Any Star Fox fans here?

LilysNewLeaf

Bells
I kind of have an unhealthy obsession with the Star Fox series and I was wondering if there are any other Star Fox fans here? My favorite characters are Fox and Krystal.

I played the original Starfox, SF64, and SF Adventures back in the day. I think to me I like SF64 the most.

I like Star Fox a big deal. My favorites are Adventures and Assault.

Star Fox used to be my obsession when I was younger! Played every single game. Adventures was my favorite.

I like Star Fox a big deal. My favorites are Adventures and Assault.

That's awesome! I like Adventures and Assault too, who's your favorite character?

Star Fox used to be my obsession when I was younger! Played every single game. Adventures was my favorite.

Sweet! Adventures is pretty great even though I wish Krystal could've gotten more screen time.

I loved adventures. It's not the first Star Fox game I played, but it's the first time I knowingly played a game in the franchise. It is one that I need to go back to though since I really can't remember why I liked it, it was so long ago, but I know it's "one of those" games where I finished it and started over straight away.

The rest?

Assault is one I always wanted to play but I'm not paying the prices I see it going for. Like Adventures, it doesn't seem typical of a Star Fox game.

The other Star Fox games, I just find them pretty boring honestly.

As I said, I unknowingly played Star Fox 64, which in the UK we knew as Lylat Wars (hence not knowing it was a Star Fox game). It was fine, I borrowed it from the kid across the street. I didn't really know genres or anything 'technical' back then but I think this is when I found I wasn't much a fan of on rails shooters...Well, those that don't give you a light gun. Time Crisis is still awesome.

I ended up playing Star Fox for the SNES years later and whilst I could appreciate it for what it was and being technically pretty brilliant for the hardware it was on, again, I didn't find the appeal. Felt like one of those games that was a marvel of its time but too dated to actually play today.

Picked up Star Fox 64 3D thinking that maybe I'll appreciate it more now, maybe its one of those games where I just wasn't in the mood or something when I first played it but nope, I still couldn't get into it.

I gave a hard pass on Star Fox Zero and Star Fox 2. It was pretty clear at this point I didn't like 'those' Star Fox games.

I find it fascinating that everybody loves Star Fox so much since on rails shooter isn't something that strikes me as a popular genre...Barely even a genre actually these days, it's usually a small possibly reoccurring segment in a larger game most people tend to complain about having to do. Add to that all the main/traditional Star Fox games are seemingly always trying to just remake the first one for whatever reason, it seems not even Nintendo really knows what to do with it.

I don't hate the series, but I don't understand the hype at all. I at least enjoy or like the idea of the less 'traditional' games though.

That's awesome! I like Adventures and Assault too, who's your favorite character?

God that's tough, I've always been fond of Peppy and Falco tho :0. General Scales is sick design wise wish he didn't get the shaft in the game tho :p

Last edited:
Neat to see so much love for Star Fox Adventures these days as it was pretty rare upon it's release to find anyone happy with the game.

It certainly was beautiful. In fact it still is one of those few titles from that era you can pick up and forget you're playing a nearly 20 year old game.

The story of how it came to be is of course fascinating as it was originally supposed to be a game called Dinosaur Planet for the N64. This video actually has some cool gameplay footage of the original side by side with the final. Pretty neat stuff. A few good documentary type videos out there about the messy story of Adventures exist as well. Worth looking into if you haven't already. It's interesting.

Anyway I enjoyed Adventures my first time through but found it lacking anything that would make me play it again later. (Though I have a few times just out of boredom) When the game was orignally reviewed by most sites everyone was quick to bash the gameplay for being too Zelda like without any truly deep story or puzzles.

To that end I suppose it's a fair criticism but the first time I played Adventures, I had never actually played a Zelda game for more than a short time. So none of that mattered to me. I just enjoyed the beautiful scenery, amazing sound and had fun playing.

Now that being said, the game had some flaws. The combat system could have been easily expanded upon to make the game more fun. As it stands you just kind of twirl your baton a little and easily defeat most enemies. The general difficulty level never increases much and as you progress you don't acquire many new skills or tools. It gets very repetitive unfortunately and this really kills the replayability along with the overly simple puzzles.

I've always wondered just how much this game suffered because of Nintendo forcing RARE to use the Starfox IP and shoehorn it into an already finished game. Would it still have been a letdown gameplay wise? Probably. But I bet the story would have been worlds better.

