• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!
  • TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

A bit of a passive aggressive reminder...

There are haters everywhere. People expecting others to play the game the way they played. It's like I like eating sushi with soya sauce and a little wasabi and the girl sitting next to me frowned at me because I am not eating the way she likes, eat them plain and raw lol

I have not seen it either. If your talking about minor disagreements between people about time traveling or not I would not consider that bulling in any way as it is just a conflict of opinions which everyone is entitled to. I personally don't like time traveling nor do I do it and I don't go around picking on people who do. I think many others are the same way.

You know, it’s funny that more and more of those topics are appearing, because this is what causes the trouble in the first place. I see the only negativity coming from those who actually using tt by just complaining what they don’t find in the game and then, when people tell them that this ac is handled differently than nf for example, people are complaining that it is gatekeeping?

Guys, from all the posts so far, the most negativity comes from those, who uses tt and later on complaining. That is sadly a fact. It has nothing to do with gatekeeping. Like many people here said, they don’t care if people tt or not, but they will not do it this time or at all. As I said so many time before, relax and wait. Nintendo is handling this game differently this time. We don’t know what will stay and what not.

A lot can change over time, we just have to wait and see... even if many of use are locked up at home because of Corona.

Last edited:
Whenever I see a post on the forums excluding time travelers from events and get togethers, I get so mad. Like seriously??? They literally didn't do anything to you??? They're just playing the game the way they want to play it??? Leave time travelers alone???

I've TT and havent had any complaints when people came to my island, so I hope I dont get attacked. I work a lot (especially with this crisis, gotta love being considered essential) so the days I have off I TT a lot. The days I work I only TT time since I dont get off until late. Everyone TT for different reasons and we should never judge how someone plays a game unless it's cheating!!

You know, it’s funny that more and more of those topics are appearing, because this is what causes the trouble in the first place. I see the only negativity coming from those who actually using tt by just complaining what they don’t find in the game and then, when people tell them that this ac is handled differently than nf for example, people are complaining that it is gatekeeping?

Guys, from all the posts so far, the most negativity comes from those, who uses tt and later on complaining. That is sadly a fact. It has nothing to do with gatekeeping. Like many people here said, they don’t care if people tt or not, but they will not do it this time or at all. As I said so many time before, relax and wait. Nintendo is handling this game differently this time. We don’t know what will stay and what not.

A lot can change over time, we just have to wait and see... even if many of use are locked up at home because of Corona.

I do not wish to start an argument, but I would like to address what you're saying. Personally, I disagree. You're absolutely entitled to your own opinion, but I would like to put this out there for people to consider both sides. Since I can't find a better way to put into words, I will leave you with a quote by another user on another thread I was on:
I love the game so far, but it's more than fine for me to be worried about certain little things like furniture sets or gyroids not being dug up. I'd be elated to be disproven later down the line, but initially I am going to be a little concerned. And that's fine. Until those things come by then I'll miss them dearly, and I think it's more than acceptable to voice it. I don't think people need to gatekeep animal crossing and come on and police and harp on every little thread that might be complaining a little. Please go find appreciation threads if you want to express appreciation. That's the reason that there'd be any sort of toxicity to this community. Not the fact that some people aren't 100000% siked about everything.
Absolutely stand by this user's statement.

Last edited:

tbh this seems kinda either victim blame-y or just off topic. this thread isnt about negativity in the community regarding time travelers, it's about people actually being insulted and harassed for playing the game how they want to play. this thread isnt aimed at the people saying "oh that's just not how the game is intended to be played," they aren't really doing anything besides being annoying. this thread is aimed at the people who literally go to someone's dms and say hateful things, and to spread awareness of that fact.

like i said earlier, it may not happen here but it can in different communities and if we just keep that in mind and remind others if we see it happen, maybe this thread wouldnt even exist. even if we dont see it ourselves that doesnt mean it doesnt happen; its the same as other social issues. its hard to understand things if they dont happen to u personally, but please keep an open mind and carry some empathy. no one asks to be insulted, and bad comments tend to stick with u for a long while.

