8/10: 6PM, 11PM
7/10: 12AM, 2AM, 5AM, 9AM, 2PM, 10PM
6/10: 10AM
5/10: 6AM, 1PM, 7PM, 8PM
4/10: 9PM
3/10: 1AM, 4AM, 11AM
2/10: 3PM
1/10: 3AM

I like the music for the most part; I wouldn't be able to play during 3AM because I find it too unsettling, but I'm never awake then anyway, so I don't mind if the night tracks are bad. 3PM was the biggest disappointment for me; it was one of my favourite times in every other game but it sounds so boring in NH. I really like a lot of the other ones though, and I'm really glad they went back to sounding like the older games instead of going with NL's more downbeat soundtrack.

Apparently, I like the earlier morning and late at night tracks best. I think my favorites are 5pm and 1am. It looks like most people really like the music though. Or at least the people actually doing the survey seem to like the music pretty well.

The only track I really don't enjoy is 3AM, mostly because it's such a jarring opposite of the serene and lovely 2AM music. Most of the night tracks are actually pretty great in my opinion, which is fortunate because I work night shift and get to enjoy the songs when I get a break at work to play. I definitely enjoy the evening and night songs way more than the daytime ones!

Haha glad you enjoyed it, it was fun to write! I've never like studied it in depth or anything - most of what I know about music theory is just high school band and YouTube videos. I notice stuff going on in music but I usually don't have the proper words for it lol.

And yeah they do sound more similar to each other in NH! A lot of people seem to refer to that as the tracks blending into each other and not sounding distinct. I think of NL's and how the hourly tracks seemed to span multiple genres or styles even with the same instruments. Here it sounds more like songs on an album - they all sound more or less similar in genre/style.

NL definitely had the biggest variety in genres that's for sure. In NH the biggest difference I can think of is like 5am and 6am get very acoustic while all the rest are electronic. I'm sure I've overlooked some tracks, but that's just an example. Now, that's not to say I think the NH music is bad by any means...because I don't think that at all! I do wonder why they opted to use the NH theme in basically every track though...

New Horizons’ music is my least favorite in the series, but there are a few tracks that manage to still stand out.

I guess I’ll state my opinion on all of them... (Warning: I’m a harsh critic but I still tend to sugarcoat things out of habit... sometimes. Take what you want from that info I guess.)

5 AM- Simple yet magical, almost otherworldly in a sense... calm, peaceful... lonely. It does sound lonely to me, but also warm, as if your friends are far away, yet the memories are held close. This is my favorite, mainly because it evokes these personal emotions in me. I find that a piece of music that can tell a story or emotion without words is special.

6 AM- Meh. I’m not exactly a fan of the acoustic guitar as an instrument myself, I like it at times, but not... generally. This song feels sleepy and there isn’t much energy. Fitting for 6 AM I guess.

7 AM- This is when the fun starts. It sounds like the modest start of what ends up being a big adventure. Still a little slow, but upbeat. Could get quite nostalgic eventually... if only I was actually up at 7 AM.

8 AM- I find it fun and uplifting, even though it sounds like it could be on one of those annoying commercials. I like how the keyboard/synth gets funky, and I even like how the acoustic guitar sounds. It sounds like a nice, carefree day. Sometimes, a fun time is all music needs to be.

9 AM- A personal favorite. Lazy and laid-back, yet it feels like the epitome of island/relaxation music, which is the theme of this game. I can also see it being background music in a slice-of-life anime. It does get jazzy/funky at times, which I really like as well. I find that the acoustic guitar, which I usually don’t like, actually compliments this piece! Strange.

10 AM- This one is weird. It starts off kinda weak, but then progresses and gets better and better, and then as soon as it gets wonderful, it loops and becomes weak again? Eh. I like the trumpets and synth I guess.

11 AM- It doesn’t exactly feel like 11 AM, I’d say 8 AM and this track might need to switch... idk. It’s lazy and such, doesn’t really do much for me. The synth is a nice touch. I do notice the synth sounds the same in every track. In fact, all the instruments sound the same in every track... I think I like New Leaf’s soundtrack because the instruments had more variety.

12 PM- It gives off a similar feel to 9 AM to me, and I have similar things to say about it. Very relaxing and chill. I could totally see myself sitting on the beach listening to this, with a tropical drink, relaxing... I really love the shakers/maracas as instruments. They might be my favorite percussion sounds.

