• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details!

Pokémon 5th Generation Underrated?

I don't love the region itself, but the pokemon weren't bad. Hoenn is my least favorite region, but Unova is a close second.

I feel that it is. It has some of my favorite mons in the series (Emolga, Krookodile, Volcanona, just to name a few), N was a really great character, Team Plasma's 'front' of wanting to free pokemon was a good idea, and Hugh is the best rival to date, as he has a motive for getting stronger (recovering his sister's purrloin), as opposed to the 'I'm going to get better just to be better than you' type rivals of the past gens.

I skipped B/W and B2/W2, but that was more because I just didn't play the original DS much anyway. I've just never gotten around to it.

But when playing X and not being sure which Pokemon were from gen 5 or 6 till later on, I thought gen 5 had some pretty decent looking Pokemon. I really don't see a problem with them. Maybe the games themselves weren't great, I dunno, but the Pokemon themselves weren't radically worse or better than any other gen.

I especially don't understand how people can say the entire gen was awful based on a few cherry picked examples like Vanilluxe and Trubbish, then go on to glorify older games as though crap like Voltorb, Grimer, Ditto and Geodude don't exist. I mean, at least Vanilluxe and Trubbish have some design to them, they have unique patterns and other physical aspects to them that are more than just an ice cream or some rubbish...The others are literally just 'thing with eyes'.

I skipped B/W and B2/W2, but that was more because I just didn't play the original DS much anyway. I've just never gotten around to it.

But when playing X and not being sure which Pokemon were from gen 5 or 6 till later on, I thought gen 5 had some pretty decent looking Pokemon. I really don't see a problem with them. Maybe the games themselves weren't great, I dunno, but the Pokemon themselves weren't radically worse or better than any other gen.

I especially don't understand how people can say the entire gen was awful based on a few cherry picked examples like Vanilluxe and Trubbish, then go on to glorify older games as though crap like Voltorb, Grimer, Ditto and Geodude don't exist. I mean, at least Vanilluxe and Trubbish have some design to them, they have unique patterns and other physical aspects to them that are more than just an ice cream or some rubbish...The others are literally just 'thing with eyes'.
Oh come on now. Geodude isn't just a "thing with eyes".

It has arms too

The region itself isn't bad, though some people complain that it is too circular or something? Which just seems, again, like complaining for the sake of complaining.

I really like Black 2 & White 2. It actually has stuff to do after you beat the game considering it has the Pokemon World Tournament south of Driftveil City and the Battle Subway.

Meanwhile, all X & Y has postgame is Looker missions that don't last very long and an Elite 4 whose Pokemon do not raise in level for subsequent battles. Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire have legendaries to catch, but most of those can also be caught in Black 2 & White 2. Both X/Y and ORAS have the Battle Maison, but that's far less interesting than battling gym leaders and champions from all the previous generations.

I'd recommend trying them someday. I've already gone over the reasons I like the generation in a previous post. Heck, I played them on my 3DS, so you don't even need to go out of your way to find a DS Lite or anything like that.

generation 5 has the worst selection of starters by far

I thought 5th gen was gr8 I loved the B/W games, I remember being pretty surprised to learn that a lot of people disliked them. The new Pok?mon were mostly good and the characters/story were solid as far as Pok?mon games go. B2/W2 were really weak though, I even hated both the trainer designs. lol

Honestly, what is this "Hate?"

Gen 5 had a good bit of side games where the starters appeared. Like My fave: Poke-park 2.
I feel like they thought it was the best.
But honestly Kalos was a little better, but they didn't do so much with it?

Oh come on now. Geodude isn't just a "thing with eyes".

It has arms too

Awwwh man, how could I forget its arms!

That practically puts it among the more unique designs!

I'd recommend trying them someday. I've already gone over the reasons I like the generation in a previous post. Heck, I played them on my 3DS, so you don't even need to go out of your way to find a DS Lite or anything like that.

I plan on doing at some point since they're the only games in the main series I've not played so far. I think I would at least like to play them before the next game in the main series is released!

Gen 5 is probably the best one honestly, the hate for it is completely unwarranted. It's definitely the most polished, fresh, experience. First one that I'd recommend to anyone trying to get into the series, it defines Pokemon the best.

2 is probably my favorite but I'll admit a bias, as far as functioning and being fun is, I think Gen 5 takes the cake in every regard. Easily surpasses the overhyped, framerate destroying Gen 6, if nothing else.

Back