• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Would you buy a Wii U for Animal Crossing?

I had a wii u and returned it. The primary reasons, specific to the wii u, were software related. Even tho you can create different user profiles, the game files are not user specific. Unless the game specifically has built in multiple saves, youre sol. For a unix based system, the browser and built in software is surprisingly unstable. The final primary reason is that Nintendo customer service is atrocious in my experiences with the 3DS and Wii U.

Separately, the Wii U is a dead system. Nintendo just hasnt realized it yet. While they could revive the system, I believe it is too late. They had their chance and blew it. I believe it would be erroneous to compare the rough start of the 3DS to the Wii U, as some have done. The sales of the Wii U are horrible, and I cant stress that enough, it is really bad. Anyone considering buying the system should take into account the possibility that it may be abandoned by Nintendo.

Last edited:
Well it won't be abandoned, because Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. U are nearly ready to be released as well as the new Donkey Kong game. Also, if they abandon the console, they would have to offer a new system to their market. They do not have such a solution as of right now.

Even if I had a WiiU (which I don't) I'm not sure I would even buy AC for it since I didn't enjoy CF (I played for 1h and never again).

there is a new zelda game that is coming out for the wii u that isn't a remake. it's suppose to be out by next year.

I heard 2015. And then even if it's earlier than that, it's still ages away from when the Wii U was launched. IMO it should've been there at launch like Twilight Princess was with the Wii.

I too have heard that the console is dead in the water but then again, like I mentioned before, Nintendo have been through this before and survived.

Last edited:
If I ever had extra money to spend on a WiiU I would consider it.
But thats not likely to happen for the time being lol

I'll buy it in a Heartbeat. As long as it's an upgrade to New Leaf or a continuation over the Downgrade that was City Folk, I'll be thrilled. I enjoyed the Gamecube game tons afterall.

Probably... when the price goes way down to below $200. The only game that interests me somewhat is the Zelda game.. and if this Wii U game were like the similarities between Wild World and City Folk, with almost no changes then I'd pass. There'd have to be alot of changes. Plus my Wii still works fine even though I don't really play it anymore, and I'm more interested in my PS3 and 3DS games at the moment.
So yeah, probably not, but there'd be a chance depending on stuff. I really prefer handheld games for when I'm on the go and without internet anyways.

Last edited:
Yes, I would love that Animal Crossing Plaza! I'm actually getting a Wii U this year. I know It sounds like a rip-off but it's not. I've played it at my friend's house....SO COOL! o_O

I'll buy it in a Heartbeat. As long as it's an upgrade to New Leaf or a continuation over the Downgrade that was City Folk, I'll be thrilled. I enjoyed the Gamecube game tons afterall.

Same here. If the new game is just a big screen version of new leaf, much like how city folk was of wild world, I'll pass.

I'm pretty sure we will have infos on Animal Crossing U next year. At E3 the latest.

Last edited:
I would be excited to hear about a new animal crossing but I would be very suprised to hear of one so soon after New Leaf's release. I want a Wii U just to experience the new franchise games, and will probably get one, but I dont expect to like it all that much. It was the same way with the Wii for me, I got it because I wanted to experience the games but I really dont think any of them were great. The zeldas, mario kart, ssbros, city folk etc. were subpar. I think the whole motion control thing was a gimmick and didnt really work well for the games. I would rather have used regular button controls in ALL of them. Swinging links sword sounded cool, but it worked like crap. Same for the rest of them i.m.o. and it seems like the Wii U hasnt improved on that much. It seems to me like nintendo is relying more on the loyalty to their franchises to sell the consoles and not on their usual creativity/ingenuity what have you. The 3ds is the first nintendo console Ive really liked in a long time. I do think the 3d works well, and its a big shift from their last handheld. I really dont think the Wii U offers enough over the Wii to justify its even being made into a console. I think they should have waited and come up with something better. But thats just me ranting, and its off the topic of the thread anyway...

I would not. I love Animal Crossing on portable handheld devices as it is so much more convenient to bring along with you.

Thinking like Nintendo, which is to squeeze out as much money from titles as possible, I would imagine that they would make a version for handheld devices. I'd think that maybe it would be higher quality than New Leaf but not nearly as nice if it was on the Wii U.

I'm pretty sure some of those that are saying No right now would change their mind as soon as pics and details are known of Animal Crossing U. They would get caught up in the hype :D

My nieces recently got a Wii U. The graphics on the Animal Crossing Plaza are really nice. I agree that Animal Crossing is better suited towards a handheld console, but I would still buy it since I've bought every American release. Heck, I know a lot of people have bought a 3DS just for New Leaf. The Wii U does have a 3DS-like controller, so it technically could be a handheld game. You just wouldn't be able to leave your house or wherever you leave your console.

However judging so far by playing only Nintendoland and Just Dance 2014, I'd say it's nice but not worth the $300. Then again, Black Friday is coming soon for those who are thinking of buying one. Hopefully more good games will come out and the price will go down.

Last edited:
I don't have a wii u, honestly don't see many games that appeal to me just yet. If anything I'd get it for just super smash bros, but if they have an animal crossing game that proves to be phenomenally amazing, I'd most likely get it for that too. It would probably have to have features that surpass New Leaf's current features, with improvements and possibly even more customization, the choice to have villagers where you want them, etc. I'd love it if there was one next year.

Back in the day, I had to share an N64 with my best friend; and I did so I could play Animal Crossing. Years back I got a DS when they were new-ish so I could play Animal Crossing. My DS died, and I didn't think much of it until New Leaf came out.. and I bought a 3DS just so I could play it. I could most certainly see myself buying a different console to keep my AC addiction going. Hopefully it's off in the future a little ways, though.

I don't find the Wii U to be expensive.... If people can buy the new ipod touch or ipad every year... There should be no complaints whatsoever. The Ps4 and Xbox One are far more expensive than when the Wii U came out at launch. The Wii U is also the same price as laptops that are cheaper than a MacBook Pro. It's understandable if it's too much for people who don't have a job or on a tight budget.. Overall the price isn't that bad.

EDIT: I ended up getting the Wii U because I wanted the New Super Mario Bros. U game.

Last edited:
At 299$ with two games (New Super Mario Bros. U + Luigi U) or with The Legend of Zelda : The Wind Waker + Zelda Historia, it's not that expensive for what you will get. Moreover, Nintendo halved the price of Nintendoland.

Last edited:
Back