, a 6x6 room upstairs and a 8x8 basement that you couldn't change the wallpaper and flooring of!
In New Horizons we have an 8x8 main room, a 10x6 top floor and basement and 3 6x6 side rooms! In New Leaf the house was slightly bigger (with all rooms including side rooms 8x8) but compared to population growing it's a great upgrade!

I'm a bit confused by this :O in population growing the houses might have looked a little bigger because the items had smaller models, but it still used the same block system we do today! A potted plant in population growing was 1 square but looked smaller (had more space around it) and now 1 square potted plants look higher res and with less space around them. I'm pretty sure the villagers have always had 6x6 houses? And the player had an 8x8 room main floor, a 6x6 room upstairs and a 8x8 basement that you couldn't change the wallpaper and flooring of!
In New Horizons we have an 8x8 main room, a 10x6 top floor and basement and 3 6x6 side rooms! In New Leaf the house was slightly bigger (with all rooms including side rooms 8x8) but compared to population growing it's a great upgrade!

Hm... I might be remembering wrong then lol. I definitely remember the villagers homes being bigger tho. Yeah the villagers homes were definitely bigger. I think the thing that bothers me is that are extra rooms don't get upgrades like the previous titles. The 3 rooms on the left, front, and right are still kinda small honestly. That's a bit disappointing for me. But I am grateful for everything else they added tho. There's still major upgrades, that's without question. Just wish they gave us the option to increase those 3 rooms an extra size.
Post automatically merged:

Yeah here's the inside of Blue Bear's house in PG. Definintely bigger, more stuff, more personality.

In New Leaf, your extra rooms could be the size as your main room and we loved it! Now in New Horizons it has gone back to how it used to in Wild World. Instead of all room sizes to be 8x8, now the extra rooms aside from upstairs, basement and main room are 6x6 now.

And the only thing I ask is, why the downgrade? It was fine in New Leaf, if it ain't broke don't fix it...

In New Leaf, your extra rooms could be the size as your main room and we loved it! Now in New Horizons it has gone back to how it used to in Wild World. Instead of all room sizes to be 8x8, now the extra rooms aside from upstairs, basement and main room are 6x6 now.

And the only thing I ask is, why the downgrade? It was fine in New Leaf, if it ain't broke don't fix it...

Exacctlyyy. Perfectly said. It was perfectly fine how it was. Why would they go from something better to worse? It. Doesn't. Make. Sense. /endrant lol

Hm... I might be remembering wrong then lol. I definitely remember the villagers homes being bigger tho. Yeah the villagers homes were definitely bigger. I think the thing that bothers me is that are extra rooms don't get upgrades like the previous titles. The 3 rooms on the left, front, and right are still kinda small honestly. That's a bit disappointing for me. But I am grateful for everything else they added tho. There's still major upgrades, that's without question. Just wish they gave us the option to increase those 3 rooms an extra size.
Post automatically merged:

Yeah here's the inside of Blue Bear's house in PG. Definintely bigger, more stuff, more personality.

This is what I meant about the objects being drawn smaller:
Screenshot-2021-11-19-at-09-56-43.png

The player takes up one square, so you can see that the room was 6x6 then! Just like it is now! It just looks spacious because the items don't fill up the entire square, even though they do fill up the entire square with 'dead space'. The items have better renders now so they look more natural, more detailed and bigger in the same space! And yeah I get that the siderooms are a little small (though personally I think it's a perfect decorating size), but in Population Growing the upstairs room was also this size! 6x6. It's only new leaf that they were bigger, and I guess that's a matter of preference (it is true we can decorate outside now, and the different sizes give a more realistic feel). But it's definitely nothing but an upgrade from the original

This is what I meant about the objects being drawn smaller:
Screenshot-2021-11-19-at-09-56-43.png

The player takes up one square, so you can see that the room was 6x6 then! Just like it is now! It just looks spacious because the items don't fill up the entire square, even though they do fill up the entire square with 'dead space'. The items have better renders now so they look more natural, more detailed and bigger in the same space! And yeah I get that the siderooms are a little small (though personally I think it's a perfect decorating size), but in Population Growing the upstairs room was also this size! 6x6. It's only new leaf that they were bigger, and I guess that's a matter of preference (it is true we can decorate outside now, and the different sizes give a more realistic feel). But it's definitely nothing but an upgrade from the original

Ah. I see. Hm... It's probably just the personality in the villagers homes that I miss then. I don't know. Something just feels absent that existed in PG; there seemed to be more exuberance and spirit. Maybe I'm just being a little too nostalgic lol. But yeah...

Ah. I see. Hm... It's probably just the personality in the villagers homes that I miss then. I don't know. Something just feels absent that existed in PG; there seemed to be more exuberance and spirit. Maybe I'm just being a little too nostalgic lol. But yeah...
Ohhh no yeah the personality really is gone. The game was way more lively and the villagers had such dynamic personalities! I understand

Ohhh no yeah the personality really is gone. The game was way more lively and the villagers had such dynamic personalities! I understand

Yeah that is what it is isn't it lol. This has been bothering me for a while. Thanks for being understanding lol. I'm gonna abandon this thread and make a personality thread in it's place. I'm wondering how many people feel the same way as we do. And if it's enough people, why, then would they not fix it ya know.

