• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

Banjo plays New Leaf - for the first time ever!

ElwhI0TUcAU8-Ys.jpg

Halloween was fun! I wish it was mixed with a little of what New Horizons did with the costumes and getting candy for visiting villagers, but the concept of Jack being hidden around town and getting info to scare villagers into giving you lollipops was fun! The enjoyment lasted longer than the NH event for me, but both had little things that I wish were a little different. The constant bombardment of villagers stopping you to trick or treat got old a little fast, and not being able to stack candy made it difficult to always have some on hand. But hey, it was still fun!
Elwg9cvVMAEPGM6.jpg

ElwhEIKU0Ac8TfB.jpg

I got to scare Fang with a werewolf mask! Robin too. Never got a bug mask so I couldn't scare Jacques or Rod.

Earlier in the day, caught Peck walking around town. That's a nice little feature, having old villagers visit the shops.
Elwg2CeVcAYQ0Lh.jpg

In bigger news, the "cha-chomp" is spreading!
Elwgr-GUcAAr578.jpg

That's all for now. Happy Sunday!

Oh noooo, Fang the trendsetter. I have him in my New Leaf town too and half the villagers say ‘cha-chomp’ and wear his initial shirt

Robin asked to leave, and I told her okay, and then she turned around and said "you know what you're right, we have too many memories! I can't leave!" I heard about this but never thought it would happen to me.
20201103_061459.jpg

On a different note, I love Rod.
20201103_061514.jpg

He's so silly and full of himself but he's so tiny and adorable.
Post automatically merged:

I'm enjoying the fall mushroom craze in New Leaf. I like that the mushrooms are simply fit selling and that one of the mushrooms every day is an item. Though, I do miss Cornimer...

Club LOL is open, and the first villager to visit was Groucho!
EmBrQ0gUYAAZPH0.jpg

Thought this was cute, but Robin shared with me the first letter I ever sent her.
EmBq_v6U8AA5c5t.jpg

Also, looks like I'm getting a new shop! From what I've heard (on Twitter), it's Harriet! I'm guessing a hair stylist.
EmBrGNjU4AIUj89.jpg

That's all for now!

I finally met whats-his-face and got my first medal! (I already forgot his name)
EmaAoW-UcAEstDH.jpg

Also got my first hair cut! That was a fun experience that I wish was in NH
EmaA0i6UYAAgHZk.jpg

Okay okay, so the villagers repeat a lot of stuff, but I love hearing this almost every day!
EmaAcnfVkAE1PEL.jpg

Loving how main street is shaping up! The music was different today too! Maybe it was just coincidence, but I'm pretty sure it was different...
EmaAwRAU4AACS96.jpg

Congratulations! Yes new leaf which I played for six years is an amazing game. Honestly, I do prefer new horizons though. But new leaf will always hold a special place in my heart

First fishing tourney this past weekend for me! Gotta say, it's a little horrifying to watch Chip eat the fish in front of you. I'm a catch and release type of guy myself...
20201122_145946.jpg

20201122_145941.jpg

I did enjoy the way it was run though, by trying to catch the biggest of one type of fish. Much harder but much more realistic, and competing against the other villagers is fun. Groucho won, I came in 3rd!

20201122_145935.jpg

Bunnie is moving in, now that Pudge is gone. Did I mention Pudge was moving out? I liked him, but I like the quick rotation in New Leaf too.

Had my first game of hide and seek, and I won!
20201122_145931.jpg
20201122_145927.jpg

