Votes: 3 3.3%
  • 25.0 - 29.9 Overweight

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • 30.0 - 39.9 Obese

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • > 40 Morbidly Obese

Votes: 6 6.6%

• Total voters
I'm dying. Oh my God. That's just not how it works at all.

I'm dying. Oh my God. That's actually how it works for some people.

There's actual science behind the "starvation mode" phenomenon. It's called adaptive thermogenesis and it's accepted within the scientific and medical field. Check out this actual article about adaptive thermogenesis that is listed in the US National Library of Medicine.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3673773/

generally females have higher bmi. but i should lose some fat lols

also, starvation works because its a simple calories/calories out situation. eventually, your body will burn fat cause it has no nutrients from food to fuel itself. sure, you'll get skinnier (if you don't binge) but you'll be hella unhealthy.

Last edited:
lol but i never said its from low calorie diets (idk about the others)

im saying after you starve yourself (severe cases like anorexia) and then start eating again you usually tend to lose weight. and you can lose weight while eating a lot, it depends on what youre eating. you can lose muscle mass.
its super common look it up
No, that's not how it works. You're mixing up referring syndrome and muscular atrophy. People who were starving have to be slowly introduced food. But it's not the same as losing weight from starving. Muscular atrophy occurs when you have used up all your body's fat stores. You need a very, very low body fat percentage.

- - - Post Merge - - -

There's actual science behind the "starvation mode" phenomenon. It's called adaptive thermogenesis and it's accepted within the scientific and medical field. Check out this actual article about adaptive thermogenesis that is listed in the US National Library of Medicine.

AT is extremely contested and lacks a clear definition. In fact, the presence of AT in humans, especially those obese, was very small to none at all.

Last edited:
I have arfid so my bmi is lower than normal but im trying to improve on it

I heard from multiple websites and from school that under 3 is underweight for children
Not sure how much it differs for adults >.<

And there's plenty of research which shows that at no point does the body stop burning body fat during fasting/low calorie diets. You should only worry about starvation mode if you have 5% body fat or less, which is typical in bodybuilders. If you have body fat to burn, you will burn it.
And slow metabolism is an excuse too.Your metabolism will only slow down after several weeks or months of maintaining less than 50% of your required caloric intake but, only by 10% at the most.

No, that's not how it works. You're mixing up referring syndrome and muscular atrophy. People who were starving have to be slowly introduced food. But it's not the same as losing weight from starving. Muscular atrophy occurs when you have used up all your body's fat stores. You need a very, very low body fat percentage.

- - - Post Merge - - -

AT is extremely contested and lacks a clear definition. In fact, the presence of AT in humans, especially those obese, was very small to none at all.

I'm not talking solely about obese people- I'm talking primarily about people with average body-types, to be perfectly honest. One of my closest friends suffered from bulimia and anorexia for a short period of time, where she not only starved herself, but purged as well. Initially she lost weight, but after that she remained at a constant weight, even with the purging, starving, and constant exercising. She went to see a nutritionist (to lose weight healthily. She's of average weight but she had enough body fat that she still wanted to burn it off in a healthy way) and the nutritionist had her increase her calorie intake, because at the time her body was conserving every calorie it could spare. It was only through increasing her calorie intake from somewhere around 1000 calories to 2000 calories that she was able to begin losing weight healthily. I'm pretty sure if a practicing professional urges someone to increase their calorie intake in order to lose weight, they know what they're talking about.

I'm not talking solely about obese people- I'm talking primarily about people with average body-types, to be perfectly honest. One of my closest friends suffered from bulimia and anorexia for a short period of time, where she not only starved herself, but purged as well. Initially she lost weight, but after that she remained at a constant weight, even with the purging, starving, and constant exercising. She went to see a nutritionist (to lose weight healthily. She's of average weight but she had enough body fat that she still wanted to burn it off in a healthy way) and the nutritionist had her increase her calorie intake, because at the time her body was conserving every calorie it could spare. It was only through increasing her calorie intake from somewhere around 1000 calories to 2000 calories that she was able to begin losing weight healthily. I'm pretty sure if a practicing professional urges someone to increase their calorie intake in order to lose weight, they know what they're talking about.
The evidence in average people is little to none. AT isn't realistic. There is no way to maintain a low calorie diet. Your body cannot let itself subsist on too little calories. It requires too many calories to just function.