As someone who is more into interior designing rather than making some extravagant island, I'm disappointed with the downgrade in room sizes from what we had in New Leaf. It's made worse when considering that you can give villagers two 10x10 rooms in Happy Home Paradise. I've expressed it before in other threads, but my design ideas have been ruined on more than one occasion because of the awkward dimensions of the second floor and basement and the back and side rooms being so much smaller is annoying. While there's a lot to love about New Horizons, this is one of a number of aspects that will forever keep New Horizons below New Leaf for me when it comes to personal enjoyment.

As someone who is more into interior designing rather than making some extravagant island, I'm disappointed with the downgrade in room sizes from what we had in New Leaf. It's made worse when considering that you can give villagers two 10x10 rooms in Happy Home Paradise. I've expressed it before in other threads, but my design ideas have been ruined on more than one occasion because of the awkward dimensions of the second floor and basement and the back and side rooms being so much smaller is annoying. While there's a lot to love about New Horizons, this is one of a number of aspects that will forever keep New Horizons below New Leaf for me when it comes to personal enjoyment.

Everything you just said is literally exactly how I feel about it too lol. Even though rooms were smaller in Population Growing, the basement was huge though and I miss that. I think on one hand, the new dimensions of New Horizon's upper room and basement are unique, I still feel they should have kept the basement huge and instead of REPLACING the upper room with an entirely different layout, simply adding the new dimension as an extra room. That would have been perfect.

I wish that we had control over how large our rooms were after our house was fully paid off. I don't like when every room is huge, but some are too small right now. For example, I'd keep my bathroom at the current size, but I'd love it if I could make the kitchen a bit bigger.

Yeah that is what it is isn't it lol. This has been bothering me for a while. Thanks for being understanding lol. I'm gonna abandon this thread and make a personality thread in it's place. I'm wondering how many people feel the same way as we do. And if it's enough people, why, then would they not fix it ya know.
awww no worries!!! I just find the mechanics of the games super interesting, of course I understand where you're coming from!

I wish that we had control over how large our rooms were after our house was fully paid off. I don't like when every room is huge, but some are too small right now. For example, I'd keep my bathroom at the current size, but I'd love it if I could make the kitchen a bit bigger.

I know exactly what you mean. In Population Growing, there were times where I wanted my living room smaller depending on the playthrough. They kept the concept of fixing the sizes. They should definintely make the sizing optional.

awww no worries!!! I just find the mechanics of the games super interesting, of course I understand where you're coming from!

You make a difference. 🙏

It bothers me more tbh that we are forced to get all rooms downstairs before we can unlock the second floor and the basement. I only use the main room as well as the left room downstairs in my main character's house, so therefore I hide the entrances from the other rooms since I never use them. I can live with the sizes of them, but I will never understand why they couldn't us at least choose which rooms you really want. The only thing I miss from New Leaf and which is for me kinda a downgrade in NH.

I think I might be the only player on the planet who enjoys the small sized rooms. 🤪

Even in NL, I preferred smaller rooms.

In HHP, the vacation homes I give the islanders are mostly the smallest sized ones. I sometimes increase the size when I feel strongly about using larger items that require more space, but I've yet to use the largest room size available. Even for the facilities, I've not had to use the largest sized room. To me, a small space is a good challenge. I like being able to see everything at once.

the room sizes downgrade is really surprising to me! and then you have HHP with the ability to make the biggest rooms in the game so far. so, what gives?

I'm also quite upset at the downgrade :( They could have fixed it by letting us unlock being able to resize the rooms after we've fully upgraded the house and paid everything off. Cuz one thing I didn't like in New Leaf was not being able to make the rooms smaller after being forced to fully upgrade. And the problem in New Horizons is not being able to have bigger rooms. So to fix both, just let us adjust it! I thought HHP would give us the ability but it didn't.. Big sad T_T

They certainly could have given us more options as to how many rooms and the sizes. My first disappointment was having to build the back room first... in New Leaf I never built that back room because I liked the plain wall with no doorway at the back of the main room. Seeing a big black hole first thing when walking into the house bothers me. In another home I enjoyed having a small main room, but still had side rooms. Not possible now.

The size of the extra rooms doesn't bother me, I'd probably keep them small, but I don't like that you can't even paint your house exterior until the house is fully upgraded. Same in HHP now... you can either pick the smaller villager home exteriors, or the mega mansions, but any of the medium homes can't be customized. In NL I had a couple alt characters with small homes next to each other and it was nice to be able to make them distinct without having to fully upgrade. Not to mention each had their own layout.

Also HHD allowed you to decorate 3 rooms with a lot more layout patterns. You could have a main room, a side room, and a basement or attic. Or a basement and attic along with the main room. I guess it's nice HHP allows you almost complete control of the room size at least, but doesn't feel like a house without side rooms, although the partitions help with that. Really sad doors didn't make it into NH.

Overall think it could have been better, but honestly doesn't bother me much anymore. After the initial disappointment with the back wall and not being able to paint my house as it was growing, I accepted the changes. We got some nice stuff with the pillars and partitions, the lighting, and accent walls.

Exactly guys. And @cocoacat You just made me realize something. The fact that there are now 3 holes to the left, front and right of the main living room is another main reason why I feel that the room is smaller. Where I would normally put items in those areas, I now can't without blocking the entrance to those rooms. So now I have less items to decorate the living room with. I don't know what they were thinking going backwards in all these ways. True, they made immense upgrades, but still. Why'd they go backwards in other areas? What caused that? What was their frame of mind? I wonder why...

Back