• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

TBT’s Fourth Egg Decorating Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately not! We've disallowed this concept in the past: like was stated here a few egg contests ago
it would be nice if you guys formally carried forward any rules that you do not want broken into current events. when i read the FAQ for this project it seemed to me that the only issue with my design was that i didn't have an egg (craft or real).

additionally, you guys are allowing non-egg builds in the form of egg holders for judging. if i cut my yarn egg in half and put an egg inside it, is it acceptable then as an egg holder??

i think my attempt falls within the guidelines, but i guess i will try again in some other fashion.

thanks for the insight, @Mick. While I appreciate the elaboration on the effort sentiment, none of us mentioned penalizing an entry for being low effort (which totally should is justified), but more on the “outdo the rest”. I think mods should be a bit more careful on expressing such sentiment as you all are ultimately judging the entries.

changing gears, I also think it is unfair to enforce a rule from a previous egg contest (from 3 years ago) since not everyone may be familiar with previous years (nor have participated)

I would like to note in this year’s FAQ:
Q. What can I use to decorate my egg?
A. If you really want to make your egg stand out then glitter, craft paper, pipe cleaners, stick-on eyes, cotton wool, and similar items are all acceptable to add to your egg.

Q. What can I not use to decorate my egg?
A. If it's not a traditional craft material or you didn't make it yourself by hand then it is prohibited. e.g. if you were to glue a toy hat on your egg then this would not be okay because you didn't make the hat yourself. You may not use stickers (beyond stick-on eyes) or anything that has been made digitally. If you're unsure about a material you wish to use then feel free to ask.

this allows the attachment of cotton wool (which crocheting falls under) and does not state anything relating to disallowing crochet or knitting covers for the eggs. I think if this past rule is being enforced as a rule for this year’s contest, it should be added here for fairness.
I didn't realise you were also commenting on the 'more effort' aspect instead, oops! Trying to make your entry stand out from the rest is understandable and expected. There is no such thing as 'too much effort,' it's just that the proposed concepts are at this point pushing the limits of the prompt.

Crocheted and knitted attachments are allowed, but we discourage people from covering their egg entirely. We usually look to past editions for consistency, as without major changes people will assume the same rules apply again. I agree that it could have been clarified in the FAQ and have taken note of this for next time! If you still have feedback after this point, please put it in the Contact the Staff board so that we can properly discuss it without distracting the submissions thread too much.

it would be nice if you guys formally carried forward any rules that you do not want broken into current events. when i read the FAQ for this project it seemed to me that the only issue with my design was that i didn't have an egg (craft or real).

additionally, you guys are allowing non-egg builds in the form of egg holders for judging. if i cut my yarn egg in half and put an egg inside it, is it acceptable then as an egg holder??

i think my attempt falls within the guidelines, but i guess i will try again in some other fashion.
Again, sorry for not adding this to the FAQ between events. The rules will be reconsidered for next time, but I'll make sure it gets in there if it still applies then.

Turning your work into an egg holder is an option, as long as the egg is visible! Do note that while egg holders will be considered part of your entry, they cannot be the only part, and we would like the egg to not be a plain egg.

I have to applaud the creativity and the skills for knitting an egg, but given that we've already said no to creating your own egg out of things like clay and resin we're not going to be able to accept this, sorry!

Speaking of: we've noticed a bit of discussion in this thread and wanted to weigh in ourselves. The original intention of this event was to have it represent the more classical approach where eggs are simply painted. With this being a contest, it seems to have sort of escalated into a situation where people want more creative freedom to outdo the rest, or simply their own entries from previous years. We're going to see what we can do for that for whenever this event runs neggst, but hopefully everyone can see how it would be strange to change the event rules midway through (especially after others have already finished their entries)!
I thought that add on text was your signature and was wondering why you had all that in your signature

Unrelated, its probably not viable as not everyone would have access to certain materials but I think a fun event would be specifying what items we can use and saying nothing else. E.g You may only use egg, clay, paints, pens etc etc and then it limits what people can use and forces them to be creative with what they've got.

Could be fun

Looking forward to seeing what everybody has to offer for this event. I'm not really artistic, so my entry will probably just end up being a participation one! Good luck to those who are going to be putting in a ton of effort for this!

Since plastic eggs are allowed... is it fine to use a 3D printed egg (PLA filament, not resin)?

