Do you think TBT should have staff with assigned jobs that are retried if they don't have time to do them?

Jeremy

Not an actual piece of furniture.
Staff
Administrator
Site Owner
Bells
Island
Númenor
Chomp Call
Smash Ball
Golden Watering Can
Red Pansy
White Pansy
White Pansy
Red Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Rose
Do you think TBT should have staff with assigned jobs that are retried if they don't have time to do them?

For example, someone in charge of events and running contests, etc. If they don't run an event or contest in x period of time, then we simply replace them with someone who has time to do so.

If you were at NSider 2, "Shop Admin" reminds me of this. The staff member's job was to keep the shop up-to-date, etc.

Or do you think we should just continue promoting normal mods?

I think the retired staff should still have SOME moderating powers. I also think we should have one or two people in charge of contests like "Contest Admins". They have a contest board that is hosted every month/week and the prize is bells or something. They can have their contests pinned if they want, etc. Basically, they would moderate and run that Contest Board.

Hmm tough question.. I think normal mods would be better, but this idea still sounds good.

Bacon Boy said:
I think the retired staff should still have SOME moderating powers. I also think we should have one or two people in charge of contests like "Contest Admins". They have a contest board that is hosted every month/week and the prize is bells or something. They can have their contests pinned if they want, etc. Basically, they would moderate and run that Contest Board.
Retired staff are retired for a reason. :veryhappy:

Jeremy said:
Bacon Boy said:
Retired staff are retired for a reason. :veryhappy:
They still should have power just in case. But I do see your point. How about my other idea?

Isn't your other idea kind of a re-hash of mine? XD

Slightly. But more fleshed out.

I think all we need is more staff, really. I don't have any problem with any of the current moderators per se, but their effectiveness as a unit seems in question.

As for the actual topic at hand, I'm not sure what contests you are referring to. If a contest that was run in the past hasn't been followed through on, just ask the person in charge of it if they want to hand it off to someone else. What's the issue here?

I think they should be able to moderate if no moderators are on.

But the reason I think some people retire is that they have to see a nasty pic a troll posts to delete it, right? Or, I think you should add an app that automatically bans people forever or temporarily if all of the online users except that person plus a retired staff member if one is online, vote that person should be banned, and besides, it would get rid of a lot of annoying noobs :J.

I think we should just get more staff.

[Nook said:
,Aug 6 2010, 06:50:53 PM]I think they should be able to moderate if no moderators are on.

But the reason I think some people retire is that they have to see a nasty pic a troll posts to delete it, right? Or, I think you should add an app that automatically bans people forever or temporarily if all of the online users except that person plus a retired staff member if one is online, vote that person should be banned, and besides, it would get rid of a lot of annoying noobs :J.
Proxies.

-Aaron said:
[Nook said:
,Aug 6 2010, 06:50:53 PM]I think they should be able to moderate if no moderators are on.

Proxies.
I think he means like a vote system. If someone is spamming, the members online vote to have that person banned regardless of proxies.

Bacon Boy said:
-Aaron said:
[Nook said:

Proxies.
I think he means like a vote system. If someone is spamming, the members online vote to have that person banned regardless of proxies.
That would be abused so much.

It would be abused, ever1 would go with some1 and gang up on the person. i think putting restrictions on the mods is kinda unfair, they could be busy with real world stuff and so on

I agree with the members who said that we simply need more staff. Staff that are willing to hold events/contests to keep the forum active as a whole and worth logging in to.

People would all try to ban certain people they didn't like...

It would be abused too much.

Bacon Boy said:
-Aaron said:
[Nook said:

Proxies.
someone needs to learn what a proxy is/does. :3

I think the warn system needs to be scaled up a little bit.

a voting system for a swift temp-ban would be nice, if not heavy-handed. a perma ban from voting would just make mob-rule, and that's a no good for da business.

for instance, if five posters get together and warn a person, the person gets banned for an hour or so, no notice. I have a feeling this would make short-attention spanned "xD trawllin!!!" trolls enough incentive to stop, if just for the day.

can this be done?

also, I don't think we need more staff (except maybe one to replace darthgohan1), just a more active staff/people being able to contact them when need be. for instance, having a chain of command, with one person having a dedicated "red phone" to the next person in line, leading higher up the list. of course, this leaves the lowest in the chain with the bulk of the responsibility, and lots of spam warns, but still, someone has to do the work, eh?

it really just boils down to who's going to be most active/responsible in their moderating efforts. this is not to say that the current staff aren't more than capable, but doing it with less people does make it harder.

tl;dr, voting system with temp-bans, etc, and maybe one more mod.

I think all mods and admins should give out their cell phone number so we can text them during a spam attack.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure there's no way to implement the "power to the people - voting to get people banned" idea. You either have mod powers or you don't.

I think the way the staff is currently set up is probably most efficient. Nsider2 is a much larger forum and a very different forum... much less personal and 50x as many active users. It would be inefficient to have permanent specific duties for mods at TBT.

DarthGohan1 said:
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure there's no way to implement the "power to the people - voting to get people banned" idea. You either have mod powers or you don't.

I think the way the staff is currently set up is probably most efficient. Nsider2 is a much larger forum and a very different forum... much less personal and 50x as many active users. It would be inefficient to have permanent specific duties for mods at TBT.
^ this

and what farren said.

except that's a bit personal, and is easy troll-bait if left out in the open/for everyone. and I think most of the older users have their own little social network going.

Back