• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Terraforming - Island Redesign -- volcanic island (inactive)

rustfour

Junk Collector
Bells
I have a pirate-esque theme going that I really like and am thinking of retooling about a third of my island as a volcanic crater. Think slow slopes outside sharper inside.

Here's my current draft. Pretty much the lower 1/2 of the map along a SW-to-NE diagonal is as it already is.

Thoughts? Things to consider? I won't have to move much right now as most of my town is already crammed into that lower right area.

1588091965944.png

It does look interesting. If you can make it work, I'd love to see it.

I think it may take a lot of time to terraform those cliffs the way you want them..

Looks like such an awesome idea!
I will say you might need to widen some of the cliffs. In my opinion one block wide cliffs look very jarring since they're forced to be rectangular.

Keep in mind it can also be pretty tricky to decorate super narrow spaces.​

It does look interesting. If you can make it work, I'd love to see it.

I think it may take a lot of time to terraform those cliffs the way you want them..

Yeah... I can put the time in, that's okay.

Looks like such an awesome idea!
I will say you might need to widen some of the cliffs. In my opinion one block wide cliffs look very jarring since they're forced to be rectangular.

Keep in mind it can also be pretty tricky to decorate super narrow spaces.​

Right now I've left the island with a fairly natural feel so I don't have a lot of decoration in the non-occupied areas...

I'm wondering if I want to widen out the rim of the crater and make it habitable. That map is really more of a guideline than the final layout.

This is good input - thanks peeps. I'll be left with a pretty unusable lip to the crater right now, but I mayyyy be okay with that? ...would be nice to at least be walkable for weeding and maybe some flower planting along it...

So, starting map (very few modifications):
1588098715132.png

And I've sort of been using this as inspiration:

1588098766124.png

I'm thinking I'll start by tearing down a small section of the island in the upper left as a test bed. See how different shapes actually look and play out before I wreck my map. I wish there was a Creative mode to test this stuff out first...

I absolutely love the thought! Maybe some small detail to consider as well is that the waterfalls can only go down straight and not really turned/twisted like you have it on your test map. ^^

I’ve been thinking recently how cool it would be if you could terraform in some lava. The other islanders might not like it, but it sounds fun.

I absolutely love the thought! Maybe some small detail to consider as well is that the waterfalls can only go down straight and not really turned/twisted like you have it on your test map. ^^

Thanks for the feedback! I'll factor that in. ^^

Mag-ma. XD

Going to probably start with A/B4 and work there, see how it looks. I can undo that damage fairly easily if I want and there's nothing of note there right now.

I tried to do something similar in my town by creating a lake in the center of a circle of cliffs - I wanted to be able to see the surrounding of cliffs from the front of the lake. I started out with a similar size as you are planning, but found it needed to be a much smaller circle in order to see the cliffs surround the valley.

If you want to feel like you are "in" the volcano, I would suggest widening the cliffs inwards towards the center, and a 4th tier might help the depth factor as well. I hope that made sense LOL

That's a really neat idea!

I wonder if it would look good to try to force 1 or 2 of your rocks to spawn in the crater. I've been to the Hawaii Volcanoes Park and they have a lava lake there where the lava has completely cooled and solidified, and is safe to walk over. It's very rocky.

That looks amazing!!! I had to do a TON of moving / terraforming for my island, but it turned out SO great, and was definitely worth mapping out!! All the best to you and would love if you posted updates as you build!!
HappyIslandDesigner_1587519271234.png

Back