• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Smash Bros Unpopular Opinions - Smash Edition

Sweetley

- Gone -
Bells
I saw on twitter a tweet about unpopular Super Smash Bros. opinions and it was pretty interesting to
read all those "unpopular opinions". So I'm curious and would like to hear yours.

- I'm not a big fan of all those Fire Emblem characters

- Ultimate is not bad, but not my favorite Smash game to be honest

- Speaking of Ultimate, I'm not really found of the whole Spirit thing

- World of Light is lame, at least I didn't had so much fun playing it as I had with playing
the Subspace Emissary in Brawl (also playing against Pauline's spirit is brutal)

- I love collecting the trophies and also I kinda miss the stickers from Brawl

Link is better than Toon Link.

Also I didn't know trophies were unpopular. If they are, I love collecting those.

I saw on twitter a tweet about unpopular Super Smash Bros. opinions and it was pretty interesting to
read all those "unpopular opinions". So I'm curious and would like to hear yours.

I wouldn't say that this is an unpopular opinion though? At least from personal experience reading people's thoughts over the years, that seems like the consensus. A lot of complaining about anime swordfighters and jokes about how they're all just different versions of Marth.

I guess my unpopular opinion would be that it's not a bad thing to have so many Fire Emblem characters, for a few reasons. First and foremost, the series has been around since 1990 and is older than a number of the other series featured in the Super Smash Bros. games, so them having a lot of representation shouldn't be a bad thing. Additionally, outside of Lucina being a slightly altered Marth clone and Chrom basically being Roy with Ike's Aether, they all play pretty differently outside of things like Counter.

I'd argue instead that the other series simply need more representation as well, characters like Dixie Kong and whatnot to even things out a bit more and make the amount of Fire Emblem characters less apparent or as much of an issue. Give us a fully-evolved Grass starter like Sceptile or whatever Grookey will turn into since they're the only starter type without a fully-evolved representative in Smash Bros. Add Bandana Dee since he seems to be a popular request, etc. Balance the series out more and everyone can just live and let live.

Tying into all of the above, I guess another unpopular opinion is that I want more Fire Emblem characters in future games. I agree that there are far too many sword users though, so I'd rather characters like Edelgard from Fire Emblem: Three Houses were added since she uses an axe, and the customization of characters in Three Houses could give her more moveset potential with magic or other weapons. It would break some of the monotony if we could just get someone that uses an axe or lance and she seems like the best bet.

I'm kind of annoyed that Chrom was added in Ultimate since his addition seemed unnecessary, gave a third representative to a single game in the franchise (Awakening), is just a hodgepodge of Ike and Roy's movesets slapped together and just feels like the fulfillment of a dumb joke because of the "today is not your day" thing in Lucina and Robin's reveal. Since it was stated that there won't be any new character DLC for any of the franchises that already have representatives in Ultimate, it seems like a gigantic wasted opportunity to have included him instead of a character with more moveset potential and that is more relevant since Three Houses came out this last month.

I don't know that there's much else. I kind of just play the game and enjoy it and don't really pay attention to or try to start drama. If I think of anything, I'll just make another post, but yeah, I'm just pretty chill about it as far as I know.

I wouldn't say that this is an unpopular opinion though? At least from personal experience reading people's thoughts over the years, that seems like the consensus. A lot of complaining about anime swordfighters and jokes about how they're all just different versions of Marth.

Well, I didn't knew this, as I saw people over the time who really hate it if you dare to say anything against
the FE characters or sword fighters in general and actually got pretty salty about it. So because of this and
since I don't know how many people love or hate those characters now (since I also not following the Smash community that much), I counted it as an unpopular opinion. But good to know that there are more people
who agrees with this.

- Ultimate is not bad, but not my favorite Smash game to be honest

- Speaking of Ultimate, I'm not really found of the whole Spirit thing

- World of Light is lame, at least I didn't had so much fun playing it as I had with playing
the Subspace Emissary in Brawl (also playing against Pauline's spirit is brutal)

- I love collecting the trophies and also I kinda miss the stickers from Brawl

None of these are unpopular save for the second. Everyone hates sword characters tbh.

As for me I think Pichu sucks now after 3.0. Mid tier now.

