• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!
  • TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Catching Scorpions

friendlycat

this user loves cats 🐱
Bells
Mailbox
Silver Mailbox
I am trying to catch a scorpion for my encyclopedia, but I can't find one. My town is full of flowers so I tried to clear a 6x6 space, but all i'm getting is crickets! I was wondering if I have to get rid of more flowers or if they just have such a low spawn rate. I have been trying to save and coninue, then walk back to the same spot for over an hour.

Also, I donated a scorpion to the museum somehow... Even though it says I never caught one.... I don't know what's up with that or how to fix it. I have been off for a while but i'm pretty sure I never created a character with the same name just to donate one scorpion and delete....

Hm...I'll try to answer both.
1. Maybe you should try to make a larger area. Sure, there's more crickets but I found that scorpions also spawn, just less chance. Since I've played for a while, I have a theory. Each area that's not occupied (flowers, items, rocks) spawns certain bugs that have a different spawn rate. It depends on the factors so each time an hour goes, the game sets the spawn rates differently. So, I had a theory that you should pick the best time that less varieties of bugs appear. Unfortunately, crickets are all night so...

Maybe you should do before 11pm. I'm not sure if giant stags or scarab beetles appear during those times but it might help. I also believe fish doesn't make a different in the spawn rate of bugs.

So, here's an example,
Crickets are 10% they'll appear on a tile.
Bell Crickets are 7%
Scorpion is a 0.1%.

Adding more does add more variety on how the spawn rates work.
Sorry for talking big, basically just try to catch before 11pm. (Also beetles appear more often after 11pm)

2. I don't know. :/ Sorry.

thank you! I'll try making a bigger space. I just wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong or not!

Ok! :3

BTW, I did some research and I found these...
1. Giant stags and rainbow stags do not appear in September
2. Lantern flies do at September and at 11pm to 8am. :/
3. If you can, try to catch crickets to free up space.
4. If you know this, :], use scorpion hunting tips, they're online.

It's weird, but I always see scorpions EVERYWHERE when they're available. My town is mostly open spaces though, I shove all pwps into corners....
And I've noticed that my scorpions always spawn in the exact same places, and that I see a lot on the "pavements" outside of town hall and Re-Tail.
So, my advice would be if you do see one, save and continue in that area over and over. I have never had scorpions not appear in the exact same spots.

On the other question, are you totally sure you never did? :confused: How old is your town? Maybe you caught one late at night a long time ago and forgot all about it?

Edit: WAIT WHAT? It says you NEVER caught one? I missed that part, I have no idea how that could ever happen.... Maybe some glitch with the WA update?

Last edited:
Hoot! I actually found a scorpion in my empty field. Just when it hit 7pm in my area. :] (PST)

It's weird, but I always see scorpions EVERYWHERE when they're available. My town is mostly open spaces though, I shove all pwps into corners....
And I've noticed that my scorpions always spawn in the exact same places, and that I see a lot on the "pavements" outside of town hall and Re-Tail.
So, my advice would be if you do see one, save and continue in that area over and over. I have never had scorpions not appear in the exact same spots.

On the other question, are you totally sure you never did? :confused: How old is your town? Maybe you caught one late at night a long time ago and forgot all about it?

Edit: WAIT WHAT? It says you NEVER caught one? I missed that part, I have no idea how that could ever happen.... Maybe some glitch with the WA update?

this is what I get for cheating probably :( I used to dupe items a lot so maybe something happened. it's one of my last two bugs and it says that I donated it in february which.... they don't even spawn in february so I have no idea. maybe it says that because of time traveling.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Hoot! I actually found a scorpion in my empty field. Just when it hit 7pm in my area. :] (PST)

Lucky!

I haven't caught one yet either (to be fair I haven't dedicated myself to filling my bug dex completely yet), but I did see one once by the cliff near my beach, so at least I know they're in my game. When I tried to catch it though it stung me. :<

They seem to spawn in wide, open areas late at night. After walking around town after my first encounter, I tend to see more tarantulas than I do scorpions, so they're probably extremely rare to find depending on your game. Too bad you can't just travel to someone else's town to catch one. It'd be so funny seeing your friends' character passing out from being stung or your own character. :D

I haven't caught one yet either (to be fair I haven't dedicated myself to filling my bug dex completely yet), but I did see one once by the cliff near my beach, so at least I know they're in my game. When I tried to catch it though it stung me. :<

They seem to spawn in wide, open areas late at night. After walking around town after my first encounter, I tend to see more tarantulas than I do scorpions, so they're probably extremely rare to find depending on your game. Too bad you can't just travel to someone else's town to catch one. It'd be so funny seeing your friends' character passing out from being stung or your own character. :D

I know! I really wish I could go to someone else's town and catch one. It's going to be a nightmare when I have to put all these flowers back. Last night it started raining at 11, so I couldn't even look anymore!

update: I just got CHASED by one of those crazy things and it was so scary.... he chased me in circles around my town tree. the tree noises sound a lot like the hissing so I wasn't sure at first but damn... those things are so fast... pretty sure i've never caught one before. I would know if i'd ever experienced that. at least I know they are spawning in my town! thanks for the tips

Last edited:
No problem! Hoo, that is one of the most scariest things in a game. Screw Slenderman and Silent Hill. THAT is the scariest.

I saw most of scorpions on the plaza, train station and paths in my town, they always appeared when I was busy emptying my pocket and moving furniture going back and forth.

Back