Edit: nvm I saw that this question was basically answered like a page back, oopsies

Last edited:
When it's put that way, the restrictions make a lot more sense. Even though 'decorating' is the traditional term for egg painting, the use of that word does make it sound pretty open-ended, so it also makes sense for people to feel like their creativity is being stifled. Maybe two judging categories (painting and decorating) would be a way to make it fair for the future.

Anyways, I need to get to actually decorating mine!
I love this idea! I only hope to paint an egg that is "acceptable for participation" (and am totally fine with that), so I'd be in the 'painted' category. 😁

But I really love seeing how complex and creative people can be with decorating these eggs! It's crazy how talented people are in this forum. I wouldn't want to miss seeing those creations...

Reactions: Doo
Wanted to ask a question of my own here if I may- I’d love to participate in this, and was wondering if I’d be able to use minimal Diamond drills from leftover Diamond paint by numbers? For my idea I want to do, the egg will be painted completely, with small additions of some extra Diamond drills I have laying around. Would that be okay? If you need more clarification Lmk!❤️

𐙚 ‧₊˚ ⋅ Happiny, the Playhouse Pokémon ‧₊˚ ⋅𐙚

20240402_155653.jpg

🎀
It carries a round, white rock in its belly pouch. Happiny’s willing to lend its precious round stone to those it’s friendly with, but if the stone isn’t returned, Happiny will cry and throw a tantrum. It gets along well with children and will sometimes play house with them for fun.
SHEESH all i had around the condo was modeling clay and a kid’s paint set 😭 tried looking everywhere for airdry clay but i couldn’t so after adding clay to the egg, i decided to just paint over the modelling clay (??) it worked so whatever. never thought i’d see the day i’d paint on playdoh lol

also it took me FOREVER to paint the egg because the poster color would not stick….. i dont know anything about material compatibility so i just kept painting over and over the areas where the paint would not stick (like if the paint was too wet it would just slide right off the egg) 😭 it eventually stuck once dried but it looks kinda messy if you look closely 😭

20240331_005054.jpg

^ me taking 2 hours to paint a single color over an egg. good job me

20240402_001729.jpg

^ chaos ensues. as seen in picture: kid’s paint set, modelling clay, egg. and one paintbrush. thats it thats all i had

20240402_152220.jpg

^ made tiny eggs based on the egg collectibles! they are all clay

Omurice for breakfast, anyone? 😋🎌🍙🍳🎌 I must say, Barold eggs make a decent breakfast in the hands of the right chef. 😎👍 I know only the egg counts for this contest, but I just wanted to have some delicious fun. 😁 (the egg was decorated in Sharpie marker and my username is written there in spicy mayo. the ketchup bottle was too messy to write with... 😅)
barold_omurice_easter_egg.jpg

There were so many awesome and original ideas in the past years, I'm amazed that you're still finding more wonderful ideas. I really don't know what to do..

There were so many awesome and original ideas in the past years, I'm amazed that you're still finding more wonderful ideas. I really don't know what to do..
I usually start thinking of random ideas that would look well on an egg; and sort of narrow it down to ideas where I have the the right materials; as well as being able to have time to get it done~
Dunno if that helps?
Post automatically merged:

Here's my entry~
I was trying to do a sort of marble design :D

Screenshot 2024-04-02 20.17.20.png

Last edited:
I felt very confident about this entry when I made it but looking in this thread made me realise that I misunderstood the scale of the task. Regardless, it was good fun and the time I spent painting them was a much needed break.
I opted to use paints made for warhammer figures because it was the most accessible, and those companies sell these teeny paintbrushes that are good for this kind of stuff. I also made the ‘hay’ and the crate with masking tape and glue ! It really was good fun all in all, Im just mad but because my back camera isn’t working right now I had to use my partners old android to take this picture… they really do look better IRL </3

HqwfyXK.jpeg

Doodle egg! After the colors weren't sticking, I ended up using the only paint i had that delivered a smooth, even coverage, and a surface to doodle on - rustoleum! Materials used - rustoleum and brush sharpies.
(Had to resize images. Hope they're ok.)

20240402_201731.jpg

The beautiful dark green paint turned out nearly transparent on the egg, so gave up on a green egg w/ flowers. Also, other failed doodles...
20240402_201820.jpg

20240402_201749.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back