Last edited:
All I've seen is people, myself included, suggesting that time traveling is causing a lot of the worries as we don't have all the content just yet. If Nintendo plans for us to have a Cafe for example after 30 days. That's great, but some (definitely not all) time travelers are going to rant or complain during the first or second week because they blew through all the content faster than Nintendo intended, so now they're stuck where we are besides maybe having a few buildings or features more than others.

I don't mind if someone wants to time travel, and I'm definitely not trying to gatekeep on the topic.

Last edited:
On twitter there are nut jobs telling people to k*ll themselves and calling tt’s “cheating r*tards.” I would link the post but I don't think bell tree allows that. I have 4 screenshots out of countless examples I have seen in my likes.

The way these people display such aggressive behavior by looking down on others, and making passive aggressive comments if someone does not demonstrate the same set of “moral code” in regards to a VIDEOGAME is making them look like they have NPD. As I said in a previous post, anyone who gets worked up about either time traveling or refusing to do so has a deeper problem that needs to be addressed because that attitude most certainly isn’t all about the game.

I have played this game since gamecube version where time travel really did not much at all. I love this franchise with all my heart. I will time travel a day, another day, but i will never time travel months ahead to catch rare fish or partake in seasonal events. To each their own and as much as I do love this game and it means so much to me, it is a GAME. Do as you please.

Last edited:
Guys, from all the posts so far, the most negativity comes from those, who uses tt and later on complaining. That is sadly a fact. It has nothing to do with gatekeeping.

Unfortunately, I have to disagree here.

There is an important difference between complaining and giving constructive criticism. For example, disliking the fact that we can't craft something from materials currently in storage. These are very valid pieces of key feedback that Nintendo can learn from its community and bring back to the developers, thus bettering the quality of the game in the future. It's one thing to say, 'the game sucks' blatantly with nothing else of value, but it's another to bring up suggestions and solutions to current flaws that can make the game better.

Additionally, it does have to do with gatekeeping. I have personally seen replies on twitter posts and other social media platforms of players outright being unpleasant (sometimes aggressively derogatory/crude) or leaving comments like, "TT's aren't legit AC players anyway" or "TT's can't play the game as intended, then they don't belong here." This is the literal definition of gatekeeping; when a person or group takes it upon themselves to decide who should be included in a hobby or community based on personal opinion.

Last edited:
On twitter there are nut jobs telling people to k*ll themselves and calling tt’s “cheating r*tards.” I would link the post but I don't think bell tree allows that. I have 4 screenshots out of countless examples I have seen in my likes.

The way these people display such aggressive behavior by looking down on others, and making passive aggressive comments if someone does not demonstrate the same set of “moral code” in regards to a VIDEOGAME is making them look like they have NPD. As I said in a previous post, anyone who gets worked up about either time traveling or refusing to do so has a deeper problem that needs to be addressed because that attitude most certainly isn’t all about the game.

I have played this game since gamecube version where time travel really did not much at all. I love this franchise with all my heart. I will time travel a day, another day, but i will never time travel months ahead to catch rare fish or partake in seasonal events. To each their own and as much as I do love this game and it means so much to me, it is a GAME. Do as you please.

Ugh. I hate how people are turning a game like Animal Crossing into something toxic.

Let's set it straight for everyone right here and now:

YES, people are allowed to have their concerns/complaints/worries. It's perfectly normal.

NO, just because we have our complaints doesn't mean we hate the game (I personally LOVE it).

NO, complaints about the game are not personal attacks.

YES, people are allowed to play in different ways than you.

I think I've pretty much covered everything...

Last edited:

None of the hate is here though, right? I know the community here does a good job at respecting opinions, and in the cases they don't, the mods are always quick to remind us all to stay respectful

None of the hate is here though, right? I know the community here does a good job at respecting opinions, and in the cases they don't, the mods are always quick to remind us all to stay respectful

Oh for sure. My point is, it is going on, I have seen it. Maybe not here, thank goodness. This place has been great. But in the animal crossing community on a general level, you'd be shocked at how many vicious people there are for such an endearing little game.

