• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Your opinion on game related town names

My towns name is Traverse after Traverse Town in Kingdom Hearts. My flag is a keyblade and my town tune is Dearly Beloved (the song that plays at the play menu). I even have Axel the elephant so I'm pretty happy with my town haha.

I think its cool, because then you het a glance into what else they like. Mines Pallet, which is from Pok?mon.

I think it's awesome... What if someone named their town new leaf.... Gameception~

I think it's fine as long as they are happy with it. I personally wouldn't do that, but that's only because I like my towns to be original. I would probably regret naming it after a town that already exists, but that's just me!
My towns have all been named after birds for some reason (I'm not even a bird fanatic). My WW town was Toucan, my CF one was either Flamingo or Pigeon (can't remember) and my NL one is Pelican. It's just been a sort of long running tradition for me!

I don't think any game related town names are anything original but I have no problem with them as mine is one too. I wanted to name my town as something else from the same game, but it couldn't fit. :b But yeah, as long as the player is happy, I don't care if their town name is Pallet, Hyrule, Greenhill or anything else. :v

It's not something I would do, personally, and it can get annoying seeing so many with the same name - for example, there's an awful lot of Hyrules - but as long as it makes you happy, then go for it.

I don't mind them, even when they're overdone. My town is named Twelve after District 12 in the Hunger Games and I love it that way. Original names have a special quality to them but I couldn't (and still can't) think of one I'd prefer to Twelve. c:

I think game-based names are fine as long as they didn't overdo it(like Hyrule). I personally named my towns based on games too(1st town is from Fire Emblem Awakening and 2nd town is from SMTIV).

I'm not a huge gamer outside ACNL. I'm familiar with them, but I don't really play any of them much anymore. But the thing about game-related names is that, for the most part, that's not where they're from originally. They're usually lifted out of literature or pop-culture of history, unless they're entirely fabricated.

Take Albion: historically, it's the oldest name we have for Britain. Predates the Britons and encompasses a wild time in the history of the place. It's also used in H. P. Lovecraft's writings about the Cthulhu/elder gods alternate history of the world. I see this kind of thing all the time. So when I see these names, I don't think "Oh, that's Pokemon." I think "Oh, pre-Teutonic Briton and/or elder gods. Nice."

(Then again, I named one of my towns after a Gallifreyan spaceship that looks like a blue police box, so....)

Back