• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

The ACNH Rant Thread

Let me just say that I welcome new characters to the series. They help keep AC fresh. But new characters shouldn't replace old ones. Orville and Wilbur are no Pelly, Phyllis, Pete, Copper, Booker, or Porter. They added these two new characters to replace up to six characters and their functions (depending on the game) that have been in the series since the original game.

Also, these two new characters look identical except one if them wears aviator sunglasses. Way to be creative, Nintendo. Remember, "Do what Dodos do." 😏

Same here dude. I used to talk to all my villagers all the time in all of the installments. But in NH? I just run right pass them.

I would do this too, but it turns out they have a set amount of context (read: boring/repetitive) dialogue before they tell you anything else! There's about 3-5 convos you have to mash through before you get anything interesting, though, and they still give you the whole "oh haha you again?" bit each time, so I don't know if it's a worthwhile tradeoff :/

I do agree that the dialogue is reused a LOT this time around, and it's very annoying to have every neighbour comment on the bells you buried or the net you're holding or this other islander's title or the clothes you have on... There's so little to do in the game that it feels weird that any unique stuff is behind sooo much guff.

I’m just gonna say it, I think the music is nothing special. I’m saying this compared solely to New Leaf but except for the 5 am song and I think the 3 am song, pretty much none of the music is pleasant to me and some of them are even downright annoying. Kinda wish they’d change with the seasons but, based on a few trips I made to winter islands, it doesn’t seem to be the case at all...

I’m just gonna say it, I think the music is nothing special. I’m saying this compared solely to New Leaf but except for the 5 am song and I think the 3 am song, pretty much none of the music is pleasant to me and some of them are even downright annoying. Kinda wish they’d change with the seasons but, based on a few trips I made to winter islands, it doesn’t seem to be the case at all...
the songs have jinglebells on winter but that's it

I really wish Isabelle would say something productive like "flick is here make sure to hand in your bugs" or "its raining out today make sure to use umbrellas"..... like Isabelle I love you, but I don't care that your favorite sock finally showed up for the 50th time

I just had C.J. on my island for the first time, and I'm sorta disappointed that he can't offer any more challenges after you complete the one he offers you. I like the fact that he buys fish off of you afterwards, but I wanna be able to do more than just one challenge. I wish it was an all-day event like the fishing tourneys in NL, not just a one-and-done thing. It doesn't help that it'll probably be a while until I see him again, so I'm extra bummed out by that...

today i just... did not have any motivation to play so i put it down. i'm really over all the tedious steps to get something done like redeeming nook miles or getting blathers to assess a fossil i've already donated...

today i just... did not have any motivation to play so i put it down. i'm really over all the tedious steps to get something done like redeeming nook miles or getting blathers to assess a fossil i've already donated...
I'm feeling this way too. There really just isn't much to do once you finish decorating imo...
I'm not done decorating my island but honestly it feels like tedious and boring since there isn't much right now.

I'm hoping there's going to be an update in June and not July because right now, there isn't much of an incentive to keep playing atm.

Okay rant starts here

Isabelle has a pointless role in this game, she does absolutely nada, nothing
My hope is that she announces the special NPC visiting
I really wish Isabelle would say something productive like "flick is here make sure to hand in your bugs" or "its raining out today make sure to use umbrellas"..... like Isabelle I love you, but I don't care that your favorite sock finally showed up for the 50th time
Like you stated
Isabelle already did it for Redd's first visit why not for all the visits of all NPCS?

Honestly this only bugs me for camp methoding
in NL it was, adopt a villager, get a camper, or void/random move in
but in this game we have Nook Mile Tours which lets us find villagers
But I still think 20% chance of a camper is VERY small

Nintendo released a buggy game with nothing to do
yet Nintendo wonders why everyone is decorating their island
Nintendo, if you haven't realized that's all we CAN do
catching bugs, fish, and terraforming won't keep us occupied for long
and the god awful villager dialogue, i get it i watered my flowers big whoop who cares?
And all these glitches :/

I would do this too, but it turns out they have a set amount of context (read: boring/repetitive) dialogue before they tell you anything else! There's about 3-5 convos you have to mash through before you get anything interesting, though, and they still give you the whole "oh haha you again?" bit each time, so I don't know if it's a worthwhile tradeoff :/

I do agree that the dialogue is reused a LOT this time around, and it's very annoying to have every neighbour comment on the bells you buried or the net you're holding or this other islander's title or the clothes you have on... There's so little to do in the game that it feels weird that any unique stuff is behind sooo much guff.

It does take a while to get through the guff, but once you can start filling in their dialogue with custom greetings and catchphrases, things get way more interesting!

Also helps to have a good mix of personalities with your villagers. But in general, when has automated dialogue in video games EVER been perfect?

It does take a while to get through the guff, but once you can start filling in their dialogue with custom greetings and catchphrases, things get way more interesting!

