• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!

The ACNH Rant Thread

This is my first post here and I know it's a little sad that it's in the rant thread.. 😅
But I really wanted a place to voice myself.

I have gotten this game at launch, and it's the first AC game I've been playing with dedication. I have New Leaf too but I honestly never really understood how it worked back then, even though I could've easily looked it up, lol and I'm a tiny bit bummed with myself that I never did. I knew about all the shops, characters, and whatnots. I just never dived deep into it, aside from my villagers.

I decided to go about it differently this time and I love New Horizons, don't get me wrong. My playtime can attest to that.
But there's just so many things that disappoint me. There are so many things lacking. From shops to characters to dialogue to actual things to do and most of it is just a grind to decorate your island and there's not even that many different looking items. I find myself creating the same cottagey style as everyone else, simply because that's mostly what the game has to offer you in terms of design. I appreciate that there's a release of a set every now and then.. but none of it is actually enough to throw around an entire island theme, even if you mixed and matched.

I'm missing so much of the social aspect. I struggle to form connections with my villagers, simply because if I have two of the same type; there's nothing that actually sets them apart aside from their looks and perhaps their homes. Not to mention that the dialogue is incredibly impersonal, short and repetitive. It gets a little better when you befriend them but it's like getting only a tiny breadcrumb. I don't care at all anymore if any of them leave; they don't enjoy talking to me multiple times a day anyway, and it makes me incredibly sad to feel this way. I always felt being part of your own little virtual community was the loveliest aspect of the game and now I'm nothing more but an acquaintance. A nuisance to them.

And there's just so little to do. Sure, I can decorate and decorate and decorate some more..
But if there's a moment I don't want to, there's really nothing of substance there.

I realize a lot will come with updates, like perhaps the café or gyroids, etc. Things that'll eventually stack up to make it alive and full - But I also can't wrap my head around the fact that these things weren't in it from the start. What happened to the days where you bought a full game, with all of its content available to you, and any update you got was just a happy extra or at least actual new content.

Then there's the fact that the slow drip-feed of content is just, well, too slow. There's way too much time between updates, which means you will have played a new feature to exhaustion when it comes out because you've already done the other things to exhaustion as well, and it quickly becomes stale again. I feel like if there was more to unlock in a reasonable pace from the get-go, the features wouldn't get tiring as fast because you have more options to choose from in your in-game day. Like I'd like to have the option to go wild decorating on one day, but chill, dance, communicate, visit my neighbors, run some errands for them and have a coffee the next - but it's just not there. When these things finally do come, if they ever do, it'll just feel too little too late imo.

The only thing that has kept me going is that someday, I might be proven wrong and it'll be an absolutely amazing game I will play for many more years to come. I just wish it had been that amazing game from the start.

Ugh and there's so much more, from the clunky craft system to storage and such - but I feel this has become lengthy enough already. My apologies. ❤😅

Last edited:
Why do you even have the option to give hats to your villagers if they’re just gonna put them in their house and never wear them again

Why do you even have the option to give hats to your villagers if they’re just gonna put them in their house and never wear them again
They do wear them, occasionally. I gave Phoebe one of my (duplicated) Birthday Hats and I sometimes see her out wearing it. The other animals I've given the hat to have done as you said, though. Cube's the strangest, preferring to use it in place of a TV, dusting it off weirdly...

My bigger wonder is still why Harv's Island doesn't let players put custom design clothes on animals but has no problem letting you dress up humans in them. That really should be added since they can wear all custom clothes fine on their own. (For anyone that argues it's up to the animal, that wouldn't make sense since I can put any top or hat on them at any time while I'm there, so why not custom designs?)

This is my first post here and I know it's a little sad that it's in the rant thread.. 😅
But I really wanted a place to voice myself.

I have gotten this game at launch, and it's the first AC game I've been playing with dedication. I have New Leaf too but I honestly never really understood how it worked back then, even though I could've easily looked it up, lol and I'm a tiny bit bummed with myself that I never did. I knew about all the shops, characters, and whatnots. I just never dived deep into it, aside from my villagers.

I decided to go about it differently this time and I love New Horizons, don't get me wrong. My playtime can attest to that.
But there's just so many things that disappoint me. There are so many things lacking. From shops to characters to dialogue to actual things to do and most of it is just a grind to decorate your island and there's not even that many different looking items. I find myself creating the same cottagey style as everyone else, simply because that's mostly what the game has to offer you in terms of design. I appreciate that there's a release of a set every now and then.. but none of it is actually enough to throw around an entire island theme, even if you mixed and matched.