1 PM- Eh. Meh. Sounds like someone deleted a chunk of the instruments. Where’s the liveliness? Where’s the uniqueness?

2 PM- I’m a little biased towards actually liking this more than... most people. It reminds me of music that would play in early 2000’s cartoons and therefore feels nostalgic I guess. But I do admit the synth is a little irritating, but I wouldn’t have thought that if someone didn’t bring it up.

3 PM- Mostly neutral to this one. I like the trumpets I guess. I really can’t think of anything to say. I don’t have strong feelings about it.

4 PM- This one is nice, I can feel a bit of “it’s getting late, but not quite. The sun is still up and we still have time” sort of vibe. But things are slowing down ever so slightly. I feel this theme captures it. However, I’m not exactly too big on the... sound of it? Idk.

5 PM- The banger. I can see myself on the top deck cruise ship as the sun is dipping into the ocean, the wind blowing into my face, I feel I’m on top of the world by the poolside. Anyway... this song is just a flippin’ good time.

6 PM- I always personally hated when 5 PM ended and I had to hear this... it just sounds so bland in comparison. I guess it’s relaxing and chill, I get what they were going for, but I find it quite repetitive and grating... I also consider this the point of the day when the music gets bad. Yep, there is a point, and this is it, IMO.

7 PM- The second-best one out of the Night-Time Bad Music Bunch I guess. It makes me think of a family who had a barbecue in their backyard all day, and when night set in, they’re still having fun and talking and partying, only they’re getting a little bit sleepy now and reminiscing about good times.

8 PM- Uh. I don’t like it. I hear it too much, it’s repetitive, it’s bland... it doesn’t make me think of night time on an island... (okay, it kind of does. But not exactly a fun island. Maybe a bland island but...)

9 PM- The synth is funky but the sounds are so sparse. It sounds like some kid toying around with the functions on his keyboard... needless to say, I don’t like it.

10 PM- It sounds okay. Just okay. But hearing it for an hour straight like I sometimes do? That just drives me absolutely nuts. Especially the synth that’s just loud and goes do do do doooooooooo... (you know the part I mean...)

11 PM- This literally sounds like the island has been abandoned and there is NO more life on it, at all, literally.

12 AM- I guess it sounds cozy. But the problem is, the melody is WAY too short. It loops and loops and loops and gets so irritating...

1 AM- It’s more interesting than the others, I have to say. But that doesn’t mean it’s... good. It’s still grating (especially when repeated.)

2 AM- I guess this is the best night time one. It kind of makes me think of a lonely warmth, just like the 5 AM. Sadly, and this is the fatal flaw, but it’s unfortunately repetitive. Otherwise, it’s quite beautiful, comforting, a twinge of melancholy.

3 AM- I actually love it. I’m not even being sarcastic... I do. I find this music hilarious. Iconic. Meme-worthy. It’s not even that bad. It’s a great, humorous composition. It really caught me off-guard when I first heard it, but I really like it now.

4 AM- It really does give off that “You stayed up for 17 hours straight” vibe, it’s quiet and relaxing. Not as bad as the other night ones... well, could be because it’s practically morning.

Love 5am. 3am is the worst thing I've heard. I loved the music in New leaf. The hourly music in New Horizons is just ok. I don't know if I just haven't had a lot of rainy days or I don't really pay attention that much lol but I don't notice a difference in the rainy day versions. In New Leaf, the tracks were twinkly and I wish they did it here too.

I think the hourly music is okay, tbh I never really paid attention to most of the music in New Leaf so I wouldn't be able to compare them. In fact the only track I remember from New Leaf is 7 pm. That track was terrifying to me but I loved it at the same time, it's so nostalgic. (plz no bulli, I haven't played NL in years)

Background music in any chill game usually doesn't stand out to me, I'm too busy doing stuff like terraforming or talking to my villagers to notice the music too often. It's kinda like white noise, I can hear it and I know it's there in the background but I don't really pay attention to it.

The 3 am music definitely stood out to me the most, it really freaked me out the first time I heard it lmao
I kept trying to figure out what that weird.. uh, quacking? noise was until I realized it was the background music. I don't think I'll be playing at 3 am again.

My favorite tracks are 8 am and 12 pm I think! 8 am is so catchy, I love that one.