I've seen some people in this community exclude time travelers on The Airport forums, sadly...

People see somebody time travel in this game and act like their mother was spat on.

This is the first animal crossing game that I won’t be time traveling in, mostly because I wanna watch the slow evolution for once. In doing so, I’ve noticed that purists mostly look down on it because they feel offended by the fact that TTs are so much farther ahead of them with seemingly less grinding/work (which isn’t true because...I mean...they still have to play the game lol). They get hit with an inferiority complex, and just get to calling people names and telling them things like “Your island might be done, but you did NOT earn it!” People need to just leave everyone to their own devices and let them play how they wanna play. This isn’t a competitive game, there isn’t even a leaderboard or anyone being compared to anybody. Chill.

People spent 60 on a game they should be able to play how they want. For those buying from time travelers or using their in game shops, it’s hypocritical to judge. You’re benefiting from them time traveling.

Edit: I’ve seen threads where people have in their rules stuff like “dont interact if you tt” Petty much?

Last edited:
I disagree. Time traveling is equivalent to cheating and cant be seen any other way no matter how you'd like to spin it. People can cheat all they want because it doesn't affect me in the slightest (Except for the people scamming people with future stuff for higher prices) Duplication was also cheating and it hurt other players and I'd say that's where I draw the shame line.

Last edited:
I agree with the OP.

People can have opinions for Time Traveling, but shaming other players for doing it will not create anything good. Maybe people should focus on enjoying the game instead of worrying what things others do, which doesn't even affect them in the first place... Ultimately, you can't control how others decide to play and NH isn't a competitive game like Pokemon, folks.

Time traveling is discouraged, but Kyogoku and Nogami don’t consider it cheating.

“We think that in order for the players to play for a very long time, and also for players to share the experience with their friends or family, we do think that playing without traveling would probably be the ideal way,” Nogami said.
Washington Post interview

while there's no denying the devs would prefer people not to TT and have said as much and certainly put in measures to discourage it, it's important to keep in mind that they don't consider it cheating. it's simply another play style that affects absolutely no one outside of the person doing it. if they didn't want people to time travel at all, i'm sure they'd figure out a way to patch it so that adjusting the system clock wouldn't affect the game's internal clock, much like they patched the duplication glitch — which was a legitimate glitch that was actually harmful to the multiplayer aspect of the game.

i do understand the concern about spoilers... to a degree. earlier in the thread someone compared acnh spoilers to being spoiled for any other game (i believe ff7r was the specific example) and i'm inclined to agree with that. the only reason animal crossing is held to a different standard is because of its intended but not enforced real-time play style. being spoiled for anything is awful, which is why, as someone who personally time travels, i'm fully in support of nintendo's decision to lock events behind updates (even if that does concern me for later in the game's lifespan when it inevitably stops receiving support) because it limits the chances of spoilers, but there's always still a risk of them, time traveling or not. it's just that, like with anything else, it's up to you to curate your media intake to avoid them. limit your exposure entirely or limit it only to those who you know won't post spoilers (or will tag their spoilers).

it's perfectly fine to not want to time travel and play the game in real-time, as the devs prefer, but it's also not hurting anyone if someone decides they do want to time travel, as the devs have said is also valid, especially during a time when a large portion of the world is quarantined and/or self-isolating. people are allowed to play the game how they want to play it as long as it isn't something that affects the game balance (like the duping glitch) or is deliberately malicious towards other people. it's not a game about winning or losing, so playing it at a pace that you want to shouldn't even have to be a topic of discussion, let alone a controversial one. it's definitely been exactly that since the game's gamecube days and it resurfaces every time a new game comes out, but it seems like it might even be worse this time than the new leaf backlash was. the malice i've seen towards time travelers on twitter alone over the last week has been absolutely ridiculous and i genuinely don't understand how or why someone would be okay with being as cruel as i've seen people being over something that doesn't affect them at all — but i guess that could be said for a variety of topics.

Back