Your Second-Hand Buying (and Selling) Experiences

Lol! Right?

I have a question for you, why do all thrift stores smell the same?
In addition to the aging process, most thrift stores sell items as-is. So many of the items have not had a proper wash or any other form of maintenance in years if not decades. Most of the items have likely been sitting untouched in attics or cellars for a long time, and when they arrived at the store, they may have spent a number of additional months locked away in a warehouse or storage area. That the smell isn't more offensive should be a testament to any particular store's dedication to sanitation, even if it's only at a base level.

That's why it's always important to thoroughly wash everything you buy, but most importantly if it's clothes, tableware, cutlery, woodwind and reed instruments, or anything you use on or in your body. This honestly should be the case even if you buy these things brand new, but for obvious reasons the risk factors go up when buying secondhand.

Usually clothes and accessories. Overall, I've had positive experiences. Since I buy more niche items the condition is particularly good, though I've definitely had some outliers. Recently I bought a dress that had more discoloration than described and I could of made a whole cat with all the hair that was on it.

I love visiting thrift stores (or 'charity stores' as they're better known as over here). I mostly go looking through the homewares and toy sections, not much else, usually on the hunt for ornaments that would look nice in my work room, or for collectibles from series I like. I sometimes browse the video games too, but it's usually just sport video games and the odd budget game. Sadly, a lot of them are run purely by volunteers, so often they shut the store randomly and without warning, so I can't always check them out.

I used to visit a really great car boot / flea market, but ever since it moved, it hasn't been as big and the sellers are normally the same ones every week.

For selling, I've only ever sold a few things online, and I haven't had the greatest of experiences. No matter how many times I tell buyers that I'm selling a used item, no matter how many pictures I show of the tiny markings, someone still manages to buy the item and complain that 'it's used', then demand a refund. I've had a few good experiences too, but there are far too many people out there who expect a used item to be brand new.

I’ve bought video games and vinyl records secondhand for quite a while. More recently I’ve gotten into used book buying too. With vinyl records it’s a complete gamble. Some people take good care of the record, while others let it get tons of scratches. Unlike other forms of music storage, vinyl scratches are very noticeable when you actually play them. There’s no way to fix them either. You either return the record or simply put up with it. Thankfully most of the records I’ve gotten were at least in decent condition. The worst has to be a folk album I bought two years. The scratches were so bad that the record player actually skipped an entire song. I was completely dumbfounded.

Until recently my used game experiences were actually consistently good. Nearly all of the games and systems I got worked perfectly. Then I started to experiment with different game stores. I went to a used game store in my hometown and picked up a used copy of Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga. There were a few scratches on the disc, but it didn’t look terrible. Out of 14 attempts, only twice did it boot on my PS2. I returned it a week later and bought a used copy of Final Fantasy 8. The game was so heavily scratched that it froze after the same cutscene 5 times. The store manager felt really bad about it, so let me exchange the game with another copy and let me buy The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess for free. As for Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga, I bought another copy off of eBay. This one works almost every time.

My experience with used books is mixed. A lot of people really let their paperbacks get beat up. Torn pages, overly bent covers, and stains are just a few of things I’ve encountered. Even larger used book stores I love like Powell’s have their fair share of gross used books. The same applies to smaller used book stores. What’s surprising is my best used book find was at Goodwill. I found a copy of A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki in near perfect condition for less than $8. I couldn’t believe such a good book was available for so cheap. I had to get it.

I don't really re-sell anything unless I no longer have space or interest for the item. So usually when I go thrifting, I look for unique cool items which could literally be anything. Don't really look for clothes but do look out for gaming or anime stuff.

I don't really check places like Goodwill though since a lot of resellers go there and go ham. I rather go to swapmeets or small business thrift shops.

Also yeah I usually buy from dedicated vintage/retro stores online, at least most know how to grade and doesn't sell buttonless dresses for $60, I've noticed a lot of real-life thrift/second-hand do just cause it is or just looks old. I mean sure there are handy people but at least cut it in half price if people need to get stuff themselves to fix it.

Or when people jack up trashy chain clothes for $10 when they were originally half that, lol.

with lolita fashion, a lot of stuff is second-hand since its niche. i've never had issues buying second hand and i adore thrifting and antiquing.
Lace Market? ;) Or Yahoo Auctions I guess. I never bought any pieces myself (almost did at one point) but I used to enjoy following the community! Also I love the quote under your username.

Personally, I love buying secondhand. I now have a secondhand store walking distance from my apartment and I try to go when I can to see if there's anything good. The most recent things I bought were a shirt for around $2, a formal skirt for work for $10, and a scale.
Actually, I get almost everything used. Almost all of my furniture is used and I hardly ever buy books new. There are some things that make sense to buy new (and it's definitely less tiring shopping for new clothes) but I feel guilty sometimes not buying used.

I want to start selling somethings on Mercari but I've been nervous to start. I have enough experience buying that I understand the process but I still need to do some more research. I'd also ask a Japanese friend to proofread it for me (I've noticed shops that say they won't sell to foreigners so I'm nervous if my Japanese isn't perfect people might be less likely to buy from me). I have a set of manga I bought on there a few years ago and some clothing from nicer brands that are in good condition. I guess I am most worried about shipping it properly.

Lace Market? ;) Or Yahoo Auctions I guess. I never bought any pieces myself (almost did at one point) but I used to enjoy following the community!

Personally, I love buying secondhand. I now have a secondhand store walking distance from my apartment and I try to go when I can to see if there's anything good. The most recent things I bought were a shirt for around $2, a formal skirt for work for $10, and a scale.
Actually, I get almost everything used. Almost all of my furniture is used and I hardly ever buy books new. There are some things that make sense to buy new (and it's definitely less tiring shopping for new clothes) but I feel guilty sometimes not buying used.
Yeah the Lolita community used to be pretty big here as well back in the days so it's definitely interesting. or just J-fashion in general !

Yeah I've a lots of them in my city/town, I mostly use them for used DVDs and books, yeah. If I want clothes I either go to those dedicated or just plain vintage stores since as I posted above most regular second hand jack up prices for broken stuff cause second-hand is "trendy" or yeah not my style at all. If it's undies/bra-tops/jeans/socks etc. I defo buy new, most used jeans here are ugly/too small/broke so I wouldn't want to get that.

Lace Market? ;) Or Yahoo Auctions I guess. I never bought any pieces myself (almost did at one point) but I used to enjoy following the community! Also I love the quote under your username.
yep, my 2nd home is lace market haha <3 i havent bought from overseas auctions yet, they're kind of daunting to me, but someday i will

I normally don't have too much luck at thrift stores but last weekend I managed to get a pair of fall booties that I've been looking for for years. I had a pair that I adored but stupid me wore them in the slush so the salt ruined them. Been looking for that exact specific style since and finally found a pair! I was so excited. A tiny scuffing on the toe but they're black so you can't notice unless you study them close up. They felt comfy but the real test will be to walk in them and see. They were $11.

Back