Was your friend anorexic or bulimic? Those are two different eating disorders, and you can never be both. She cannot have suffered from both at once. There is a b/p subtype of anorexia, but anorexia has a weight requirement. Most bulimics are actually normal weight to overweight. Purging doesn't actually get rid of calories like me think. Most people who purge also binge, so your friend was probably consuming a lot of calories and that's why she wasn't losing weight.

Last edited:
The evidence in average people is little to none. AT isn't realistic. There is no way to maintain a low calorie diet. Your body cannot let itself subsist on too little calories. It requires too many calories to just function.

Was your friend anorexic or bulimic? Those are two different eating disorders, and you can never be both. She cannot have suffered from both at once. There is a b/p subtype of anorexia, but anorexia has a weight requirement. Most bulimics are actually normal weight to overweight. Purging doesn't actually get rid of calories like me think. Most people who purge also binge, so your friend was probably consuming a lot of calories and that's why she wasn't losing weight.

She started out as bulimic, which eventually evolved into anorexia nervosa. She was average weight to begin with, but even with calorie restriction and purging (she didn't binge. She would purge after a normal meal with her parents) she didn't lose much weight other than around 10-15 pounds of body fat in the very beginning. And purging "doesn't actually get rid of the calories"? Do you know how the human body works? If you remove the food before it can be digested, your body will gain none of its nutritional value. The only exception I can see to this is heavily-processed foods made of bleached white flour and sugar. Even then, the food is not broken down within seconds. I'd estimate 15-30 minutes, which is well within the time most people purge after eating.

I'm not a nutritionist, and I think it's safe to say you aren't either. I, on the other hand, am not going to question the judgement and the knowledge of someone who deals with this kind of thing for a living. If nutritionists and medical associations consider it to be something to take into consideration when choosing a weight-loss diet, I think it's safe to assume that they have a reason for assuming that. If you look up "calorie restriction and still gaining weight", there are hundreds if not THOUSANDS of people who are confused as to why they are gaining weight even with calorie restriction. While it's safe to assume that several of these people are just compulsive eaters and aren't actually restricting their calories, the sheer magnitude of people who struggle with this SCREAMS causation, not just correlation.

She started out as bulimic, which eventually evolved into anorexia nervosa. She was average weight to begin with, but even with calorie restriction and purging (she didn't binge. She would purge after a normal meal with her parents) she didn't lose much weight other than around 10-15 pounds of body fat in the very beginning. And purging "doesn't actually get rid of the calories"? Do you know how the human body works? If you remove the food before it can be digested, your body will gain none of its nutritional value. The only exception I can see to this is heavily-processed foods made of bleached white flour and sugar. Even then, the food is not broken down within seconds. I'd estimate 15-30 minutes, which is well within the time most people purge after eating.

I'm not a nutritionist, and I think it's safe to say you aren't either. I, on the other hand, am not going to question the judgement and the knowledge of someone who deals with this kind of thing for a living. If nutritionists and medical associations consider it to be something to take into consideration when choosing a weight-loss diet, I think it's safe to assume that they have a reason for assuming that. If you look up "calorie restriction and still gaining weight", there are hundreds if not THOUSANDS of people who are confused as to why they are gaining weight even with calorie restriction. While it's safe to assume that several of these people are just compulsive eaters and aren't actually restricting their calories, the sheer magnitude of people who struggle with this SCREAMS causation, not just correlation.
No, no, no. Bulimia does not evolve into anorexia. That's such a terrible thing people say. They are seperate. People always see anorexia as the be all, end all of eating disorders. By saying other eating disorder evolve into it, you discount other eating disorders. They may all be linked, but they do not evolve.

Purging does not get rid of all the calories. That is how the human body works. Some of the food has already been digested. Purging does not negate all the calories before eating. While calories do get purged, some remain. It's just how purging works. Even stomach pumping is not foolproof. Processed or not. The fact you being processed food into this kind of proves how little you understand.