At any rate it was this game that ended the long standing and historically awesome relationship between RARE and Nintendo. Not that they were the same RARE they'd been in the 20th century. But still it was the end of an era and that makes this game historically meaningful, if otherwise fairly average.

Last edited:
I'e tried it out on the snes thing the switch has, but didn't like it much. I may just have to get use to it though.

I'e tried it out on the snes thing the switch has, but didn't like it much. I may just have to get use to it though.

I didn't care for the broken, jumpy graphics when it was brand new and supposed to be amazing me with it's 3D. Starfox 2 fixed a lot of that but honestly I feel like the only true gem in the series is SF64.

i used to have an obsession with star fox when i was younger but i dont remember too much about it to be honest. recently i replayed the snes game since it came out with nintendo switch online and i found myself having a lot of fun with it. i also remember being really excited for star fox zero on the wii u up until its release when heard that it was kind of bad which bummed me out a little and i ended up never picking it up to see how it was.

Neat to see so much love for Star Fox Adventures these days as it was pretty rare upon it's release to find anyone happy with the game.

It certainly was beautiful. In fact it still is one of those few titles from that era you can pick up and forget you're playing a nearly 20 year old game.

The story of how it came to be is of course fascinating as it was originally supposed to be a game called Dinosaur Planet for the N64. This video actually has some cool gameplay footage of the original side by side with the final. Pretty neat stuff. A few good documentary type videos out there about the messy story of Adventures exist as well. Worth looking into if you haven't already. It's interesting.

Anyway I enjoyed Adventures my first time through but found it lacking anything that would make me play it again later. (Though I have a few times just out of boredom) When the game was orignally reviewed by most sites everyone was quick to bash the gameplay for being too Zelda like without any truly deep story or puzzles.

To that end I suppose it's a fair criticism but the first time I played Adventures, I had never actually played a Zelda game for more than a short time. So none of that mattered to me. I just enjoyed the beautiful scenery, amazing sound and had fun playing.

Now that being said, the game had some flaws. The combat system could have been easily expanded upon to make the game more fun. As it stands you just kind of twirl your baton a little and easily defeat most enemies. The general difficulty level never increases much and as you progress you don't acquire many new skills or tools. It gets very repetitive unfortunately and this really kills the replayability along with the overly simple puzzles.

I've always wondered just how much this game suffered because of Nintendo forcing RARE to use the Starfox IP and shoehorn it into an already finished game. Would it still have been a letdown gameplay wise? Probably. But I bet the story would have been worlds better.

At any rate it was this game that ended the long standing and historically awesome relationship between RARE and Nintendo. Not that they were the same RARE they'd been in the 20th century. But still it was the end of an era and that makes this game historically meaningful, if otherwise fairly average.

The development behind this game has always been so interesting. I'm a huge Rare stan so that plays a part in why I love it so much lol. I agree with the graphics, Rare's always been great at graphics, their Xbox original and Xbox 360 games still look fantastic to this day.

The development behind this game has always been so interesting. I'm a huge Rare stan so that plays a part in why I love it so much lol. I agree with the graphics, Rare's always been great at graphics, their Xbox original and Xbox 360 games still look fantastic to this day.

Even their NES games (I'm old enough to have played them when they were new lol) were outstanding to look at. They did quite a few but two of them I loved and thought looked amazing at the time were R.C. Pro Am

And, my beloved rarely (see what I did there?) talked about game. The masterful, Cobra Triangle.

I was super young but I was BLOWN AWAY at how good these games looked at the time. We all were. It was like "how did they make it look like 3D???" and on top of that they were fun.

So yeah I was hooked on Rare at a young age and it only got better with the DKC games and the Banjo Kazooie titles. When I heard they were making a StarFox game I was beyond stoked. Then I started reading about how Dinosaur Planet had been turned into this new StarFox game and I grew suspicious.

Most of these suspicions were confirmed upon playing Adventures.

I saw a documentary on youtube once about the history of Rare or perhaps it was just about the whole Adventures/Dinosaur Planet thing and in it they mentioned that even years later, Rare still had life sized statues of Krystal and some other character from DP sitting out in the front of their lobby. Kind of thumbing their nose at Nintendo I guess. Heh.

Last edited:
Back