I'm missing so much of the social aspect. I struggle to form connections with my villagers, simply because if I have two of the same type; there's nothing that actually sets them apart aside from their looks and perhaps their homes. Not to mention that the dialogue is incredibly impersonal, short and repetitive. It gets a little better when you befriend them but it's like getting only a tiny breadcrumb. I don't care at all anymore if any of them leave; they don't enjoy talking to me multiple times a day anyway, and it makes me incredibly sad to feel this way. I always felt being part of your own little virtual community was the loveliest aspect of the game and now I'm nothing more but an acquaintance. A nuisance to them.

And there's just so little to do. Sure, I can decorate and decorate and decorate some more..
But if there's a moment I don't want to, there's really nothing of substance there.

I realize a lot will come with updates, like perhaps the café or gyroids, etc. Things that'll eventually stack up to make it alive and full - But I also can't wrap my head around the fact that these things weren't in it from the start. What happened to the days where you bought a full game, with all of its content available to you, and any update you got was just a happy extra or at least actual new content.

Then there's the fact that the slow drip-feed of content is just, well, too slow. There's way too much time between updates, which means you will have played a new feature to exhaustion when it comes out because you've already done the other things to exhaustion as well, and it quickly becomes stale again. I feel like if there was more to unlock in a reasonable pace from the get-go, the features wouldn't get tiring as fast because you have more options to choose from in your in-game day. Like I'd like to have the option to go wild decorating on one day, but chill, dance, communicate, visit my neighbors, run some errands for them and have a coffee the next - but it's just not there. When these things finally do come, if they ever do, it'll just feel too little too late imo.

The only thing that has kept me going is that someday, I might be proven wrong and it'll be an absolutely amazing game I will play for many more years to come. I just wish it had been that amazing game from the start.

Ugh and there's so much more, from the clunky craft system to storage and such - but I feel this has become lengthy enough already. My apologies. ❤😅

No need to apologize. If you want to complain about something game related, regardless how little or small it is, this thread is the right place for that. 😊

I totally feel you in some ways more than others, but I understand all your points. I am trying really hard to make my island unique, but I feel like there is only so much that I can think of and try and not always a way to escape it looking the same or similar to everyone else’s designs.

Oh boy, I hate being a negative person, but what are the odds that for three consecutive days, one of my two cranky villagers (Chief and Elvis) are crafting a scarecrow...? 😭

Craft system is garbage. If you'll break it down you can really think about how trashy it is.
A: Craft something?
> yes!
> no!
B: Craft what?
> *select whatcha wanna craft*
C: *look at what it is you clicked on*
D : *click CRAFT*
E: craft item?
> yes!
> no!
F: *crafting cutscene*
G: "I made a *craftable thing"
H: Back to crafting list

absolutely ridiculous. So many things nintendo could do to make this function better.

I’m getting sick of villagers force-giving me **** that I don’t want. Back in the GameCube version, they’ll do it, but with a yes or no question. Now they’ll just give you items without even asking, even if you don’t want it. If I don’t want it, then WHY GIVE IT TO ME?!

I got to the point where I finally hit one of my villagers with a net when I would never do it. I’m also about to contact Nintendo about fixing this issue.

Petty rant about earning bells incoming:

I think this game more than the previous ones makes earning money and progressing such a slog. I don't do the stalk market so I'm left relying on the money rock, money trees, selling fossils, shells and bugs/fish exclusively to Flick and CJ to make all my money. That's all fine but the kicker is if I make e.g. 60k a day to go towards my bridge/ramp funds, I often see a basic furniture item I want at the store that inexplicably costs 60k bells so that day's chores feels like a waste. I'm not completely broke or anything but in every game I've had the goal of slowly increasing my savings in the bank which was super satisfying, but ever since I paid off my bigger home loans and started putting out my infrastructure a month ago it's been stagnant or decreasing which makes me sad. I'm not even halfway done with that. And I'm not even thinking about paying off the final loan lol.

I probably won't be feeling so bitter about it once all my bridges and ramps are built, but still. After that I was wanting to build a second house so expanding that will be a pain again. If they're going to have such expensive things to work for in this game they should make working towards it a bit less tedious and repetitive. At least make the clothes and stuff our villagers gift us, as well as flowers and trees and resources sell for more money so there's actually a difference between selling your extras or just throwing them out.

Anyway just needed to vent a bit!

