• Join us for live Nintendo Trivia today at 6PM EDT in Discord as part of TBT's World Championship 2024 to win points for your team! if justin is awake

The ACNH Rant Thread

I just got sucked into this island hopping madness where I look for ideal villagers. What bothers me about it was that they usually try to dish out villager species and personalities you already have while hardly finding any species or personalities you’re already missing. To make matters worse, some of these islanders were villagers you already had in the past (even if it was the villager that just moved out). To me, this isn’t about specific villagers you’re looking for. It’s about avoiding villagers you’re not looking for.

Case in point, Hans the gorilla just moved out. Since I kicked out my only Peppy villager in exchange for a Normal villager (I have two now) and since Hans was my last Smug villager, I’m missing both a Smug and a Peppy while having everything else, so I was expecting more Smug and Peppy villagers as I go island hopping. But, all I am getting were Jock villagers and Lazy villagers. Why would a Jock villager or a Lazy villager be a good replacement for a Smug villager? I already got two lazies, and my second newest villager was a Jock. And when I am getting a Smug villager, it was Hans, the one that just moved out. In regards to species, I kept seeing chickens and alligators popping up. I already have three chickens and an alligator. What I don’t have are animals like penguins, squirrels, cats, dogs, and wolves, none of these species showing up on these islands.

why can i basically not hear the radios that are right there in my view just a few steps away from me?? why do radios playing, or animals singing, get either incredibly faintly quiet or nonexistent if i’m not right in their faces? can we please get volume controls like every other video game released in 2020 has and a better radius for this stuff omg, it’s literally impossible for me to be able to hear 1) an animal singing in the plaza and 2) the song they’re singing along to on the radio that’s right outside the plaza, at the same time and that’s so weird to me. also i would like to be able to listen to my own music without having to mute my entire game.
Post automatically merged:

I just got sucked into this island hopping madness where I look for ideal villagers. What bothers me about it was that they usually try to dish out villager species and personalities you already have while hardly finding any species or personalities you’re already missing. To make matters worse, some of these islanders were villagers you already had in the past (even if it was the villager that just moved out). To me, this isn’t about specific villagers you’re looking for. It’s about avoiding villagers you’re not looking for.

Case in point, Hans the gorilla just moved out. Since I kicked out my only Peppy villager in exchange for a Normal villager (I have two now) and since Hans was my last Smug villager, I’m missing both a Smug and a Peppy while having everything else, so I was expecting more Smug and Peppy villagers as I go island hopping. But, all I am getting were Jock villagers and Lazy villagers. Why would a Jock villager or a Lazy villager be a good replacement for a Smug villager? I already got two lazies, and my second newest villager was a Jock. And when I am getting a Smug villager, it was Hans, the one that just moved out. In regards to species, I kept seeing chickens and alligators popping up. I already have three chickens and an alligator. What I don’t have are animals like penguins, squirrels, cats, dogs, and wolves, none of these species showing up on these islands.
This is partially just bad luck (I have no idea why you're not getting any cats or dogs at all) and partially because the islands roll for species and then a villager in that species, and do not roll for personality at all. And they also don't take into account what species you have or don't have, giving each one an equal chance statistically. It's only the campsite that takes what personalities you don't have into account--they have a greater chance to give you one of those personalities. This is why people kick out all their smugs and then use the campsite to look for Raymond, because the islands rolling for species first and not taking personality into account means the chance of getting Raymond is actually far smaller than you'd think (since you have to pass the first roll to get a cat, and then be lucky enough that it specifically rolls for you to get Raymond out of the million other cats). It also means that if you happen to roll for getting a gorilla, the pool for them is so small (only 9 of them I think?) that finding Hans isn't unlikely. So if you're specifically looking for smugs and don't currently have any it might be best for you to use the campsite method, if you're okay with TTing.

But yeah, it's frustrating, I don't understand why the islands don't do a roll for personality and take into account which ones you're missing. Maybe it's because some species don't have every personality but then again, the campsite does take personalities into account.

Attachments

• D41CFA40-0655-4325-BE97-6AB9BC8FCE22.jpeg
    D41CFA40-0655-4325-BE97-6AB9BC8FCE22.jpeg
    659.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 4EFEEEA5-1B64-457E-AC18-19BF6BE40FE6.jpeg
    4EFEEEA5-1B64-457E-AC18-19BF6BE40FE6.jpeg
    585.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
I have a lot of rants that I’ll probably write about someday but right now I want to say that this game shouldn’t have been $60. For so little content in the base game that they’re just gonna add in with updates it should have at least been $40.
Agreed! Especially if, god forbid, they decide to add paid DLC that should've been part of the main game to begin with. Although at that point I think I would just give up on the game altogether lmao

Finally my 3rd villager since March 20th asked to move... but it was Willow and I want her to stay :( I guess I'll wait another 3 weeks or so for someone else to ask now since I don't TT

i was surprised to find out that you don't need to expand your rooms inside of your house. that being said, the left room is a little bit...small for me? my kitchen is a bit crammed because i want the dining table to be 2x2 rather than 2x1, and i also want to use the kitchen island which is also 2x2. it leaves no space for some stools to go in front of the kitchen island. guess i can still live with it, just with more wooden chests to act as countertops

It's been almost 2 weeks since the newest update and I haven't had Redd visit once :( I know he's available - from the first day Blathers mentioned art, and he continues to mention it whenever I donate a new fossil. It's really starting to frustrate me, what on Earth is up with his spawn chance!

I think the flowers are beautiful, but I hate how they multiply all over the place and end up in my walkways constantly. The process of having to move them with the shovel is a bit on the annoying side, too.

I've heard of using invisible custom patterns to stop them from spawning on certain places, but then you don't have the grass sound when you walk over it and that is just wrong to me. =P

whyyy why why is the top option on the medicine "drop item" instead of "take medicine" omg. i keep dropping my medicine and then having to pick it up again. it's probably like this in NL too and i'm just not remembering, i know, but in that case why didn't they change it.

I looked at all of the available paintings in ACNH. They still don’t have the American Gothic (the painting with the farmer and his wife, the farmer carrying a pitchfork). That was the one painting I was hoping to see in ACNH.

Too many duplicate DIYs. All I want are the DIYs for the benches but I keep getting DIYs for fruit stuff. u_u

Yes, you think my villagers would think about the fact that benches are missing from the town for them to sit on, but alas they keep on giving me the same recipes over and over again. My house is filled to the brim with them right now because I haven't been able to visit anyone recently.

Gotten 2 Hedge Standee and 3 Bonfire DIYs in the last two days, both of which I already knew, of course.

I’ve decided to stop trading because of the recent news regarding the save data corruption. It’s rare but it’s enough to freak me out. However. I did not realize how much fun I get playing mutiplayer sessions or trading. I’ve fashioned my island to breed flowers. I love breeding them then selling or trading them to other players. But now that aspect of my ACNH life is gone... Please nintendo. I’d love to play this game with others without any worries that what i’ve worked on has a chance of completely being destroyed with no way to get it back. It’s so frustrating and I can’t even imagine what those that have experienced it have gone through.

Back