I like all of them but the 3 am music I can't stand it and honestly, it kinda sounds like it's from Zelda wind waker if you think about it :ROFLMAO:

New Horizons’ music is my least favorite in the series, but there are a few tracks that manage to still stand out.

I guess I’ll state my opinion on all of them... (Warning: I’m a harsh critic but I still tend to sugarcoat things out of habit... sometimes. Take what you want from that info I guess.)

5 AM- Simple yet magical, almost otherworldly in a sense... calm, peaceful... lonely. It does sound lonely to me, but also warm, as if your friends are far away, yet the memories are held close. This is my favorite, mainly because it evokes these personal emotions in me. I find that a piece of music that can tell a story or emotion without words is special.

6 AM- Meh. I’m not exactly a fan of the acoustic guitar as an instrument myself, I like it at times, but not... generally. This song feels sleepy and there isn’t much energy. Fitting for 6 AM I guess.

7 AM- This is when the fun starts. It sounds like the modest start of what ends up being a big adventure. Still a little slow, but upbeat. Could get quite nostalgic eventually... if only I was actually up at 7 AM.

8 AM- I find it fun and uplifting, even though it sounds like it could be on one of those annoying commercials. I like how the keyboard/synth gets funky, and I even like how the acoustic guitar sounds. It sounds like a nice, carefree day. Sometimes, a fun time is all music needs to be.

9 AM- A personal favorite. Lazy and laid-back, yet it feels like the epitome of island/relaxation music, which is the theme of this game. I can also see it being background music in a slice-of-life anime. It does get jazzy/funky at times, which I really like as well. I find that the acoustic guitar, which I usually don’t like, actually compliments this piece! Strange.

10 AM- This one is weird. It starts off kinda weak, but then progresses and gets better and better, and then as soon as it gets wonderful, it loops and becomes weak again? Eh. I like the trumpets and synth I guess.

11 AM- It doesn’t exactly feel like 11 AM, I’d say 8 AM and this track might need to switch... idk. It’s lazy and such, doesn’t really do much for me. The synth is a nice touch. I do notice the synth sounds the same in every track. In fact, all the instruments sound the same in every track... I think I like New Leaf’s soundtrack because the instruments had more variety.

12 PM- It gives off a similar feel to 9 AM to me, and I have similar things to say about it. Very relaxing and chill. I could totally see myself sitting on the beach listening to this, with a tropical drink, relaxing... I really love the shakers/maracas as instruments. They might be my favorite percussion sounds.

1 PM- Eh. Meh. Sounds like someone deleted a chunk of the instruments. Where’s the liveliness? Where’s the uniqueness?

2 PM- I’m a little biased towards actually liking this more than... most people. It reminds me of music that would play in early 2000’s cartoons and therefore feels nostalgic I guess. But I do admit the synth is a little irritating, but I wouldn’t have thought that if someone didn’t bring it up.

3 PM- Mostly neutral to this one. I like the trumpets I guess. I really can’t think of anything to say. I don’t have strong feelings about it.

4 PM- This one is nice, I can feel a bit of “it’s getting late, but not quite. The sun is still up and we still have time” sort of vibe. But things are slowing down ever so slightly. I feel this theme captures it. However, I’m not exactly too big on the... sound of it? Idk.

5 PM- The banger. I can see myself on the top deck cruise ship as the sun is dipping into the ocean, the wind blowing into my face, I feel I’m on top of the world by the poolside. Anyway... this song is just a flippin’ good time.

6 PM- I always personally hated when 5 PM ended and I had to hear this... it just sounds so bland in comparison. I guess it’s relaxing and chill, I get what they were going for, but I find it quite repetitive and grating... I also consider this the point of the day when the music gets bad. Yep, there is a point, and this is it, IMO.

7 PM- The second-best one out of the Night-Time Bad Music Bunch I guess. It makes me think of a family who had a barbecue in their backyard all day, and when night set in, they’re still having fun and talking and partying, only they’re getting a little bit sleepy now and reminiscing about good times.

8 PM- Uh. I don’t like it. I hear it too much, it’s repetitive, it’s bland... it doesn’t make me think of night time on an island... (okay, it kind of does. But not exactly a fun island. Maybe a bland island but...)

9 PM- The synth is funky but the sounds are so sparse. It sounds like some kid toying around with the functions on his keyboard... needless to say, I don’t like it.

