Wow, Nintendo's multiplayer is really awful

GetSchwifty

Devilish Hamster
Bells
Switch
4186-4304-9324
Feedback
0% (0) +
I just tried to play online with another user from this forum and in doing so I found out that because I'm NAT Type D, I can only play with NAT Type A users.
Granted, my internet connection isn't the best since changing flats but my download speed is at least 40 mb/sec which means I can play online on my PC just fine (and here in Germany I'm paying over 35€ for something like that because we live in the middle ages when it comes to internet connection).

I'm pretty bumped because I just rediscovered my love for Animal Crossing (even bought New Leaf), got a subscription and now I find out that I can't really play online - not just AC but no Nintendo games whatsoever (tried MK8, that also didn't work).

This is just annoying beyond belief.

I agree, It's super annoying and something I've had to help people out with before.
The following article has steps you can take to change your NAT type to type A. It's a little bit complicated, but if you're able to do it, it might solve your problem.

Last edited:
I agree, It's super annoying and something I've had to help people out with through before.
The following article has steps you can take to change your NAT type to type A. It's a little bit complicated, but if you're able to do it, it might solve your problem.

So there is hope?
I don't get it ... isn't Nat Type based on my "poor" internet connection?

So there is hope?
I don't get it ... isn't Nat Type based on my "poor" internet connection?
So I only barely get it, but my understanding is that your NAT type is determined by a combination of your ISP and network configuration. And you can change your NAT type through a process called "port forwarding"

So I only barely get it, but my understanding is that your NAT type is determined by a combination of your ISP and network configuration. And you can change your NAT type through a process called "port forwarding"

That's actually very interesting.
I'll have a look at it. It sounds really complicated tho and I'm really bad when it comes to stuff like that ^^"

That's actually very interesting.
I'll have a look at it. It sounds really complicated tho and I'm really bad when it comes to stuff like that ^^"
I haven't had to do it myself, but I know it's helped others in the past. Though to be honest it is frustrating to have to struggle with this issue at all, and Nintendo's support is lacking here.

I haven't had to do it myself, but I know it's helped others in the past. Though to be honest it is frustrating to have to struggle with this issue at all, and Nintendo's support is lacking here.
Lacking is rather a nice way to put it :-D haha
Let's say: It's almost criminal that they charge on a monthly basis for a service that doesn't cost them anything. Yeah, Playstation (as an example) is more expensive but they at least can blame it on their server costs and on support staff they need to handle misuse of their communication services.

Back