Would you be friends with someone who has a "dangerous" mental disorder?

I have depression and traits of bpd e.g. self harm/self hatred etc but I'd never hurt anyone other than myself, but when people find out I'm treated like a leper.

I try to treat everyone the same regardless, unless they're a complete douche, but sadly most people aren't like like that and judge others without getting to know them first.

Yeah because mental illness doesn't make someone dangerous

I realize it's not what you meant btw that's just my reasoning

Not to mention I have a """""dangerous""""" mental illness myself so that'd be hypocritical lol

I agree with this and feel the same way. I have one of the "dangerous" mental illnesses listed here, so it'd be hypocritical for me to not friend/love someone with a "dangerous" mental illness.

---

I don't think it's fair to assume someone is dangerous just because they have a mental illness. Just because there have been people who've had the listed mental illnesses who have committed crimes doesn't mean the rest of us are like this. I feel like this is a problem with media. Someone does something and because they have(mental illness)/are a part of something (such as religion), media assumes all the rest of the people that have/are part of that thing are the same way. It's unfair.

Judge the person solely on who they are. Don't judge them based on their mental illnesses.

Last edited:
it wouldn't be fair to judge something like that right off the bat before even getting to know the person. so I would give it a chance, but I'm already picky as hell with friends and not even interested in dating.

Definitely, especially since I deal with some pretty intense mental health issues myself (delusions and mood swings and obsessions and whatnot)

Last edited:
i'm friends with a lot of people with those, but i've also had bad experiences with a lot, honestly i really don't care as long as they don't use their disorders as a get out of jail free card

Yes, I could be good friends with someone with some of these disorders, but it is really tough to get through manic episodes with someone. I've known several people with these issues and they can be really hard to handle. For example having no other option but to get a ride from someone who is having a manic episode while driving and feeling the whole time that he is going to veer off the road to kill you both, not a great situation to be in. Or being forced to talk to someone so they don't kill themselves or hurt others... not the business.

So as long as it was under control I would have no problem with it. I don't like any of my disorders are dangerous to anybody besides myself because I have depression, anxiety and ADHD, I mean I could potentially kill someone with my ADHD by accident, like when I left a knife in the couch... but I don't think it's classified as a dangerous disorder.

I have friends that have these mental illnesses and they're not dangerous at all. Mental illnesses shouldn't define a person, but the media sadly has given the reputation that all people with mental illness are toxic and it's revolting.

Last edited:
I mean if they're threatening to kill me, no.

But I am friends with people who happen to have a mental disorder.

I'm bipolar and have other friends with bipolar and borderline. We actually get along very well! So yes I would stay friends with them

Honestly, I think it depends on how well that person and I connect. I wouldn’t dismiss somebody for something out of their control. I think dangerous is being used her for a lack of a better term. I don’t think a disorder can cause someone to be dangerous.

I was friends with and later dated someone with a severe personality disorder. It was a very damaging experience. In hindsight it had less to do with their condition and more just the way they treated me. They never communicated their needs until it was over. In their own words I was an “in between person,” someone to keep them busy until they found someone else. Had I known how they really thought of me earlier I could’ve avoided the trauma.

With over a year to heal I think I can be friends or date someone with that type of condition again. I would just try to establish boundaries and be careful in order to prevent history from repeating itself.

Last edited:
It would depend on the person and how they handle their illness. I have mental illnesses myself, like depression and anxiety, plus I regularly deal with family members who have more extreme mental illnesses like the ones mentioned in the OP. Add to that the fact that I am an introvert by nature, and I can get very overwhelmed by people in general.

If the other person is being too demanding of me, taking up too much of my time and energy, or if I feel like I am not getting any benefit from the relationship whatsoever (which could simply be understanding or companionship), then I would have to end the relationship for my own mental wellbeing. That could happen regardless of whether they have a severe mental illness or not, so I wouldn't write someone off before I got to know them.

It's definitely not easy. I was friends with someone who I suspect had/has some serious mental issues. He believed in the whole tulpa thing; had his own tulpas and would "talk" as them. I have a hard enough time being friends with "neurotypicals" (in other words, the average person). He was always pretty honest with me so I had to be honest with him, and it crushed him. I don't know why he decided to tell me about his tulpa, we weren't that close. Anyway I haven't heard from him in quite a while, he quit facebook. Hope he is doin' alright, I could email him but that would be opening a can of worms that I'm not sure I wanna use

It wouldn't put me off, but it does depend on how that person manages their mental health. I have friends who struggle with various things, as do I. I think the important thing is to make an effort to control it, and realise that mental health isn't an excuse to hurt others. People may have difficult times, and make mistakes/do bad things, but if they can own up to that and try to prevent it happening again, then I think that's the sign of a decent person. If they just shrug it off and carry on...? Nope. If a friend wasn't attempting treatment and was consistently behaving in a hurtful way without any regard for other people, then I'd walk away.

I suffer from bipolar disorder but I don't think I'm a danger to anyone, not like I used to be. I'm pretty chill, I hope.

It depends on how dangerous the mental disorder is to be honest. I don’t think people inherently do bad things because of a mental disorder. I have Aspergers/ASD myself so I wouldn’t write someone else off for something like that.

as someone with some severe mental illness, (adhd, symptoms of dp/dr and/or possibly bpd) it'd be hypocritical of me to judge someone based on that. what matters to me more is the kind of person they are and how they behave, which while can be affected by mental illness is still mostly up to the person.

Back