• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The Resetting Thread

Good luck with your new town <3
Remember to have fun and relax when playing once and a while!

Thanks :'D I took a really long hiatus away from the game so I don't mind restarting since I sort of lost track of what I was collecting anyway, especially for the museum again and stuff. So I'm excited to start collecting again *_*

I think I'm developing an unhealthy obsession with my idea of the "perfect town"... I just keep resetting over and over and can't seem to get the town layout I want. My criteria is a plaza in the centre of the map, with re-tail and the town hall in the north of town, and plenty of space for my home with a fountain and gardens... Oh! And apples! I've tried compromising before but it just bugs me every time. Why am I such a perfectionist!? It's awful :(

I'm thinking about joining the "rest for the update" team, but I gotta ask - how does the town selling work? Does it also let you keep bells AND catalog, just catalog..?

I think I'm developing an unhealthy obsession with my idea of the "perfect town"... I just keep resetting over and over and can't seem to get the town layout I want. My criteria is a plaza in the centre of the map, with re-tail and the town hall in the north of town, and plenty of space for my home with a fountain and gardens... Oh! And apples! I've tried compromising before but it just bugs me every time. Why am I such a perfectionist!? It's awful :(

Don't worry! I was resetting for 5 days! I just got what I wanted, triangle grass, double ramp leading up to retail right by the beach and a plaza with the mayors office directly under it. I decided to take the time because out of everything else you can change, town layout isn't one!

IMG_2394.jpg

I've been thinking about resetting. Ever since Stitches and Zucker moved out, I've just lost all motivation to touch AC:NL.
This new update with the use of amiibo cards, is making me want to restart. I didn't like my town lay out either and my main issue was losing all my bells and items.
I feel like I'm making a mistake still though x_x I still have villagers I like but Stitches and Zucker were my two favorites.

Don't worry! I was resetting for 5 days! I just got what I wanted, triangle grass, double ramp leading up to retail right by the beach and a plaza with the mayors office directly under it. I decided to take the time because out of everything else you can change, town layout isn't one!

View attachment 188151
Yeah you're right, as you said you cannot change the town layout. So I'll just persist with the resetting as I know when I eventually get what I want I will be happy. It's just so tedious. At least resetting for days paid off for you! :blush:

Last edited:
Yeah... I think i'll do this too...
nvm

Last edited:
Undecided Reset

I'm considering resetting Coffee, because I'm kind of bored of it... I thinks I'm just bored of the villagers, so all I'll do is sell a handful of villagers I haven't clicked with, but I'm not sure...!

EDIT: Ignore this post I reset my town the day after this was posted. I'm still hunting for a new one.

Attachments

• 1113161812a.jpg
    1113161812a.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
I honestly would want to reset because I'm literally a year and a half behind due to time traveling when I did it excessively when I first got the game three years ago and I also put a star after my name which didn't bother me then but bothers me now, like, a lot (not sure why, I just think it looks weird). But I've literally developed with a relationship with all ten of my villagers and I love them all so much, and I also can't imagine a different layout after having the same one for three years. I was very upset when Stitches, Quillson, and Miranda moved though. (I shipped Quillson and Miranda for some reason and, interestingly enough, they moved out around the same time as each other :p )

Also, and this may sound stupid, I don't want to look like a bandwagoner when people see that I supposedly just joined by looking at my TPC.

Yeah, I did the same with my old town...
Had about 5/10 dreamies
Near complete museum
t.I.y with gracie appearing
Took me a LONG time until now to find a town I like... but it has the same layout as the old one... o_0

Sorry for the giant wall of text and how it turned into a mini-rant at the end. Do I reset or keep going? I want to enjoy this game again and I could really use some advice.. :(

I would feel conflicted too, honestly. I don't have experience with resetting (I literally just found out about the different grass patterns after reading your post (my grass is square, hehe)). I personally would not reset. However, based on what you've said, I would (if that makes any sense).

As for the last paragraph, making your town really cool looking is very frustrating- believe me, I know. My town still looks pretty boring after having the game for so long. It's great that you're getting inspiration, and I'm sure you'll think of something.

I wanted to type more, but I have to go, so hopefully this much helped.

I would feel conflicted too, honestly. I don't have experience with resetting (I literally just found out about the different grass patterns after reading your post (my grass is square, hehe)). I personally would not reset. However, based on what you've said, I would (if that makes any sense).

As for the last paragraph, making your town really cool looking is very frustrating- believe me, I know. My town still looks pretty boring after having the game for so long. It's great that you're getting inspiration, and I'm sure you'll think of something.

I wanted to type more, but I have to go, so hopefully this much helped.

Thanks for your input! It is pretty frustrating, isn't it? :( I'm honestly leaning toward resetting but I'm still not sure if I should do it.. x_x

EDIT: Well, I've decided to reset. Gonna be a pain to get my bells, items and villagers back, but it's nice to start over sometimes.