Congratulations! Yes new leaf which I played for six years is an amazing game. Honestly, I do prefer new horizons though. But new leaf will always hold a special place in my heart
I do really, really love New Horizons. It's crisp, clean, has a lot of customizations you can do on your own without feeling gated off by lack of funds (town projects in NL) or just lack of ability (only being able to customize your house with furniture), but the big, big thing that's really lacking that even Pocket Camp has in the form of the Happy Helper plan is the whole "you're living and hanging out in this space with your friends" feeling. NH's backbone is primarily making your island a tropical paradise to attract visitors and make the island hopping so people wanna come visit. The campers that visit make comments, the ratings of the island, etc. In Pocket Camp, I get the feeling more so that the villagers are coming to hang out around your campground, but they really really want to be invited to come play with you at your cabin or campsite, and they are super excited when you do! The Happy Helper plan gives you that real close buddy who you can go do stuff with and check on and dance and all kinds of silly stuff. In New Leaf, though it came out way before Pocket Camp, it feels to expand on that more with the addition of the other NPCs (I love getting my hair cut) and through the various games and tasks you can do with the villagers, not to mention Tortimer Island. It feels less like you are trying to make things look as nice as possible to make everyone happy and more that you are playing to enjoy the game as much as possible. I felt myself playing NH a few months into it in a more perfectionist fashion, where I had all these goals and I wanted to make my island pretty. In Pocket Camp, I don't really care about any of that (anymore) and I just like checking in with Fang. In New Leaf, I feel slightly overwhelmed with the sheer cost of all the cool projects, but I'm also excited that there are so many projects for me to tackle to get all these cool buildings and NPCs. I feel that there is a big challenge in the game though where customization comes into play. I miss the vast storage and pocket size that I got in New Horizons, but I'm managing to work through that by being more comfortable selling items and reordering things through the catalog, where in New Horizons I was a serious hoarder.

Sorry for the long reply but you get what I mean right? NH = NL as far as my favorite in the series, because they do things different ways. One does some things better, the other does other things better. They just need to combine the two over future updates and wham bam-a-lam we're gonna have the perfect, perfect game.

The Roost is opening today! Sold turnips for the first time, bought at 91 and sold for 358 each, made a good profit and was able to expedite that project. No pictures yet but I'll share my excitement when I hop in!

I put it right next to my house 😁

20201127_204030.jpg

20201127_204039.jpg

Delicious!
Post automatically merged:

I did really enjoy the harvest festival. It was basically what we got in NH, just toned down a bit I think. I didn't really get to play much but I did use it as an opportunity to get new fruit.

Really happy with the progress I'm making in the game. Brewster is pretty cool. Not too sure I understand the "coffee to go" thing yet, but I'll get there.
EoGS8qtVEAAeQ4l.jpg

I'll always visit you , Brewster!
EoGSyNwVcAAo8jw.jpg

Love the cast of characters that can appear in the cafe too!

EoGTHXnUcAEFpkc.jpg

My first perfect fruit!

EoGTUNiVcAE_L1I.jpg

Miranda was visiting, she seems alright. Invited her to move in! Quackulous!

EoGTZvZVEAAo684.jpg

Yes, yes I am your princess. He's probably my favorite non-villager character.

EoGUxNcUcAAPcHP.jpg

Okay so I haven't done much with Shrunk but today I finally remembered to bring him a snack and OH MY GOD HE GIVES YOU REACTIONS! It's a clever little way they hid that feature on me...but I'll remember now! Seems a little silly that only one character can teach them to you, but hey!

After very little consideration, I have changed my profile pic on my Switch to my favorite sea-faring turtle lizard thing.
EoZifnmUcAA4aki.jpg

He does sing the best songs. I feel bad not going on a ride to the island in a while, but maybe today! Maybe...

There's almost too much to do right now in New Leaf. Almost.

Every day I'm working to make money by collecting all the fruit I've planted and selling it as well as the fossils the museum can't donate. I'm behind on catching fish for the season. I haven't gone to Tortimer Island in a great while. I keep forgetting to give Shrunk a snack! Only done it twice so far. I also haven't been sending letters. And I have been forgetting to go to the KK concerts on Saturdays! Ugh so busy! I haven't even bothered with planting flowers or the museum exhibition rental spaces yet! And I don't have my diving suit!

I just try to play it the way I play NH now - go in when I can, do some stuff that I want to do (mostly trying to make money to get more rooms in my house so I can get stuff out of my precious storage!), and always ALWAYS get coffee.

Mentioned it in my Island Journal for NH, but this game has made me appreciate some of the characters more, like Isabelle and Label. I really like Isabelle in this because she's both more useful and has more interactions with you, since the game startup is more of a one-on-one mayor update vs the island news in NH. I also love Harriet, and even if I like my hair I'll try to mix it up once in a while just to pay her a visit. I wish Celeste was a little more useful and interactable, but I still try to visit once in a while. Sable is just as useful if not more, but I never want to use the sewing machine because I'm no graphical artist, I just like talking to her! I seem to like talking to the shy characters...

SO many characters makes the game feel so much more alive.

Back