• Join us for live Nintendo Trivia today at 6PM EDT in Discord as part of TBT's World Championship 2024 to win points for your team! if justin is awake

Dating Animal Crossing Villagers

Dating in Animal Crossing would just be too weird, it's too cutesy and innocent. As for whether or not you'd be able to date the same sex, it'd probably be a thing in Japan, and then the English versions would just have "best friendship" in its stead, since supposedly Gracie, Sahara, and that peacock are all heavily implied to be trans/crossdressing guys in Japan, (although there's no such thing as a female peacock to begin with lol).

I'm a guy, and Marshal definitely has a crush on me. Like, big time. Constant flirting, and he's sent me a few letters, for no reason, (no presents attached, and I've never written a single letter to anyone lol), with some pretty mushy stuff in them. Of course, he's probably like that to everyone because of the Smug personality, but I forgive him because he's friggn adorable ~

Oh, and I've had Amelia in all of my towns since Wild World, and the only nickname she's ever given me is "sweetie". Which wouldn't be as awkward if it wasn't highlighted in green every time she says it, which is like every other sentence.

Dating in Animal crossing is the best part. I get to date someone who I don't really know which I think is really exciting.

I've had villagers express interest in me, like innocent crushes and stuff, but the idea of introducing a mechanic where you date animals? Implied bestiality? I don't think Nintendo would ever spring for that.

These are the same people who wouldn't give Peach her own game until this decade and then only gave her the powers of PMS. Then again, there WAS that "vibe scepter" thing...wtf, Nintendo?!

Last edited:
What effect would it have on gameplay and your village?
I think that in my village i would have those annoying couples who have dumb nicknames for each other and do nose kisses. But as for the gameplay I think it would be good because the only way to tell if a villager likes you know is to get there pics and that can take a while.
What villager do you think you would date, and why?
I would probably date Daisy in my village because is a gender-flipped animal crossing version of me and she is so adorable!!
What villager do you think would most likely have a crush on you?
I think that against my will Hazel or Sally in my village would like me.

I dont think it'll affect the gameplay a lot, i mean, dating someone isn't something big.. just different dialogue from your lover.. And maybe the other villagers will sometimes tease you from time to time :D

I would date Shep, like wow damn he looks so chill, but he moved away in a TT accident..
As for my character, my friends and I like to pair him up with Eugene. We also like to think Eugene would be a stereotypical greaser, being rude and really damn flirtatious, but Eugene being a smug ruins it all, sadly. So we stopped thinking that.

and I think Walt likes me, or, well, my character because he was thinking of a nickname for him and he thought of "shorty" in which both my character and Eugene agreed that shorty is a name for your significant other

me and my ac character are different ppl ok

I'd probably end up cheating on them x: I can't decide between Fang and Zell, noooooooooo.

I don't want them to add dating into an Animal Crossing game. However, I do think it's cute to imagine my mayor having a crush on the much older and wise Walt. But I wouldn't want it to go beyond that. It is too weird, I think. I don't want to imagine her kissing or holding hands with a kangaroo! >.<

I don't think dating would ever be included in Animal Crossing. It just doesn't feel like it would fit and I can imagine the outcry from parents. But I have jokingly told my husband that Grizzly is my equivalent of his anime waifus. In my imagination, some of the things Grizzly says or writes to me are very sweet and sometimes flirty. I also sometimes ship my villagers with each other if they talk about each other a lot or hang out together and it feels right. But that's as far as I need it to go. If I wanted to play a dating sim, I wouldn't look to Animal Crossing.

dating animals? :confused:

idk, i think the game is very innocent and i like how it focuses on friendship and community. I don't think there's any room for dating in AC, though that's just my opinion ^^

imlaughingkjsskjank
everyone is my baby
i couldn't

- - - Post Merge - - -

OH
but if it was like stardew valley were you can marry other players or something like that then that'd be super cool!
it wouldnt have to do with dating tho

Idk I’m definitely against any kind of dating mechanic for your playable character. An absolute no to the whole dating animal/villager thing wtf. I DO hope that we can have actual unique friendship/bestfriend after we gained a certain level of friendship with another villager... (eg. A secret that only that villager knows, or special items you can receive from a bestfriend etc. idk) but that’s it. The most I can think of for some kind of dating thing to work is villager x villager. Your villagers could have different levels of friendship with other villagers and you can influence and encourage certain relationships. For example, if Butch and Bea are seen talking and the conversation ends on a good note with both of them singing, their friendship between each other increased. Later, Bea might ask you what you think about Butch because she has a crush on him or whatever, or whether she should choose Goldie, another villager she has a high friendship/compatibility with. Whoever you choose, they will become a “couple” or whatever, basically just hang around each other more and have unique dialogue between them. But I think us as a playable character having these dating sim type options is just too weird.

I agree that having your character be romantically involved with a villager could be problematic. I really think of my villagers as animals (which they obviously are) and it is a game for children, so adding human/animal romance seems like a huge no-go. I like the idea of animal/animal romance. WW had ?secret admirers? which was cute.

It isn't that bad and I wouldn't mind the option even if I wouldn't make use of it. There was this animal crossing like game where you actually could date the animal villagers. It wasn't as bad as it sounds! It wasn't weird or anything and the game still had his innocent touch.
I think it's unlikely that Nintendo will give us this feature anyway :)

Last edited:
Well, the newest Pocket Camp items have a "june bride" theme and one of the loading images are of a female player dressed as a bride along with Lobo, dressed as a groom, under a wedding arch, and it reads something like "tie the knot in a feathery paradise". So, maybe they are thinking of that.

Well, the newest Pocket Camp items have a "june bride" theme and one of the loading images are of a female player dressed as a bride along with Lobo, dressed as a groom, under a wedding arch, and it reads something like "tie the knot in a feathery paradise". So, maybe they are thinking of that.

Woah, lol i didnt think they would do that!

Hmm it's a bit strange for me, I'd rather not be able to date villagers
they're like my children ; w ;

i like to ship villagers with other villagers tho
i think it would be nice to have friendship indicators to see who gets along with who the most!

From me also a definitive no on PlayerXVillager romance - it's just an uncomfortably uneven dynamic. I'd be fine with a villager having a crush, or even flirting with us, as long as it stays one-sided though

Relationships or mutual crushes between Animals I'm completely down for, even if it's on the bottom of my list of hopes/wants for the new game. I could see them asking us for advice or to deliver a present to their crush because they're too shy to do it ♥️

WW had ?secret admirers? which was cute.

That's adorable, I did not know that about WW! I'd definitely be all for that returning in the new game. Really most anything that adds more dialogue or interaction between villagers would be greatly appreciated!

Back