Weight loss is slow. You don't start restricting and pounds melt off. It takes years of restricting for most people to reach an extremely low body weight. It's a slow process. Losing 12 pounds in one month is a lot. That's about 3 pounds a week. Anorexia is a lot of long term effort.

You can also easily Google "starvation mode myth" and find thousands of medical professional and other scientists' answers. It's a pretty well known myth, but still that, a myth. You can also look up studies on calorie reporting. Even nutritionists underreport according to these studies. It's pretty obvious why people think they are not eating enough and still not losing weight. There's more compelling evidence to the contrary than their is to prove. That's going to lead me, and I am not a nutritionist, to believe that there is no starvation mode.

No, no, no. Bulimia does not evolve into anorexia. That's such a terrible thing people say. They are seperate. People always see anorexia as the be all, end all of eating disorders. By saying other eating disorder evolve into it, you discount other eating disorders. They may all be linked, but they do not evolve.

Purging does not get rid of all the calories. That is how the human body works. Some of the food has already been digested. Purging does not negate all the calories before eating. While calories do get purged, some remain. It's just how purging works. Even stomach pumping is not foolproof. Processed or not. The fact you being processed food into this kind of proves how little you understand.

Weight loss is slow. You don't start restricting and pounds melt off. It takes years of restricting for most people to reach an extremely low body weight. It's a slow process. Losing 12 pounds in one month is a lot. That's about 3 pounds a week. Anorexia is a lot of long term effort.

You can also easily Google "starvation mode myth" and find thousands of medical professional and other scientists' answers. It's a pretty well known myth, but still that, a myth. You can also look up studies on calorie reporting. Even nutritionists underreport according to these studies. It's pretty obvious why people think they are not eating enough and still not losing weight. There's more compelling evidence to the contrary than their is to prove. That's going to lead me, and I am not a nutritionist, to believe that there is no starvation mode.

She has been diagnosed with both disorders at separate points in her life. It started as bulimia, and she ended as an anorexic. Whatever termonology you'd like to use, her subconscious twisted her self-hatred from one point to another which caused the shift in her disorder. "Evolve" isn't an insensitive word, and I'm not saying that those are the only two eating disorders that exist. And the way you're saying that there are certain "requirements" for being anorexic is complete BS. You don't have to look like a skeleton to have anorexia. Anorexia is GENERALLY characterized by abnormally low body weight, but that's after years and years of suffering. My friend sought treatment after roughly a year.

You're right, purging doesn't get rid of every single calorie. But it gets rid of just about everything. In order for food to be converted into energy for your body, the food must first be converted into glucose before your body can do anything with it. (If it's a carbohydrate, anyways. And those are what are digested the fastest.) Turning complex starches and sugars into a more simple sugar takes time- and if your body gets rid of the food before it can be converted into glucose, then your body won't use it as a source of energy or fat. And even if your body DOES convert the food to glucose, it still needs to be absorbed by your small intestine in order for it to get into your bloodstream. So if your food doesn't make it to your small intestine in the form of glucose (or your stomach, in some cases. But most food is digested through your small intestine), your body will not use it whatsoever. The fact that I'm acknowledging the fact that many simple sugar-rich foods are digested much quicker than foods with significant amounts of fiber and protein doesn't prove that "I know nothing about the subject", it proves that I know enough about the topic to know that certain foods begin the digestion process before being purged- but they are never digested enough to be a significant source of calories in this case, either.

PS: I googled "starvation mode myth" and I couldn't find any research done to disprove the theory, and I found no scientists or nutritionists disproving the theory, only biased editors on dieting websites. Many of them share conflicting evidence... some claim that starvation mode is really for people who are already underweight, whereas others claim that it's not real whatsoever. Reading about something on the internet, whether it's a myth or the debunking of a myth, it ultimately... not a reliable way to get information unless it's published by a medical journal (which I provided early-on) or any other research paper, which is why most of what I'm talking about is anectodal. I agree that there's not enough evidence to go off of either way, but personally, I'm going to side with the people who have degrees in this sort of thing, not people on the internet who claim to know everything there is to know about weight loss.

Back