• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Glitches from the Adoption of Villagers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bells
Feedback
0% (0) +
Nintendo Released a patch addressing the main issue (ver 1.1.2). However, it instead created much more bugs that are possibly worse than the original one.

This incredibly helpful document about the a common glitch from the discord server contains a lot of useful information about it. What's important to note is that it states that It is no longer safe to trade villagers anymore as there is a chance it will bug no matter what how cautious you are as long as it involves adopting villagers (even unintentionally via void). Although it also states that there is a way to clear your void to potentially mitigate glitching others' islands if you recently moved out other villagers in your own.

Here's another thread about villager glitches containing several reports about it.

Here's a post about how to avoid the glitch if you must absolutely must adopt someone (and there are still some loopholes that can result in glitching).

Please refer to the document above, this current thread and the threads I linked if you want information regarding the glitches, at least until I can compile them reliably in a single post. Until then, feel free to send me some anecdotes or helpful information regarding these glitches and I can place them in this post.

Nintendo Released a patch addressing the main issue (ver 1.1.3) . The FIRST VILLAGER KICKED OUT now can be adopted safely.

However, other glitches on subsequently forced out villagers arise if they occupied the same plot as the first one that was kicked out.

One of the possible scenarios is as follows.

For example. I force BLANCHE out with a ROLF Amiibo. Then my FRIEND A comes along and adopts BLANCHE. She will now be safely in Friend A's island with no problems. But then I decide to force out ROLF with someone else's amiibo , and then FRIEND B comes along to adopt ROLF. But instead of him, it will be BLANCHE who will end up in FRIEND B's ISLAND.

Other reported bugs are the second villager's house having the wrong exterior, cannot be entered , or even has a has a sign that says they moved out after a few days and can no longer be found on your island. Note that previously glitched villagers that were supposed to move in are unfortunately lost.

The initial issue has now been fixed but please continue to be careful regarding the adoption of villagers because of the new bugs that were brought about.

OLDER POST

I found out about this glitch from the Animal Crossing Discord and most of the information here is courtesy of a user by the handle of Barnse and I am posting this with their kind permission.

When you adopt a villager that was FORCED OUT by another player via the CAMPGROUNDS(either amiibo or normal random camper), the plot that the villager will occupy can become bugged and will simply state "'s New Home ". You CANNOT place any more new plots if this happens and the actual villager doesn't move in.

For example. My friend has 10 Villagers and one of them is SKYE. They then scan another villager's card (For example Sterling) and convince him to come for several days. On the third day, to accommodate Sterling, they choose to KICK OUT SKYE, putting her in boxes. Afterwards, I, who want her, come along to ADOPT SKYE. My Island's plot where Skye is supposed to move in can then be glitched.

Villagers that decide to move out on their own accord (they come and tell you via exclamation or thought bubble) are SAFE TO ADOPT even if they originally came via amiibo. What determines the glitch is HOW THEY LEAVE. If you're taking part in a villager trade, make sure to ask the seller to show you a SCREENSHOT of the dialogue where villager is thinking of leaving to ensure they weren't just forced out via campsite.

Also, just to clarify. Villagers obtained via amiibo from your campsite straight to your own plots are 100% safe for you, the owner of the amiibo. It's the adoption (sending them off to other players who don't have the amiibo) that you should be careful about.

If you're unlucky enough to have gotten this glitch, there is a chance to fix it by removing the glitched plot. It doesn't work all the time however so use your discretion. Credit again goes to the user mentioned above.

1. Ensure you have 1 bugged plot (Lets say this belonged to the Apollo) and 1 plot open to any resident (If you cannot place a plot you will need to get another villager to move out, this can be done quicker with Time Travel)

2. Go on an ISLAND TOUR (Randomly moving villagers does not fix, tested) and find a villager on the island then invite him to your island (Lets say its Wolfgang). Inviting villagers via campgrounds also seems to work.

3. At this point Wolfgang will now move to your island and occupy the BUGGED plot, however his house will look like APOLLO'S house

4. In addition to this another house will appear in your town this one looking like WOLFGANG'S house. You won't be able to enter the house and upon trying, you will be told that WOLFGANG is out

5. If you were to check your map it would look like this https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/692001316779720714/692081710287814656/image0.jpg

6. Now you need to get WOLFGANG (i.e the newest villager) to move out. This can be done with time travel quicker and do not worry, villagers will not move out without you being told by them themselves. Forcing them out via campgrounds is risk as there's a chance it may cause even more problems.

7. You will need to check that he is going to move out by visiting him, he will either ping you with a "!" and run towards you or will have a bubble above his head and a sad expression.

8. Upon WOLFGANG moving out both houses will disappear leaving 2 empty plots. Again, this does not work 100% but is a known way to fix this if it happens to you.

Please report this bug to Nintendo via their text hotline (425-970-9648 if you live in America). Hopefully with enough reports, they'll fix this (again) and we can all walk away with our dreamies risk free.

Last edited:
I've heard that the newest update actually fixed this issue. Is that not true? If so, that's a huge disappointment. Hope they pick up on it very soon!

I've heard that the newest update actually fixed this issue. Is that not true? If so, that's a huge disappointment. Hope they pick up on it very soon!

Has it? I've only heard of the duplication fix being addressed from that update. Can someone confirm? If it is, I'll just close this topic right away.

It could definitely just be something made up in the rumor mill. Would definitely need confirmation before closing the thread, it's important that people know about the issue just to be safe.

Last edited:
This is very scary, I actually just sold a villager that I forced out with an amiibo to someone yesterday... I really hope they don't get bugged, that would be horrible!! I wish I knew about this sooner ;___;

It could definitely just be something made up in the rumor mill. Would definitely need confirmation before closing the thread, it's important that people know about the issue just to be safe.

The problem with Nintendo is they didn't specify what they fixed in the patch notes. I read the Japanese patch notes and it just says it fixed a serious bug that affects game balance. They don't tell us what that is. People said they can't dupe anymore, so that feels safe to say that it got patched. But I haven't heard confirmation either way about the villager bug.

this is a scary glitch - i’m gonna refrain from adopting/giving away villagers until this gets fixed ;u;

Wow... I'm glad there is a workaround, but I hope Nintendo hotfixes this soon!

i have this glitch currently. i havent updated yet but will in an hour or two. ill update with if this fixes it or not.

Can you actually move villagers out with this glitch? I heard you couldn’t

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also the update didn’t fix it at all

PSA that the workaround is NOT a 100% fix — it did not work for either of my glitched plots, tried multiple times.

If you get this glitch, REPORT IT TO NINTENDO via their text hotline (425-970-9648) — I just did and I’m apparently the first person to have reported it despite 100s of people getting it. Please please please report this so we can get it fixed.

Yup, just happened to me too >___> I'll definitely message nintendo about this.

oh... this is a big yikes. i was planning on buying some from someone today but i really don't want this glitch... ugh, this sucks. i REALLY hope they fix this as fast as they fixed the duping glitch...

Last edited:
Good to know. This is really disappointing to hear, I can only hope they patch this quickly for everyone's sake.

I have the same problem, currently reporting it.

EDIT: they're telling me it's "part of the game." How??

Last edited:
I have the same problem, currently reporting it.

EDIT: they're telling me it's "part of the game." How??

It took me a few tries to get a decent support representative who took it seriously as logged it as a bug. Please try again. I’ve found the text line to be the most helpful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back