Splatoon Splatoon General Discussion (HYPE THREAD)

I've reached max in Splatfest but I still don't understand what 1000 or so power points mean lol. I notice that it's much faster to level up now whenever your team is winning (you get 7-8 points per match).

I believe Ranked rankings are determined by the amount of wins you've had in the past 20 games, with the person with the highest being at the top. This effectively means you can got 0/30 and be at the top while someone can get 30/0 and be at the very bottom.

- - - Post Merge - - -

And as for the splat power; I'm not exactly sure how it works but I think the power is used to team you up with people of the same skill while putting your on a leader board. I think you also get extra points for being the top scorer but I don't think rest relates to splat power.

Splat power was confusing. You gained/lost 10 each match, less if you were short players. When the match started, it would say the two powers for the teams as well as a "x number" thing, which didn't make any sense as to how they were calculated or what those squid numbers meant. I also noticed that when you drop down (which is all I did) you face those with low splat powers as well. So when I dropped down to 1200 (yep) I faced those with 1200.

I also believe they said something about still getting points depending on how good you do individually, but I saw nothing with regards to that. If I had gotten extra points for being top even when losing, it wouldn't have taken me four hours to go from Champion to King.

Splat power was confusing. You gained/lost 10 each match, less if you were short players. When the match started, it would say the two powers for the teams as well as a "x number" thing, which didn't make any sense as to how they were calculated or what those squid numbers meant. I also noticed that when you drop down (which is all I did) you face those with low splat powers as well. So when I dropped down to 1200 (yep) I faced those with 1200.

I also believe they said something about still getting points depending on how good you do individually, but I saw nothing with regards to that. If I had gotten extra points for being top even when losing, it wouldn't have taken me four hours to go from Champion to King.

Your supposed to get like 2 extra points if you come top of your team. Don't know if it happens while losing, but it happened to me once.
It's basically the ranked battle system. Your starting points are based off what rank you are. Then the plus 10/ lose 10 on if you win or lose.
I think the x number thing with the group squid icon is supposed to be the average amount of wins that team has. Same for the team splat power.

But yeah, I get what you mean. I've won maybe a total of 5 matches and I've lost all the rest. I still got about 2/3 to go before I reach Queen. The change splatfest was great in theory, but it just makes climbing the ranks more of a chore and it's kinda sucked all the fun out of it and replaced it with anger and frustration. I feel like I'm being shoved with idiots or the enemy team is secretly all S ranked in reality.

I don't know. Maybe some of the others have had better luck or since it's the first splatfest with this change, it may undergo some tweaking before the next one :/ I personally hate it though. I get enough grief from bad teams in normal ranked. I don't need it splatfest too. ?_?

The "x number" thing is how many games your team or each individual have played consecutively. I'm not sure whether that represents the team or each person, I was trying to look for it but I couldn't find it anywhere.

Your supposed to get like 2 extra points if you come top of your team. Don't know if it happens while losing, but it happened to me once.

But yeah, I get what you mean. I've won maybe a total of 5 matches and I've lost all the rest. I still got about 2/3 to go before I reach Queen. The change splatfest was great in theory, but it just makes climbing the ranks more of a chore and it's kinda sucked all the fun out of it and replaced it with anger and frustration. I feel like I'm being shoved with idiots or the enemy team is secretly all S ranked in reality.

I don't know. Maybe some of the others have had better luck or since it's the first splatfest with this change, it may undergo some tweaking before the next one :/ I personally hate it though. I get enough grief from bad teams in normal ranked. I don't need it splatfest too. ?_?

It's only when winning apparently since I came on top nearly every time. Don't see why we'd need even more bonuses for winning, it doesn't help those who are struggling.

Yeah I only won about 5 matches too. The whole "playing with your skill level" matchup is great and all, but all it got me were laggy snipers (lag in general really, dunno how many times I'd activate Bubbler just as someone was about to kill me only for it not to work and I'd just die, or the reverse where I hit someone 5 times and then they activate the Bubbler) and 7yos who lost their way to lv 50.

Some of my other friends were all "oh I didn't have any problems" proving once again just how bad my luck is.

The "x number" thing is how many games your team or each individual have played consecutively. I'm not sure whether that represents the team or each person, I was trying to look for it but I couldn't find it anywhere.