10 PM- It sounds okay. Just okay. But hearing it for an hour straight like I sometimes do? That just drives me absolutely nuts. Especially the synth that’s just loud and goes do do do doooooooooo... (you know the part I mean...)

11 PM- This literally sounds like the island has been abandoned and there is NO more life on it, at all, literally.

12 AM- I guess it sounds cozy. But the problem is, the melody is WAY too short. It loops and loops and loops and gets so irritating...

1 AM- It’s more interesting than the others, I have to say. But that doesn’t mean it’s... good. It’s still grating (especially when repeated.)

2 AM- I guess this is the best night time one. It kind of makes me think of a lonely warmth, just like the 5 AM. Sadly, and this is the fatal flaw, but it’s unfortunately repetitive. Otherwise, it’s quite beautiful, comforting, a twinge of melancholy.

3 AM- I actually love it. I’m not even being sarcastic... I do. I find this music hilarious. Iconic. Meme-worthy. It’s not even that bad. It’s a great, humorous composition. It really caught me off-guard when I first heard it, but I really like it now.

4 AM- It really does give off that “You stayed up for 17 hours straight” vibe, it’s quiet and relaxing. Not as bad as the other night ones... well, could be because it’s practically morning.

Okay it's been a few days, but I had wanted to comment on your great post because this commentary was so good. These are my thoughts on some of your comments:

5am- What a perfect description you gave it.

8am (and also 5pm)- For some reason I just can't get super into these very upbeat tracks in an Animal Crossing game. I like them on their own, but as hourly music not so much. You said it sounds carefree, but to me I get the feeling of needing to do things quickly. A little anxiety inducing.

10am- I never knew what it was about this, but you nailed it. It really does start to get great...then starts over! I wish we had more tracks with horns.

11am- You're right. Switch them!

1pm- I see what you mean, but I think the track sounds curious. Like you're looking around your island and suddenly you discover something!..and back to curiosity...

3pm- I love this one. Horns just hit me different.

6pm- Couldn't agree more. I really enjoyed it the first time I heard it because it brought me back to the WW/CF hourly tracks...but then after hearing it so much I realized how short and repetitive it actually was. However, I love the contrast between this and 5pm, I love playing at 5:30 to 6:30 because it really helps me feel like the day is coming to an end.

11pm- I actually like this one. It's chill and gives me the curiosity vibes again...but a nighttime version.

Overall though, I agree the night time pieces are lacking. They all sound a bit bland, which is sad because I feel like these hours are when people play most.

Anyways, thanks that interesting read!

Also I edited the first post with updated stats on all the tracks!

Here's a list I put together a month ago
My opinion is more or less the same.

--

From best to worst.

My opinion on the inbetween stuff may change depending on my mood, so nothing is set in stone.

The first is definitely the best
The last is definitely the worst.

Absolutely Amazing

12PM - I nominate for best song in the entire game

Good

10AM
8AM
5PM
4PM
7AM
9AM

Okay

2AM
11AM
7PM
12AM

Meh

5AM
6AM
3PM
8PM
9PM
10PM
11PM
1PM
1AM

MY EARS!!! MY EARS!!!!!!!

2PM
6PM
4AM
3AM - Worst song in the entire game

AC Population Growing's 4 AM, "Pondering" and "To The Edge" walked so 3 AM could run. I love that track and legit do not get the dislike for it. I do totally agree with the near unanimous appreciation for 5 AM though. It's so soft and luminous and just right for those misty, pearly dawns.

I enjoy a few tracks but the music doesn’t feel like animal crossing to me. Listening to the old sound tracks and comparing the new there’s just not any songs I would listen to relax. Like listen to these and compare them to the NH soundtrack, they don’t sound like they’re from the same series

My opinions have changed a bit since I last posted, honestly I'm liking the soundtrack even less now, but here goes:

Note that these are my opinions and I'm not really too much of a fan of it, so if you like it and may get offended then it's best not to read. It's also pretty long so maybe no one cares anyway but hey why not lol

9/10
12PM – a great, upbeat song with lots of substance and nice to listen to. Very fitting for the hour! I love this one.
12AM – another good one which I quite like, I think I like this one a lot just because it sounds like 1AM from ACWW. The synth which plays the motif is a bit annoying but otherwise I really like it.
6PM – dropped from one of my favourites because the guitar is insanely repetitive. One of the only tracks to have accordion, which is what I really like about 6PM. Gives me so much nostalgia. I just wish the guitar was toned down a bit, the strums are too aggressive (most of the soundtrack seems quite grating because of this).
7PM – a really nice, mellow song for the evening. Reminds me of the end of NL's 7PM before it looped. The drums sound a bit groggy? I guess...I'm not a fan of the drum kit used. It doesn't sound clean.