Last edited:
This is a long-winded post I made on Reddit about resetting, and I was hoping for some extra opinions here. Here's a link to my town map:

https://i.redd.it/8h1697v5ufyx.jpg

Long story short, I'm having mixed feelings about my town's layout and don't know whether it's worth a reboot. As a whole game, I'm loving New Leaf so far. However, after several days in, I'm realizing the inconvenience of a few building placements and second-guessing the looks of my village.

I do like the overall shape; having the town split into business and residential halves is nice. I do have a gripe with the placement of the town tree square – it's tucked into a corner and nobody ever goes there. Ideally, it'd serve as a nice community space, but everyone lives so far away, there's no point.

I'm also not too thrilled about Re-tail's distance from the beach. I just made my first journey to the island today, and I quickly realized the struggle of taking so many trips back and forth to sell goods. I was lucky enough to have funded the middle bridge yesterday, so I wouldn't have to go all the way to the east to get south of the river, but it sure is a hike.
I'm also lamenting the placement of my house – I put it close to the edge of the beach cliff, since I couldn't really find another place I loved. I wanted to be out of the way from most of the bustle. But now I can't have a nice lawn or pathway, as the cliff is only about three or four blocks from the gate.

Things I might regret if I restarted include all the household items I've traded for over the past few days from the ACTrade sub, my museum progress and fledgling flower garden. I also have Marshal moving in tomorrow, and I hear he's a pretty popular guy. I like my other villagers, but I'm not head-over-heels for them either.

So what do you think? Is it worth it? What do you think about the generated layout?

Last edited:
my instinct response to anyone who is seriously considering resetting to change their map layout:

do it

because if you're on the fence now, it's better to do it sooner rather than regret it later and lose even more. i have reset my game twice because i didn't wait long enough for the perfect map either time !!

give yourself the criteria you want to fill (i.e. major building placement, if you care about grass/ fruit etc) and stick to it, even if it takes awhile!! you won't regret it and you'll never want to reset again.

The (almost) death of a town

I almost lost my town as a result of a recent update for the game. I wasn't sure how to fix it. Basically, I updated my game and then it wouldn't load past the 3ds screen. There's very little information online about this, so I thought I might share my fix.

I just uninstalled the update. It's a tricky thing, but I accomplished it.

Now it's got me thinking: do I want to keep my town? Should I restart the game and make an entirely new town?
The debate is open. Pros and cons of keeping/giving up a town.

It's not a decision to make lightly, but the main points of consideration are...
How much of your current town/setup do you take for granted?
For example, did you spend time/money/bells hunting for dreamies, or are you open to meeting new villagers?
Do you have the T&T Emporium, a fully upgraded house, gold/silver tools? How full is your Museum, Encyclopedia?

I restarted my town recently, but this was with the Welcome Amiibo update, which allows you to sell your whole town to Nook. I chose to keep my catalogue intact, but I forgot that you don't actually have access to the catalogue system until the store has upgraded. The decision to restart was not undertaken lightly, and I spent a LOT of time moving stored punnets of perfect fruit to my other town, and I left my tools and wetsuit there for myself as well. I did not have to do this, but I don't regret giving myself that head start.

I almost lost my town as a result of a recent update for the game. I wasn't sure how to fix it. Basically, I updated my game and then it wouldn't load past the 3ds screen. There's very little information online about this, so I thought I might share my fix.

I just uninstalled the update. It's a tricky thing, but I accomplished it.

Now it's got me thinking: do I want to keep my town? Should I restart the game and make an entirely new town?
The debate is open. Pros and cons of keeping/giving up a town.

well does your game open now? im assuming not lol
if not i'd say just give up unless you really love your town

I'm new to the forum, but I've played animal crossing for years. I just actually opened up new leaf though, and I'm surprised just how annoying setting up your desired town is. I think I prefer the old games in this way. There are so many new variables, the chances of getting what you'd like are low, which is disheartening, especially if you're stubborn like me. I do understand what the devs were going for though, diversity. yet. *sigh* I'm pretty OCD about how my town layout is and have found myself settling, only to reset a week later because it was nagging at me and, in turn, my motivation plummets. (I know this isn't the case for most, but it is for me).

I think it would be nice, at the beginning, in the train, if Rover asked, (after telling him the name of your town) "What is (townname) like?" and then on the map your could drag around the buildings and the layout how you'd like with the stylus within some limits, or something of this nature, or at least be able to keep randomizing past four attempts.

Also, why not keep the "default" gray style train station and townhall at the beginning, and allow the player to "paint" it through tom nook later? It would be useful for certain themes. That blue train station is sooo.... awful. No offense to anyone who likes it, its just not my cup of tea. This random variable just makes me really frustrated.
:(

Last edited:
Back