Petty rant about earning bells incoming:

I think this game more than the previous ones makes earning money and progressing such a slog. I don't do the stalk market so I'm left relying on the money rock, money trees, selling fossils, shells and bugs/fish exclusively to Flick and CJ to make all my money. That's all fine but the kicker is if I make e.g. 60k a day to go towards my bridge/ramp funds, I often see a basic furniture item I want at the store that inexplicably costs 60k bells so that day's chores feels like a waste. I'm not completely broke or anything but in every game I've had the goal of slowly increasing my savings in the bank which was super satisfying, but ever since I paid off my bigger home loans and started putting out my infrastructure a month ago it's been stagnant or decreasing which makes me sad. I'm not even halfway done with that. And I'm not even thinking about paying off the final loan lol.

I probably won't be feeling so bitter about it once all my bridges and ramps are built, but still. After that I was wanting to build a second house so expanding that will be a pain again. If they're going to have such expensive things to work for in this game they should make working towards it a bit less tedious and repetitive. At least make the clothes and stuff our villagers gift us, as well as flowers and trees and resources sell for more money so there's actually a difference between selling your extras or just throwing them out.

Anyway just needed to vent a bit!

Yes, I feel this too! I tried the stalk market a couple of times but didn't enjoy it much. It felt like such a hassle and my own turnip prices are never any good, so I stick to fishing, fruit, money trees, rocks, bugs, and sea-creatures too. It's an extremely slow process, which is fine, but the good items in this game are so expensive that it usually flies out the door as soon as you've made any substantial amount of money. I actually dedicate entire in-game days to earning bells now, just so I don't have to worry about being able to pay a bridge, incline, or a piece of furniture for a few days because it's such a repetitive chore to do. 😅

Yes, I feel this too! I tried the stalk market a couple of times but didn't enjoy it much. It felt like such a hassle and my own turnip prices are never any good, so I stick to fishing, fruit, money trees, rocks, bugs, and sea-creatures too. It's an extremely slow process, which is fine, but the good items in this game are so expensive that it usually flies out the door as soon as you've made any substantial amount of money. I actually dedicate entire in-game days to earning bells now, just so I don't have to worry about being able to pay a bridge, incline, or a piece of furniture for a few days because it's such a repetitive chore to do. 😅
That's a good way to go about it! I'm kind of doing a thing where I won't pay off a bridge until I'm at a minimum amount of savings so it doesn't slowly wittle to zero 😅 But I'm thinking I ought to just get over that goal since it's going to make my progression so slow I'll just want to quit lol...

I kind of wish there was something like New Leaf's island beetle hunting where if I feel like grinding a few hours for a lot of money I can go and do that. As it is, expensive beetles spawn so rarely on my island they're essentially non-existent, and there's not really much I can do besides the usual chores.

Well unless you play turnips but Nintendo needs to realise not everyone is into that 😆

...I still haven't collected all of the DIYs from my villagers yet and I've gotten this game right when it released....

They seriously need to implement a way to get DIYs more easily for those that don't want to rely on trading...
Yes they do , lately my villagers only craft diys I already know. There are so many I still need that they can craft. Also can we get another way to get seasonal DIYs . Getting them from balloons is such a pain. I can’t seem to get the last two tree branch DIYs.

Wow I'm on a roll today...

Now that DIYs are brought up, why is collecting pinecones and acorns so tedious? I recently got a recipe for the leaf pile which requires 3 pinecones, and I must have spent 3 minutes straight mashing the A-button on a tree without even getting one! I got 40 twigs before I gave up and I'm actually starting to wonder if this is bad for the A button? It's probably not but it makes me angsty...

Also why do I need pinecones and weeds to make a pile of leaves!? Why can't I use the millions of leaves I just shook out of that poor tree!???? Or you know, twigs since they have leaves on them!?? Omg.

It's horrible how hard these are to get .

Just because I'm going to keep track of the items I get from balloons.
1:50 Sturdy Sewing box
Yes it is. I get they are rare but can they be a little less rare. That’s a good idea I should probably keep track of what I get . See if there is a pattern.

Wow I'm on a roll today...

Now that DIYs are brought up, why is collecting pinecones and acorns so tedious? I recently got a recipe for the leaf pile which requires 3 pinecones, and I must have spent 3 minutes straight mashing the A-button on a tree without even getting one! I got 40 twigs before I gave up and I'm actually starting to wonder if this is bad for the A button? It's probably not but it makes me angsty...

Also why do I need pinecones and weeds to make a pile of leaves!? Why can't I use the millions of leaves I just shook out of that poor tree!???? Or you know, twigs since they have leaves on them!?? Omg.
Glad I am not the only one concerned with killing the A button. On average I shake a tree 15 times before getting a pinecone/acorn.
Post automatically merged:

Yes it is. I get they are rare but can they be a little less rare. That’s a good idea I should probably keep track of what I get . See if there is a pattern.

Should we have a new thread for balloon tracking?

Back