8/10
5AM – I like this one a lot because it's so perfect but it's literally just the main theme over and over and over for an hour. I know NL's was like this too and I didn't like NL's 5AM for that reason. But it's still so serene and peaceful so it's still high up for me.
7AM – I originally liked this one a lot because it sounds so fun and upbeat, but when I found out it was 7AM I was kind of confused. It sounds a little too upbeat for me because usually I'm half asleep, and the previous soundtracks were always a mix of drowsy but playful. This one sounds like a marching band with the percussion which is way too early.
4PM – a very happy, cheerful tune for the evening. I'd say it's much better than NL, and maybe even GC, but WW's was better. The song does get a bit boring in some parts but at least it's not so repetitive. The ukelele chords are really nice here.
10PM – for some reason I really like this one, I'm not sure why but I think it's quite catchy yet it still feels quite laid back and represent the feeling of boredom quite well, which is fitting since both shops are closed. Bass could've been smoother but it's not as bad as 11PM's.

7/10
9AM – Cool. I like the second bit. First bit reminds me of the direct from ages ago which is why I like it. Brings me memories of the hype.
11AM – I like this one because it's so chill and reminds me of some of the past games with nice happy songs like NL's 8AM. I just feel like this is incredibly out of place and could have even been swapped with 8PM or something...
10AM – very happy and cheerful. I like this one. I'm not a fan of trumpets in general though but I do like the call and response in this one.

6/10
2AM – it's nice...but it's so repetitive. The guitar literally just plays 4 notes like 6PM aside from a different chord like twice. And the piano gets repetitive too.
3PM – Not much to this one. I like the electric piano that plays occasionally but otherwise it's not too good, not too bad.

5/10
5PM – this one's OK. I preferred the other 5PM themes but this one is quite catchy. But I'm not really into tunes like these so I wouldn't really listen to this outside of AC.

4/10
8PM – generic. Too upbeat after 7PM. After 3 games with nice 8PM themes, I'm disappointed. And the guitar sounds like 1PM sometimes? The bongos don't make up for this one.

3/10
4AM – originally hated this one because I thought it was incredibly boring but it's not terrible, but it is pretty empty. The guitar strums are too aggressive yet again and the random synth notes are just weird. I like the vibraphone that occasionally comes in though.

2/10
9PM – out of all the other nice songs on WW they had to remix the 9PM one, which wasn't that interesting to begin with. The guitar sounds horrible here and it's just so boring. The bass is nice though.
6AM – boring guitar throughout the whole thing which seems way too stretched out. The part with the synth just sounds like the song wants to be longer but isn't doing a good job at it. Boring.

1/10
8AM – unpopular opinion but I hate this one. Way too upbeat for the time, and it's just two guitar chords over and over. And the bass bit I don't really like either. It sounds bland to me and just not interesting at all.
1AM – trumpet and synth at 1AM? Not a fan at all. And then a heavy bass comes in. It's way too jazzy for my taste and I'm not really a fan of jazz.

0/10
3AM – worst song in the game. Why are you punishing me for staying up late. I have sleep issues and the old games used to lull me to sleep and I loved the game for it (excluding GC, wasn't a fan of those night tracks either). Now if I want to play with sound on at 3AM I have to hear horrible clown noises and a loud bass. I hate this song so much and leaves me in bad taste.
11PM – synth is incredibly annoying and gets on my nerves. Ukelele sounds bland. Bass is too heavy. It sounds like most of the tracks weren't refined enough because hearing the strums makes me cringe a bit.
1PM – the bass is plucked SO aggressively at the start that I can't stand it. I can't play at this time for that reason. And it's just so empty, where's the fun in this one?
2PM – the synth gives me a headache. I would've liked it so much more had the synth not been so prominent. Maybe a flute would've been nicer. But the song in general annoys me.

Last edited:
Back