Team makes more sense, but then how come when I joined the numbers would be like "x5" already? I hadn't played with that team before, so since I'm a "new player" it should technically be a "new team".

It's only when winning apparently since I came on top nearly every time. Don't see why we'd need even more bonuses for winning, it doesn't help those who are struggling.

Yeah I only won about 5 matches too. The whole "playing with your skill level" matchup is great and all, but all it got me were laggy snipers (lag in general really, dunno how many times I'd activate Bubbler just as someone was about to kill me only for it not to work and I'd just die, or the reverse where I hit someone 5 times and then they activate the Bubbler) and 7yos who lost their way to lv 50.

Some of my other friends were all "oh I didn't have any problems" proving once again just how bad my luck is.

Team makes more sense, but then how come when I joined the numbers would be like "x5" already? I hadn't played with that team before, so since I'm a "new player" it should technically be a "new team".

We should just make a bad luck club. XD For our rotten luck in team match ups, dumb deaths and just general bad luck playing the game~ XDD

I got slightly better luck on the last 20 points to Queen. Found a pretty good team with me as the sniper. Though the roller on the team for the first few matches kept walking in front of me and kept blocking my shots several times. (On purpose too since I would move and they'd follow). I guess they had bad luck with other snipers or something? Once I proved I was a decent sniper who could hold turf we claimed, they defended me from players in my blindspots or trying to sneak on me. So yay? XD

I have to admit, I was getting frustrated at the amount of players who seemed to have gotten to the higher levels by dumb luck. (The amount of people I saw putting beacons on spawn...)

I don't know. Maybe I just need another few splatfests where I don't lose as bad as I did in this one. I was starting to doubt myself on how capable I was considering when I left the lobby at the end, I was playing with all B rank players. Kinda scared to go back to ranked, but I want to get to S for squads. *sigh*

Wow no one has posted in a week.

Ty Spyke for 3 run speed ups on my 18K Aviators

Last edited:
No replies here for a while, might as well bump it with my dumb adventures into ranked today. Mode was Tower Control and the maps were Walleye and Phirana Pit.

I was losing a bunch with my Zink Mini Splatling because people don't understand the simple concept of GET ON THE TOWER. (It only moved forward when I was on it.) I ranked down to A and decided to just use the Inkbrush. One of the worst ranked weapons on it's absolute worst mode by far. (Vanilla Inkbrush, Inkbrush Nouveau is the worst weapon period and the Permanent Inkbrush isn't that great either. Vanilla is the best of the 3 imo) And everything that happened made me question how people made it up to A. Actually I don't know how they got past C.

First round I was partnered with a Gold Dynamo, E Liter 3K Scope, and Splattershot Pro. I got 9 splats which was more than the 3 of them combined (don't remember how many each specific weapon got, but I remember seeing 4, 0, and 1. So 5 total between the 3 of them.) I kinda wanted to stop playing but it actually got fun. I even solo Aced the other team at one point. With an Inkbrush. Seriously, just how do you let your entire team get wiped out by a single Inkbrush. And the last battle, that just tied everything together. Another solo Ace and I got 12 splats total, the highest of all 8 players.

...I quit this game.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I should also say that I'm not trying to get splats, the only 2 things I'm trying to do is 1. GET ON THE TOWER THERE'S A REASON IT'S CALLED TOWER CONTROL and 2. Be annoying c:

New Splatfest is Spongebob vs Patrick!

I'll probably choose Patrick, but I haven't decided yet.

I'm not too bothered by this splatfest tbh. Kinda indifferent since I liked spongebob as a kid but as the seasons went on, it became too weird....

Not sure what side I'll pick though.

Anyway, what does everyone think of the new weapons? I love using the new squiffer and mini splatling. Though I have yet to try out the rest of the weapons. May try the new dynamo tomorrow....

just got this game on Wednesday and ooooh it's so so good honestly
I suck so bad at it but when I do get 4 kills and 2 deaths in a match it feels great!
One round I was using the minigun deco splatling thing and I got 9 kills and 3 deaths or something. It was super fun.

So the Spongebob/Patrick Splatfest wasn't Nintendo pulling our leg! I honestly don't know who to go for, so I might just wait and see which is more popular. If not, Spongebob.

Back