Also helps to have a good mix of personalities with your villagers. But in general, when has automated dialogue in video games EVER been perfect?
Yeah but if you compare the dialouge from Wild World to New Horizons, Wild World shows how watered down New Horizons dialogue is in comparison

I really don't like the fact that we are forced to invite the first camper from the campsite. My first campsite villager was Julian and I don't want him on my island. I'm not happy about him being forced on me. I'm going to make sure he feels very unwelcome so he'll move quickly.

Just like how the very first residents with you are a jock and an uchi, the first campsite visitor is smug. Consider yourself lucky with Julian, though. At least his house is super cool and he’s tradeable. I got Rodney. *shudders*

This game is addicting. Too addicting! That’s rant worthy! I’ve spent too much time playing this game. I think it’s time to back away and pursue a few productive activities.

why are fences like thiiiiis 😭
nn.png

why are fences like thiiiiis 😭
View attachment 267463

OMG yes! Seriously, why Nintendo? They really couldn't have made it where it can at least line up with the paths?
Post automatically merged:

Just like how the very first residents with you are a jock and an uchi, the first campsite visitor is smug. Consider yourself lucky with Julian, though. At least his house is super cool and he’s tradeable. I got Rodney. *shudders*

Yeah, his house is nice, and not an eyesore so I did get kind of lucky with him. Just not the villager I really wanted.

I gotta echo the others on Isabelle, matter of fact that's why I stopped by the thread today.

I'm so fed up with Isabelle having absolutely nothing to say. She's so utterly useless. Either announce some real news, or just don't talk at all so I can just hurry up and play the game.

slightly spicy take, and I totally understand the reasoning and you could make a valid argument in support of it, but it's become a pet peeve of mine when people describe features that are not currently in NH as "taken out." Ik that's a petty thing to get peeved about, but I'm really into rhetoric and the difference small turns of phrase can make to a statement, as well as the underlying assumptions such statements imply, so I notice it and it bugs me.

While I know not everyone means it like this, "taken out" (maybe just to me?) implies something a little different from "not added" or even "left out," which is the idea they intentionally removed something from the game and from players after either intentionally including it, or making it clear the feature was supposed to be there. For most features from earlier AC games that have not been included in NH so far, it doesn't make sense to me to call those "taken out" because it assumes NH, with a different approach to updates and perhaps even the AC formula as a whole, can be fairly compared in every aspect to earlier AC games, which launched as complete experiences, in terms of which features are "returning" from those earlier games. It assumes certain features from earlier games were supposed to be in NH at launch/early on in the update cycle, as if we could know that, and because they're not, we're not getting what we were promised.

(Hybrid flower islands are a notable exception - I recognize Nintendo did take them out of NH, and FTR I definitely don't agree with that decision. However, personally I don't think they'd code special island hybrid genes into the game and then waste that effort removing them forever. I personally have hope they'll bring those back at some point, especially since they never said a word when they removed them. Just my opinion though. We can't know for sure either way.)

To be clear, I agree that the game has numerous frustrations and inconveniences as a standalone game as well as a mainline AC game. But - and this is where it gets really spicy - did Nintendo ever promise us Brewster would be in NH at launch? Are we entitled to having him in NH right now? Now I agree NH would've been more enjoyable if Brewster were included at launch - as well as gyroids for that matter! - but since I'm told I can't assume he'll be added in "since we don't know for sure," then how can we assume he will never be added in? And then judge the (incomplete) game as a whole based on that assumption, in addition to the assumption he is supposed to be in NH right now? Because that's what saying Brewster is "taken out" of NH means to me.

Yes, we are free - and even encouraged! - to make comparisons between entries in a series, because it is AC and this is Nintendo we're talking about. And yes, we have to have at least base expectations of what a mainline, next-gen console title branded as Animal Crossing should play like, because by producing, marketing and selling it Nintendo essentially promises it will be an upgrade from the last game enough to be worth purchasing. And it's perfectly reasonable to express disappointment when those expectations are not met! However, especially considering we have no way of looking into the future, and can only choose between a glass-half-full or glass-half-empty perspective when we discuss NH updates, it doesn't sit right with me when people talk as if because some specific features from NL are not in NH as of today, we've been stolen from.

Again feel free to disagree, but I don't think the problem with NH is that it doesn't have all the features that were in earlier games - I don't remember NH claiming to be the Smash Ultimate of AC, even if popular hype might have reached that conclusion; feel free to direct me to any statements they made to the contrary. I also don't believe Nintendo is incompetent - greedy, sure, what big company isn't, and also woefully obsessed about stopping hackers/pirates at the expense of legitimate players, but even then I think they do know what they're doing with this game, even if we don't like it. I'm not in full agreement with their decisions, but I respect that they have a different plan in mind, and as their consumer I look forward to seeing that plan revealed.

Back