Last edited:
As for me I think Pichu sucks now after 3.0. Mid tier now.
:[

- - - Post Merge - - -

tbh some ppl seem kinda biased on characters. They don't seem give af as long as their main's on top :/

unpopular opinion: I think tier lists are bogus in general... to say that peach, pichu, or joker is all above the rest isn't possible. Players take to a characters play style a lot more and if it works for them great, but each person plays each character differently. I think its more important to know thatch character does generally have better data than some, but overall I think its way more of a spectrum

I'm kind of annoyed that Chrom was added in Ultimate since his addition seemed unnecessary, gave a third representative to a single game in the franchise (Awakening), is just a hodgepodge of Ike and Roy's movesets slapped together and just feels like the fulfillment of a dumb joke because of the "today is not your day" thing in Lucina and Robin's reveal. Since it was stated that there won't be any new character DLC for any of the franchises that already have representatives in Ultimate, it seems like a gigantic wasted opportunity to have included him instead of a character with more moveset potential and that is more relevant since Three Houses came out this last month.

Same, I do like having a big variety of FE characters, but I don't like that there's such an overabundance of Awakening reps. I think I would've been happy if they had given us Celica instead, even as like a Robin clone or something.

Kirby Rep > FE Rep

FE gets 7 characters yet Kirby gets 3? boooooooo! I doubt they'll add another one for dlc though... ;(

Kirby Rep > FE Rep

FE gets 7 characters yet Kirby gets 3? boooooooo! I doubt they'll add another one for dlc though... ;(
Kirby Characters we can add

Bandana Waddle Dee (spear, parasol, rope, nruff, armor)
Marx (bramble seeds, laser, claws, frost breath, black hole, ball)
Dark Matter (sword, lasers, star transformation, eye drones)

I know some of these are bosses/spirits already but still

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also i think we deserve better pokemon. Who the **** wanted incineroar? Probably someone not that I care but give us Gengar or Blaziken or Suicune, even Decideute while deleting Incineroar.

Last edited:

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also i think we deserve better pokemon. Who the **** wanted incineroar? Probably someone not that I care but give us Gengar or Blaziken or Suicune, even Decideute while deleting Incineroar.

HOW ARE YOU NOT GOING TO SAY THAT WE DESERVE THE GOD

THE LEGEND

K R A C K O

- - - Post Merge - - -

ok pu?etas , al chile nadie te pregunto :]]

Last edited:
I don't mind the "echo fighter" concept but I just don't like their placement on the rosters. I'd rather they be placed near the characters they share their first smash game with instead of their counterparts. Like.. Lucina and Dark Pit should be with other smash 4 characters like Little Mac and Bowser Jr. It just bothers me how it's in order from veteran characters to newcomers to when the echo fighters aren't in that order.

I think the DLC characters seem a little too stacked in terms of moveset utility compared a lot of the roster(Banjo,Hero and Joker are the big offenders).
I think the game needs a huge balance update but I know we'll probably never see something like that.
Also please... no more FE reps.

Brawl was the best smash game. Fight me.
-Meta Knight being a god tier character.
-Tripping.

That's gonna be a BIG yikes from me dawg.

I don't mind how many Fire Emblem characters there are. In fact, I wouldn't mind if they added more. Given how many times I see "too many Fire Emblem characters" alongside the more derogatory "anime sword fighters", it comes across to me that a lot of the complaints are from people who aren't a fan of the series...Though I don't disregard that there are genuine complaints about the FE characters just being a bit bland and repetitive in regard to movesets.

That said, I wish there were some variation in there. There's like what, at least 10 weapon types in the series, probably more? Even more so if we count classes such as pegasus knights and great knights. Why not use a popular character who fits into one of those roles? Why do they all have swords, except Robin, who still has a sword.

I think instead of Chrom, if they insisted on another Awakening character, they should have added Tharja instead. She's probably the most popular none main character and is canonically a pure magic user. That would have at least demanded a moveset that wasn't just another Marth and/or Ike clone.

Maybe I'm just not looking the right places but I rarely see unironic complains about "anime swordfighters" in general, mainly just comments and jokes about people complaining about them. It tends to be about Fire Emblem specifically, not just "any anime-esque character using a sword from any series". (...then again, I guess Hero got some reactions like that, but a lot of those also seemed to be from people who were just uninterested in Dragon Quest)

I am someone who thinks we have a bit many FE characters but I also admittedly am not a fan of the series, so I admit I can be kinda biased against it. That being said, I wouldn't mind a new FE character that much if they had a very different gameplay style... at least Byleth plays somewhat differently

Also... not really a fan of Melee. Tried it a few times but compared to newer games I just can't get into it - a big reason is that a lot of characters I like playing as were introduced in Brawl or later.

Back